Have you considered paring back to just one or 2 guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    TimmyO said:
    Have you considered paring back to just one or 2 guitars?
    I have.  And then I dismissed the idea and thought about something else instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I have no guitars at present. So... I’d gladly take 2 :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8841
    It aIn’t gonna happen. Let me explain why.

First, I have two acoustics, one which I bought for folk clubs and open mic nights and I’m willing to take out of the house, and one which I inherited and isn’t going anywhere.

Secondly, I have guitars of different styles that I’ve collected to suit the needs of different bands I’ve played in: Fly, SA2200, PRS. I have never sold a guitar, and don’t intend to, which means these three will stick around even if I don’t play them any more. Thinking about it, there also a bass and an NS-Stick too.

Then there’s a collection of partscasters which I’ve put together over the last five years. I’m experimenting with different design ideas. The latest two partscasters get gigged as main and spare. The older ones might get cannibalised.

Actually I subscribe to the idea of having only one or two guitars, and knowing all their nuances. If I were a professional player that’s what I’d be doing. In practice my interest is in exploring guitar design by rethinking 1950s designs using 21st Century materials and manufacturing techniques. So two is a good philosophy, but it’s not my personal journey.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    LOL WTF NO...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17861
    tFB Trader
    For years I only had one guitar, one pedal and one amp and I was perfectly happy and played loads of gigs.

The most I've ever had was 5 guitars, but I always find I only play the ones I like the best so despite having 4 at the moment I only play 2 of them (DGT & Strat) and the others I'm trying to sell.

I find it a bit odd when I see someone with 20 odd mid range guitars and wonder if they all get played and what the point is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
    Heresy

Even cutting to 2 dozen would be hard ;-)
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4156
    No don't be silly
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2019
    I usually hover between 4-6. Currently 5. But when my PRS got stolen in 2016. Having the other guitars made
    it feel less of a blow.

Also, I’ve had situations in the past where I’ve lived in a different place to the band I’m in, so I’d have a whole rig in London and then another rig at home. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've had thoughts about the whole "learn one specific guitar inside and out" thing.

Another way to look at it though - was watching a video from the great Tim Pierce the other day who was having a jam with a guest and had initially grabbed his PRS Custom. But when the guest played a part that was fast and similar to what Tim had in mind, he decided to deliberately go for a guitar with a less comfortable neck to make it more of a challenge to play and force him in to a different playing style.

I liken it to playing in different keys on keyboard instruments - it's not just moving up or down a fret, each key is a totally different pattern of black and white keys so can inspire playing differently. I think anything that takes you away from the automatic muscle memory mode can be inspiring.

So on that note, while it could be appealing to be completely familiar with a single guitar, having multiple that all feel different can inspire different playing.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I plan to do this at the start of every year and by the end of every year I have more than I started it with...

so it ain’t going to happen for me
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I constantly think about cutting back bit can never decide what to cut back on... 
    I have 2 main electrics that aren't going anywhere.. 1 for sentiment which I've had for a long time, and has been heavily gigged.. but it's not a particularly good guitar, but i like it, and the other is an upgrade to that one that outperforms it by miles. Same brand, shape etc but the premium model, and it is great, saying that if I started giving again I'm not sure which one I would take.. 

Then there are the rest... Unfortunately there are mostly compelling reasons not to move these on. Every now and then I decide to remove one.. then I never do.. 
    The 335 is going. It's totally out the door. Don't hold your breath watching the classifieds.. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Two Electrics and Two Acoustics (one part finished partscaster which in truth I'm not really fussed about)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1039
    I did slightly think about it - and have got rid of quite a few recently - but it's nice having a few different ones although I only play 2 of them about 90% of the time. Also useful - had to record a solo for the album my band has done, and couldn't come up with anything good...so switched to an old 80's Tele I got a couple of years ago - different tone, inspiration straight away and it just worked. It has been good to de-clutter though - loads more space in my studio room.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2272
    I currently have a Strat and a Les Paul. My Gretsch Jet meets them in the middle and i rarely play my es125. I've played the rickenbacker about twice a year since 2008. 

I'm ignoring basses and acoustics and two drum kits I don't play.

So lets have a fantasy where I am a global guitar phenom playing originals.I would own two gretsch jets. However I'm a hobbyist with too many guitars and I'll probably buy a Telecaster.

Or a Jazzmaster. 

Or both.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Throughout the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, I made do with just one guitar, so clearly it's not impossible.
    I can only play one at a time.
    In contrast, I own about 10 banjos.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4863
    edited May 2019
    There's a nagging thought inside my head that says "Good guitarists only need one guitar". It isn't true. There's another that says "If I only had one or two guitars, I'd be a better guitarist". That's not true either. 

So, because I know that's not true, despite what my insecurity as a guitarist is telling me, I'm OK about having guitars I might only play for a few hours a year. When I do play them, I get something out of them that my main guitars don't give me. It's enjoyable to play them and I play for pleasure. It's not my job. I'm not in a working band entertaining people. 

Like everyone else, I've got one electric and one acoustic that I play 90%+ of the time and consider my "main" guitars, but I've managed to drop the guilt over owning the rest. 

Luckily! 

PS: I'm starting to get the same about amps. I didn't expect that, TBH, but I'm currently looking for a Carr Mercury (8w model, not the V) and - for the first time - I'm not thinking about selling something to help pay for it. Why? (Wait for it...) Because my wife has told me that's a daft idea and I'll only regret selling something. After 30+ years together, the plan is finally working! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72970
    Sassafras said:

I can only play one at a time.
    In contrast, I own about 10 banjos.
    Since you can only play one of those at a time too, I admire your public spiritedness in keeping the other nine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 859
    Let's say theoretically you've chosen to go down to one or two (sounds like some of you have), what would be your pickup choice/configuration (if electric)? 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2942
    edited May 2019
    ^one with dual humbuckers, one with dual P90s probably. That covers everything I'd want since I have no time for normal singlecoil tones. If only one then dual humbuckers, preferably ones that split ok too.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5102
    Yes, I’ve done this.

For a long time - in fact, not long after I found the old Music Radar classifieds - I had a revolving door of gear purchases, kept loads, sold some, bought others. It was a standing joke at rehearsals that I never had the same guitar more than two weeks.

After a while it dawned on my that my playing was at a standstill because I was constantly adjusting to the feel of a new/different guitar so I decided to stop all the horse trading, stick with two (a Tele and a Junior) and my playing progressed again. Been that way for about 2 years now, works far better for me.
    What about the Les Paul and 335?   ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/