Fender bullying the little guys

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
An interesting case of a one man boutique guitar maker being sued by Fender over headstock design.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/fender_facing_public_backlash_after_legally_threatening_small-scale_guitar_manufacturer.html

Apologies if this has been posted previously...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72392
    Doesn't look like a Tele headstock to me. But the rest of the guitar is clearly a Tele copy... and since Fender lost their trademark on the body shape due to lack of positive action to defend it, I understand why they're doing it.

If builders were more original in the first place this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It's so strange that they're suing over the headstock which isn't even that similar when half the guitars on the market are identical to fenders in every other way. The cheapos even tend to have the same headstock.

Doesn't seem fair that they weren't able to copyright the body, how could there be justification for that?
    edited May 2019
    thegummy said:

Doesn't seem fair that they weren't able to copyright the body, how could there be justification for that?
    Retaining a trademark requires actively defending it against infringement. If you 'let it go' in some cases, you lose the right to keep it. Fender failed to defend its body shapes all through the 70s - according to something I read from one of the team who took over after CBS, because they didn't think the 'inferior' far-east copies were any threat to them, and if anything increased demand for the 'real thing' - and hence when the copyists increased their quality and overtook CBS-Fender, they got a very nasty surprise... they could no longer legally stop them. That's why they take action against headstock copyists, because it's the one thing they still retain. (Likewise why Rickenbacker are so legalistic - they retain all their original trademarks.)

This case is obviously one where the headstock is almost certainly not close enough for there to be a real case, but it's showing that Fender are actively defending their one. They may have picked on this builder because the assumption will be that a small operation won't have the legal resources to fight it so it will be an easy win.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Suhr and loads of others copy Fender bodies....... I guess Fender will let them keep their headstock design though ;)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    The only case they might have is the use of “tele” in his original name. 

The headstock is so different it’s laughable that fender are doing this. I’d love to hear an in depth analysis from their legal team. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    I don't think that article & pics tells the whole story. He made changes after being contacted by Fender. He also says on FB that it was all but resolved and didn't want the article to go out but the site released it anyway. Theres chat inc from the guy himself in the Telecaster FB group.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    If you have the skills to build guitars, surely you’d want to build your own designs. I would anyway...
    JD50 said:
    Suhr and loads of others copy Fender bodies....... I guess Fender will let them keep their headstock design though ;)
    Surely no-one else would want it? Although Anderson might be peeved that they actually improved theirs slightly...

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I think this will end up being a nice bit of exposure for the guy and he’ll see more demand for his guitars from people who weren’t aware of his brand before.

Fender have shot themselves in the foot...

As for the headstock it’s one of the better looking attempts at a subtle deviation from Fender’s trademark. I like it.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GimletGimlet Frets: 19
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

Retaining a trademark requires actively defending it against infringement. If you 'let it go' in some cases, you lose the right to keep it. Fender failed to defend its body shapes all through the 70s - according to something I read from one of the team who took over after CBS, because they didn't think the 'inferior' far-east copies were any threat to them, and if anything increased demand for the 'real thing' - and hence when the copyists increased their quality and overtook CBS-Fender, they got a very nasty surprise... they could no longer legally stop them. That's why they take action against headstock copyists, because it's the one thing they still retain. (Likewise why Rickenbacker are so legalistic - they retain all their original trademarks.)

This case is obviously one where the headstock is almost certainly not close enough for there to be a real case, but it's showing that Fender are actively defending their one. They may have picked on this builder because the assumption will be that a small operation won't have the legal resources to fight it so it will be an easy win.
    Precisely! There is a gamble with bad PR in order to enforce the mark, but this seldom has any real impact on future sales given their prominance. In this case it might solely be about the vague outline of the headstock, or it could also include the 6-in-line tuner placement — I recall there being a case involving Fender and Gibson over the Firebird. However unpalletable and irrespective of it being an easy win over a smaller company, there will be a record of Fender's denfence of their mark, something CBS owned-Fender failed to establish.
    Humanity. It's not a race, merely a gentle stroll towards the inevitable.
    Iamnobody said:
    I think this will end up being a nice bit of exposure for the guy and he’ll see more demand for his guitars from people who weren’t aware of his brand before.
    Yes, probably.

Iamnobody said:

Do you think this will have any measurable impact on Fender whatsoever? It might annoy a few tens of potential buyers, but beyond that I very much doubt it.

Win-win, really - as long as neither of them wastes money trying to take it to court, in which case the lawyers win.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5859
    So, if the Headstock is not the same (and it isn't) how can they sue when so many other Guitar companies copy both the Tele and Strat body shapes?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    On that basis, pretty much all 6 in line headstocks are Fender copies.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2019
    Fender are just flexing their financial muscle. They have so much money they can intimidate and sue anyone they want for anything they want ....but that doesn't mean they are right or that they'll win. 

But that's not the point...for Fender, spending £50k or £100k on a top law firm is nothing...their lawyers are on retainers anyway. For a small and even medium business, trying to fight them is like throwing money into a black hole and they are simply priced out as the legal fees would break them. 

Its not fair, but that's life unfortunately. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    And that was first seen on a Bigsby guitar...
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    .....which copied Eastern European instruments if I remember correctly. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    .....which copied Eastern European instruments if I remember correctly. 
    Oh....

It was a side view of a violin peghead/scroll and Bigsby weren't the first

Early Martin headstock

all took influence from classical instruments

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    To be fair, he looks and sounds like he's been bullied from an early age. I wanted to bully him the moment he opened his mouth.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    ICBM said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Yes, probably.

Iamnobody said:

Do you think this will have any measurable impact on Fender whatsoever? It might annoy a few tens of potential buyers, but beyond that I very much doubt it.

Win-win, really - as long as neither of them wastes money trying to take it to court, in which case the lawyers win.
    It probably won’t have any measurable impact on Fender - you’re right. My bad choice of idiom!
    Previously known as stevebrum