What do you think of sunken strap lock buttons?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11640
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    I like strap locks but like any mechanical thing they need to be kept in good working order, and where they fail it is usually through neglect.

An analogy with motor vehicle owners applies:

Some motorists will check their car's vitals, air and water before a long journey.
    Others won't attend to a part that is clearly loose and hanging off and will just drive on till something goes wrong and then be upset and surprised when that happens.

I like the Dunlop recessed locks in places where too deep a mechanism can make the guitar tip or feel awkward
    Heel area of some guitars like V's SGs etc
    Also I add them as extra mounting points where being low profile means they aren't a visual nuisance if you choose not to use them.
    This doublecut junior is an example of that - there is a recessed button on the heel, so you can use either of two places to mount your strap

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Having had a couple of guitars pop off standard strap locks and finding grolsch washers mean I have to leave the strap on all the time. I went dunlop's probably best part of 20 years ago. All my gigging guitars have them and despite many gigs I've had no issues. It must be said I don't pogo about the stage these days, but I can confidently take both hands off the guitar.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
    I use grolsch rings on my SG as I didn't want a bulky strap lock on the back of the neck heel. A recessed one would probably be nice though. But the grolsch is fine. I found them not so good on an LP, the top button one can still pop off due to the angle it's being pulled at. I'd always use schallers, never had any issues with them - just got to check things are tight every now and then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Nothing wrong with Grolsch washers, but to be honest I prefer something a bit more hi-tec.

No, scratch that, I prefer straplocks because it looks a bit better. Call it snobbish or whatever, I just prefer the fact I have got something a bit more industrial holding it together.

I'm not keen on the Schaller locks, the protruding pin always looks just right for snapping off (I have them on two of my guitars and have never had any issues though!)

My choice now is the Dunlop ones, push button middle, flatter profile and less clunky.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3609
    octatonic said:
    My pet hate with guitar design is a solution to a problem that is worse than the problem itself.
    Strap buttons have only one problem- the strap sometimes works its way off the button.
    Grosch washers fix this.

Strap locks of all types are, imho, a worse solution to this.
    Recessed buttons too.

I have Loxx straplocks on two guitars. They have never needed tightening and never come off. Very well designed and engineered. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    edited May 2019
    I used to use the Dimarzio clip lock straps when I was gigging. Never had a problem, and since the ends are screwed to the guitar there's nothing protruding. Another advantage is that you can switch guitars without changing the strap if necessary; only disadvantage was that the ends are always attached, which didn't bother me to be fair, although one of them did mark the finish on my guitar in its case once.

I'm not gigging at the moment, but I've bought a load of Grolsch washers for when I am 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• kossofffankossofffan Frets: 551
    I simply replace the original strap buttons with these,

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/strap-buttons-over-sized

easy & no need for rubber washers.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24660
    The sunken ones are great.... until you forget your strap and need to borrow a strap which won't work.

So it's a no from me.

I use Schaller's on some of my guitars and they work well. The Sandberg bass even has a regular strap pin that is also compatible with them.

And I've got some of the Grolsh beer things for others.

I don't really care as long as the instrument stays on. I hardly ever remove my straps anyway so I'd be happy to bolt them on properly!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24660
    I simply replace the original strap buttons with these,

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/strap-buttons-over-sized

easy & no need for rubber washers.
    PRS "large strap buttons" are actually just string retainers from P and J basses.

As long as you don't buy Fender official ones you can get them for a quid each.
  • vonLayzonfonvonLayzonfon Frets: 108

Talking of which, who would choose these over the ones with a free beer included?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-strap-blocks-flexi-4-pack/112378

(Enough for them to be currently out of stock, clearly.) 
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited May 2019

Talking of which, who would choose these over the ones with a free beer included?

People that don't like Grolsch?

Edit:  First time I bought strap blocks I bought those Fender ones 'cos they were half the price of 4 bottles of Grolsch, and I didn't want the beer either. Last time I bought ones off Amazon at half that price which (so far) have been just as good.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Arjailer said:

People that don't like Grolsch?

Edit:  First time I bought strap blocks I bought those Fender ones 'cos they were half the price of 4 bottles of Grolsch, and I didn't want the beer either. Last time I bought ones off Amazon at half that price which (so far) have been just as good.
    . I have tried both. The Fender ones are a bit thicker than the Dutch lager variant but it doesn't affect the stability. I had my LP fall off with brand new Schaller straplocks and have used the DiMarzio clip lock straps on it since the 90s.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4598

My preference is for Bigger Jugs.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb