Jazzmaster

What's Hot
IaMsPlattIaMsPlatt Frets: 3

I see these everywhere but Ive never played one.

What is it they do that no other guitar can do?

I am Mark S Platt but not the hacker M*rk Pl*tt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Create weird harmonic overtones when you don’t want them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4000
    Unique pickups, switching and trem system with a comfortable offset shape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7135
    surf music

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • The MBV shoegaze subtle chord tremolo dive thing (well, along with Jaguars) 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Ideal if you like your Fender logo breaking wind.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    The rhythm circuit is the one thing I really like about them. Lots of people hate it, though (which is presumably why Fender has been churning out JMs without it).
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 763
    For me it’s the pickups - it’s accepted wisdom that p90s are halfway between single coil and humbucking pickups but I think JM pickups do it better - if p90s are one third single and two thirds humbucking tonality I hear JMs as the reverse. Fat, warm, loads of articulation and much more ‘headroom’ than a Strat. 

Also the trem is great. 

And they look really, really cool. 
  • Just listen to Dinosaur Jr. THAT'S what they do! 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Just listen to Dinosaur Jr. THAT'S what they do! 

I love jazzmasters. Using dinosaur Jr as an example makes me not want to play them

Also I think mascis uses a junior on all of his recordings. I might be wrong, I'm by no means a fan to care
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Can any guitar do anything the others can't?

I suppose some have a trem and some don't but essentially they all do the same thing but just sound, feel and look different, no?
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Just listen to Dinosaur Jr. THAT'S what they do! 

I love jazzmasters. Using dinosaur Jr as an example makes me not want to play them

Also I think mascis uses a junior on all of his recordings. I might be wrong, I'm by no means a fan to care
    I think he uses both a tele and a junior for recording.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ^i stand corrected.
    Having seen them live, J. played Jazzmasters exclusively that night & they sounded epic. 

They work really well with pedals too. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175

You know that thing when David Banner gets angry and his shirt rips off and his skin goes green? It's like that but different. The moment I bought and played a Jazzmaster I grew a beard and a plaid shirt appeared on my bod.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19020
    Philtre said:

You know that thing when David Banner gets angry and his shirt rips off and his skin goes green? It's like that but different. The moment I bought and played a Jazzmaster I grew a beard and a plaid shirt appeared on my bod.
    Yeah, Awesome! Like totally gnarly. As I believe the youth used to say  ;)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5811
    My only JM experience made me want to rush to get my Strat. Pretty heartbreaking as I’d always wanted one and thought we’d be a good match. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11907
    I like mine, only a humble Squier VM but with a change to a staytrem bridge its a really great guitar for it's humble price.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    gringopig said:
    The Jazzmaster has an extremely comfortable shape and a range of tones only matched and exceeded by the Jaguar.

Ignore all the folklore and received wisdom about the offsets. The Jazzmaster has a full and powerful tone with a range of frequencies available with use of the 1 Meg pots that a Stratocaster just cannot get. A strat sounds muffled in comparison but the Jazzmaster can sound full and deep and has switching that allows for an instant change from fullness to aggressive and the back pickup is usable, unlike the Start's tin can rolling down the road bridge pickup sound. 

It also shares the best tremelo system ever invented with the Jaguar. Unfortunately, the offsets have been lazily labelled as 'indie' guitars whatever that means and often burdened by being drowned in some terrible reverb or a swathe of effects.

It's just wrong. The Jazzmaster and Jaguar can play any sort of music: rock, blues, country and so on. If you recorded a JM playing bluesy 'licks' on the neck pickup with the volume on 8, listeners would applaud the amazing 'strat' neck pickup sound but try getting the full powerful yet biting bridge pickup sound out of a Strat. Even a Telecaster bridge pickup sounds thin in comparison.

Watch this travesty of cliche: cavernous reverb. Playing behind the bridge (arrrgh stop it you cock) and a description of the JM being a 'sound effect' guitar. What a clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oEJgaKJk94

so a few things

Jazzmaster > Jaguar
    A Jaguar cant do the big piano like thing a jazzmaster.  

A player can play any sort of music. The whole guitars for genres thing is total bollocks

As good as a Jazzmaster bridge pickup can sound it doesn't get as growly as a good broadcaster style bridge pickup. It doesn't make a decent tele bridge sound thin at all
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Gringopig is correct. Just breaking up sound on a Jazzmaster (or a Jag) is wonderful for just about any style. Ive played garage, psych, rockabilly, powerpop - just about anything on mine. My favorite Jazzmaster player is Tom Verlaine probably. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19020
    gringopig said:
    The Jazzmaster has an extremely comfortable shape and a range of tones only matched and exceeded by the Jaguar.

Ignore all the folklore and received wisdom about the offsets. The Jazzmaster has a full and powerful tone with a range of frequencies available with use of the 1 Meg pots that a Stratocaster just cannot get. A strat sounds muffled in comparison but the Jazzmaster can sound full and deep and has switching that allows for an instant change from fullness to aggressive and the back pickup is usable, unlike the Start's tin can rolling down the road bridge pickup sound. 

It also shares the best tremelo system ever invented with the Jaguar. Unfortunately, the offsets have been lazily labelled as 'indie' guitars whatever that means and often burdened by being drowned in some terrible reverb or a swathe of effects.

It's just wrong. The Jazzmaster and Jaguar can play any sort of music: rock, blues, country and so on. If you recorded a JM playing bluesy 'licks' on the neck pickup with the volume on 8, listeners would applaud the amazing 'strat' neck pickup sound but try getting the full powerful yet biting bridge pickup sound out of a Strat. Even a Telecaster bridge pickup sounds thin in comparison.

Watch this travesty of cliche: cavernous reverb. Playing behind the bridge (arrrgh stop it you cock) and a description of the JM being a 'sound effect' guitar. What a clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oEJgaKJk94

Errrm... is this the same @gringopig ;; of this parish, thread  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/154250/gringos-clean-test-can-you-pass/p1

Prove the tone difference.
    I double dog dare you ;)