Albums you like that are not typical of your usual preferences

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9869
    edited May 2019

A friend of mine recommended me Ryan Adam's album of Taylor Swift covers. It sounded like an effing dreadful concept and was full expecting to hate it, but actually rather enjoyed it!

Even ended up coving a couple of the tracks myself with said friend at some acoustic gigs.

Yes it is excellent, although I already liked Adams' music and was a fan of that album as well. I've segued from his cover of Wonderwall into his cover Blank Space several times at acoustic gigs
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    Ellie Goulding's Halcyon
    I got a lol for this but I'm being genuine, it's a brilliant album and much better than her other efforts. Lovely synth textures that work quite well with her voice, much more ambitious than her other stuff
    I think Ellie is a talented lass.  When she first came out I couldn't stand her music (what the f**k was "under the sheets" about anyhow?) but she has grown into quite a unique musician.

Some killer pop songs under her belt as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    I suppose my nomination would have to include my intense dislike of most Folk Music, but I love the soundtrack to the Wicker Man.

I try and be open minded but most folk music, folk rock etc. leaves me cold.  Never liked Mumford and Sons.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1280
    edited September 2023
    k

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27217
    Lorde - Pure Heroine. 
    Proper good that album. So so good. 
    Melodrama is better, so I guess that’s my #1 addition to this thread.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1030
    Lorde - Pure Heroine. 
    Proper good that album. So so good. 
    Melodrama is better, so I guess that’s my #1 addition to this thread.
    Ha, I've tried to like Melodrama but it hasn't had quite the same impact on me yet. It is slowly growing on me though. Particularly that one track that sounds sorta Kate Bush like, not that I can remember the name right now. 
  • LightB4soundLightB4sound Frets: 161
    Music for airport - Brian Eno
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    edited May 2019
    Normally I would not cross the street to hear them but ‘The Corrs - Unplugged’ CD was part of a bundle I bought recently from a Charity Shop. I always listen to every CD I buy from such sources, a lot is donated to other Charity Shops, but I was impressed with their cover of ‘Everybody Hurts’. The violin adds unexpected character to the arrangement combined with the slightly different guitar playing makes the song sound the same but different. An album that I did not expect to like but, to my surprise, I do. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I'm just listening to a Chic box set.

It seems like there's the singles and a load of filler tracks.

The bass lines are all rather samey too.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'm really not a fan of 80s pop, but I do like the album 'Go West' by Go West. It's great.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited May 2019
    I don’t care too much about that early 80s death metal sound but I love Celtic Frost. Tom Warrior’s riffs are really innovative - nothing sounds quite like their first three records. 

there’s also a few 80s Detroit techno albums I enjoy. DT is quite interesting as it was a scene born out of the use of the Roland 303 and 606 (the 808 later on) which were originally meant to be practice instruments for guitarists. A Roland 303 cost something like £120 back in the day, probably less, yet they fetch 3k on eBay these days!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNz01ty-kTQ&ebc=ANyPxKrX1lgeIHFzoqJK4okxl4IXK_bWvNYZ1gMWrSuvy5cTIaJOLjAXNbtkiQCKI4PGebbeZwSJUl3hOWXU1SWXXtR0QN_fbA
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • vonLayzonfonvonLayzonfon Frets: 108
    Free Me - Emma Bunton
    The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
    KY & Lost Horizons - Lemon Jelly

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427

I try and be open minded but most folk music, folk rock etc. leaves me cold.  Never liked Mumford and Sons.
    Obviously you're free to like or dislike what you want, but please don't write off folk music on account of Mumford & Sons, because they have precisely fuck all to do with folk.

If you want to hear some folk-rock that actually has some background in folk music, try this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 543
    Not my usual but both great Albums.

Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit - Courtney Barnett
    and 
    Dog Violet  -Laurel 

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    ASG- Blood Drive.
    I'm not much of a fan of rock music at all, if I'm honest, but there's something about Blood Drive that has really got under my skin. There's maybe a couple of songs that I'm not keen on, but the rest of it is great.

Also Captain- This Is Hazelville. Rik's voice is a bit Marmite I guess and the music is a strange combo of pure pop, shoegaze and alt rock that probably shouldn't work but does. They were fantastic live too. Their last album (a limited release dedicated to their late guitarist, Mario) was bloody fantastic!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    bobblehat said:
    Not my usual but both great Albums.

Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit - Courtney Barnett
    and 
    Dog Violet  -Laurel 

I really like Dog Violet, though it does fall within the one of the areas of music that I like these days. Saw Laurel doing support for K T Tunstall recently, and bought the album there and then.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Fucked Up - ‘David Comes To Life’ and to a lesser extent ‘The Chemistry Of Common Life’. I don’t really listen to any kind of hardcore, but I think they have a major knack for songwriting and hooks, not to mention that if you can understand the lyrics being screamed, they are pretty clever and they can construct narratives...
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6190
    Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters:

Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where we Feel Secure:

No desire at all to look for music similar to either. Happy for them to pop up on shuffle from time to time.