Have you considered paring back to just one or 2 guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I tried it for a bit, not buying any new guitars.

I ended up with about 53 amps.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Think this question is partly dependent on how many different genres one wants to dabble in. Some styles eg Metal/ EVH/ Satriani type shred, require a particular type of instryment, often equipped with Floyd Rose etc.

Id like a Floyd equipped charvel but kidding myself that I’d actually have time to explore that kind of thing in addition to everything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    edited May 2019
    Yes I've been down to just 1 electric for a while. It was nice and liberating at first but I'm starting to want some variety again now. I really regret selling my Les Paul, just feel like there's something missing without one! I don't want multiples of the same guitar type though, I suspect in time I'll end up with a Les Paul as my main guitar again, then a Tele or Jr for stripped back P90 stuff.

I reckon 3 is enough variety without going overboard. There's a lot of sense in the LP - Tele -  something light trifecta! I've kind of decided I won't sell off any amps or guitars any more as I tend to regret it and it's always worth more to me than the money I get for it, as I've discovered the hard way.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I’m down to a Strat, Les Paul and an Acoustic 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I think this depends on whether you regularly play an acoustic and an electric. So I’d want one steel string acoustic, one nylon and two electrics for gigging in case one explodes or something!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566
    It’s my dream to get to 2, and the easy part is that I have those two - a Custom shop Strat and a Suhr Alt T, the other 3 electrics are topping. I spend what little play time I have flipping between them, not really connecting with any of them and it really annoys me. Prob is when you have good guitars with different voices you can kid yourself that you need that alternative voice, but once you live without it it’s not really missed. Need to just don it, also thinking of trimming my pedalboard back too. I like the idea of going right back to basics, when I started I had “a guitar and amp” - what a simple pleasure rather than faffing around with man toys.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6820
    edited May 2019
    I'm down to three, excluding my bizarre Esquire with a Strat shaped headstock..... It's a great knockabout instrument and worth chips or possibly less, but sounds and feels great. I may sell it one day but who knows?

Oh, and a lovely Larrivée parlour, which I love and does all my acoustic gigs. And a crazy old Antoria Hummingbird that I don't know what to do with. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2967

To misquote Vivian Stanshall’s character, Sir Henry Rawlinson, “if I had all the money I’ve spent on guitars, I’d spend it on guitars.”
    One of my favourite films, and a perfect misquote. :)

Over the last five years I've bought quite a lot of guitars (and enjoyed it), and sold almost as many (painlessly). I've now got as many as I can find room for, and not a single one I feel disposed to sell. That's a good place to be - anything I desire has to be matched with a willingness to sell. But I guess it could be an issue, if I had a lot of space :)

Let's face it, we could all survive without a guitar (it has been done), but we don't want to. So why limit yourself to one or two - unless you want to?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19303
    Whenever I navel gaze about this notion, my thoughts are not about the guitars so much as the money tied up in them.

To misquote Vivian Stanshall’s character, Sir Henry Rawlinson, “if I had all the money I’ve spent on guitars, I’d spend it on guitars.”
    not sure if that should be a LOL or Wiz - Like that quote

I think we've had such chatter before - I can't think of one famous guitar hero that is a one guitar man - So why should I adopt such a policy

To be honest I'd love to master one guitar - But it ain't going to happen - After all Tiger Woods has had to learn to handle 14 clubs 
    And an irate wife, mistresses, the media etc. 
    I'll stick to my guitars thanks  ;)

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6820
    Bigsby said:

One of my favourite films, and a perfect misquote. :)

And in the original, the best line ever to have come out of Trevor Howard's mouth! 
  • I’m on 4 (from 12) with two up for sale now (anyone want a Jazzmaster ;-) )
    the two remaining are Partscasters I built myself & I don’t think I’ll ever bring myself to part with either as I’m attached to them, proud of them & being an Esquire and HH Tele Deluxe do COMPLETELY different things for me. 

I DO quite fancy a Variax so the I’ll have one guitar that can cover LOTS of bases.... 3 is a magic number after all. 

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4233
    I've got three at the moment, and a bass. It's far fewer than I used to have, but I've been thinking it's too many: I have two Floyd Rose equipped superstrats and a hardtail (Charvel) Tele, which covers everything I need - especially since I mostly play metal & rock, so I don't need a ton of different sounds,
    I could definitely go down to one superstrat, but there's no way I could choose between them so they're both staying for now... the bass is going though, so that will leave an empty hanger on the wall... hmmm...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    Keep trying, keep failing.
    I love the concept but when it comes down to it -which ones go, which should stay?

Finances were and are the best way of limiting a collection. I was a far better player back when I was a penniless musician, I gigged most nights of the week but only had one acoustic and one good electric plus a crappy backup. 

The complacency of age seems to breed more guitars and less playing unfortunately. And though less is most definitely more, less is bloody hard!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I might have done it a few years ago, but since I started building my own they have become a different thing to just being an instrument. They are something that I feel proud of, that give me a sense of achievement. I've made 4, I'm on no:5 and I have three others waiting in the wings to start. So it is now looking like I will always have at least 8 guitars!

I do plan to sell all guitars that I haven't made myself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8085
    I tried to get down to three. I’ve now got ten. It’s a fun journey, but a pointless exercise ;) 
  • skayskay Frets: 396
    If you have 10 guitars, but only ever play 2 of them,  then isn't that practically the same thing?

You don't have to sell any of them not to play them, that way you get to experience the whole 'getting to know one guitar inside and out', and then you've still got the others to enjoy when you realise that it's not quite so zen and life changing as you thought, and are glad you didn't let the others go for peanuts.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3823
    Yes. Just got my Williams as my #1. My DGT is up for sale to fund a second Williams. The third I own was a gift, a ‘73 SG, which I can’t move on - but I’m not enamoured of the neck, so want two others.

When that mission is accomplished, I’ll find another reason.  Until then...

PS I also have an old Hofner acoustic but not counting it ;)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    edited May 2019
    I would. I spent 20 years with just one electric guitar. Now I have five, and have owned and sold/traded four more. If I could magically swap what I paid for them then I'd probably be willing to go down to just one.

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I'm down to 3 electrics from 6.. a Tele, a strat and a hollow body. I think I could go even further and down to 2 but happy with the 50% reduction rate!
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1417
    Just the one acoustic and electric wise, I’ll have it down to a baritone, frankenstrat, partsmaster, offset custom 77, danelectro convertible but if I had to pair it down I could live with the acoustic, partsmaster and the baritone. Which I might do !