Chorus... A thing of the past

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2247
    I'm after a DC-2W also, but they don't seem to come up often used and I'm not keen on paying £200 for one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1625
    If you're running two amps in stereo, try this. Get a vibrato pedal (I used a TC Shaker mini), set it to a triangle wave if poss and stick in one side only, mix up reasonably high. It is as near to the Roland jazz chorus sound (and stereo separation) as I've ever had without actually using a jazz chorus.

I had my JC77 here at the time to compare it with and it was close. What the JC had was that super bright solid state tone which tube amps obviously don't. But they also don't hiss like a jazz chorus

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9726

That's exactly what most stereo chorus pedals do - dry signal on one output and 100% wet (which is simply vibrato) on the other. I sometime bodge a vibrato effect by plugging a dummy jack into the dry output of a stereo chorus pedal and plugging the wet into a single amp.

The subtleties come, as you've hinted, with the type of waveform that modulates the pitch.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    We have a chorus in every song, not sure how you break the verses up other wise
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Fishboy7 said:
    I'm after a DC-2W also, but they don't seem to come up often used and I'm not keen on paying £200 for one.
    Pay 180 for a used md500 and get the dc-2w and a shed load of other boss sounds.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    phaser and flanger or not shitty :D well it's not an electric mistress flanger side, but the phaser is good.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2664
    Another thing that struck me this morning is that I used to use it to try to get the sort of overtones that a decent valve amp give you only on the crappy Crate (and equivalent) solid state amps I used to actually play into - I'd listen to records and think it was subtle chorus and in fact it was just a decent valve amp. I didn't realise that was what I was doing at the time. So mostly chorus was, for me, a way of getting round the fact that I was too cheap to buy decent gear. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6132
     I'd listen to records and think it was subtle chorus and in fact it was just a decent valve amp. 

I think that's why Roland put the Chorus in their JC amps. The clean sound is so sterile and horrid that they needed something to make it bearable. A small amount of the chorus gives it a valveish harmonic effect.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2664
    Up to a point - I actually like the sound of a JC, but it is very clean. It's certainly not a coincidence, though, that the most famous solid state amp had a chorus built right into it, I do agree there. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Fenderish said:
    phaser and flanger or not shitty :D well it's not an electric mistress flanger side, but the phaser is good.
    Sorry, I should have said fucking abysmal :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.