Best cheap PAF type pickup?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader

Another vote for Vanson....  They are cheap but so far when I use them I have always had great results...

A pickup of theirs I can absolutely recommend is their humbucker sized P90s..  Like really..... I get stunning results with those pickups. The other thing I can recommend with them is to get yourself a nice PIO cap.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    @Rabs, agreed. The Vanson 59 pafs sound far better than the uncovered Epiphone buckers that they replaced.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Rabs said:

Another vote for Vanson....  They are cheap but so far when I use them I have always had great results...

A pickup of theirs I can absolutely recommend is their humbucker sized P90s..  Like really..... I get stunning results with those pickups. The other thing I can recommend with them is to get yourself a nice PIO cap.

These are probably the same as Donliss  and I put a set in my Bullet Mustang .Really good sound .
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    Another vote for the IronGear pickups - the Blues Engine and Rolling Mill pickups are fantastic PAF-likes.

I've found in an LP type guitar a fantastic combo is a Hot Slag at the bridge and a Rolling Mill at the neck.

Heres a demo of the humbucker sized P90s..  Ive used them in about four builds.. ALWAYS sound great..

• marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    Sounds great Rab .nice chops mate  :)
    Sounds great Rab .nice chops mate 

Thanks..

Well I can take credit for the guitar but I wish that was me playing   That's JDGM who hangs about here from time to time..  A very tasteful player.. (that is me playing on the intro and outro jingle if that means anything  :D )

• Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Thinking of trying the vanson 59 humbuckers but can’t find them with a gold cover. Could always just use them without covers or fit a couple of good quality gold covers but the pole pieces wouldn’t match.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10732
    tFB Trader
    Calum13 said:
    Thinking of trying the vanson 59 humbuckers but can’t find them with a gold cover. Could always just use them without covers or fit a couple of good quality gold covers but the pole pieces wouldn’t match.
    Change the poles for gold too ... should be 5-40 fillister headed
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Heres"s the bridge Vanson 59 in gold https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-New-VANSON-59-Alnico-V-PAF-style-Humbucker-for-Gibson-Epiphone-etc/111188461991?hash=item19e35949a7:m:m_tlRZ8KJN28CFD5FIyceWQ
    It appears that they are out of stock of the neck pups in gold though.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    so for sex pistols ,manics, punk ,indie type music  would the vanson 57s or vanson 59s be best ?
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1027
    Calum13 said:
    What covers do you guys recommend that are good quality? When adjusting pole pieces should I do them all or just do the bass side to make it less bassy sounding.
    Have you tried adjusting them yet? Did you get them to sound as you want?
    I have not tried the 57"s only the 59"s but from the description of both pickups & the fact that the 59"s are Alnico V magnets as opposed to the 57"s Alnico 11"s I would have thought the 59"s would be a little more punchy although I am no expert.
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Calum13 said:
    What covers do you guys recommend that are good quality? When adjusting pole pieces should I do them all or just do the bass side to make it less bassy sounding.
    Have you tried adjusting them yet? Did you get them to sound as you want?
    Yeah I’ve got the neck pickup how I want it but I have to roll the tone back to 7 on the bridge.