Jazzmaster

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• The Deluxe seems effectively to be like the J.Mascis signature model, but in red rather than white. 
    It's a great guitar- the neck is lovely, but it's worth knowing that the pickups are more P90ish than standard JM p'ups. There are trem & no trem versions. 

I think they've been discontinued- as you say they're harder to find now*.

*I've got one for sale in the classified section, but don't want to post it following a courier disaster last year. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Nels Cline.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited May 2019
    The Deluxe seems effectively to be like the J.Mascis signature model, but in red rather than white. 
    It's a great guitar- the neck is lovely, but it's worth knowing that the pickups are more P90ish than standard JM p'ups. There are trem & no trem versions. 

*I've got one for sale in the classified section, but don't want to post it following a courier disaster last year. 

Thanks.  I've seen the one you have for sale and it would be ideal, but I'm at the other end of the country!

What's the difference between the pickups that are 'more P90ish' and the more standard JM pickups?  My thinking is that if I were to get one, I might as well get one as close to the standard as possible (within budget). Or possibly something that is pretty good as a base and then change a couple of things if I got into it.
  • Vinylfan said:
    The Deluxe seems effectively to be like the J.Mascis signature model, but in red rather than white. 

Thanks.  I've seen the one you have for sale and it would be ideal, but I'm at the other end of the country!

What's the difference between the pickups that are 'more P90ish' and the more standard JM pickups?  My thinking is that if I were to get one, I might as well get one as close to the standard as possible (within budget). Or possibly something that is pretty good as a base and then change a couple of things if I got into it.
    I'm no expert, but I believe adjustable pole pieces & wound slightly hotter than standard means slightly more mid than is "normal".
    It's got a tuneomatic rather than the normal JM bridge. 
    I also think the trem is slightly closer to the bridge too giving a better break angle. 

Shame you're so far away, I'd happily let you have a bash on it. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    Vinylfan said:
    What's the difference between the pickups that are 'more P90ish' and the more standard JM pickups?
    The differences will lie in the dimensions of the bobbins, the copper coils and the magnets of the pickups.

The traditional JM pickup coil is wide and shallow. A Stratocaster pickup is narrower and taller. 

The dimensions of the pickups in the budget Fender Mexico Jazzmaster are somewhere in between. So are the sounds. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    gringopig said:
    gringopig said:
    The Jazzmaster has an extremely comfortable shape and a range of tones only matched and exceeded by the Jaguar.

Ignore all the folklore and received wisdom about the offsets. The Jazzmaster has a full and powerful tone with a range of frequencies available with use of the 1 Meg pots that a Stratocaster just cannot get. A strat sounds muffled in comparison but the Jazzmaster can sound full and deep and has switching that allows for an instant change from fullness to aggressive and the back pickup is usable, unlike the Start's tin can rolling down the road bridge pickup sound. 

It also shares the best tremelo system ever invented with the Jaguar. Unfortunately, the offsets have been lazily labelled as 'indie' guitars whatever that means and often burdened by being drowned in some terrible reverb or a swathe of effects.

It's just wrong. The Jazzmaster and Jaguar can play any sort of music: rock, blues, country and so on. If you recorded a JM playing bluesy 'licks' on the neck pickup with the volume on 8, listeners would applaud the amazing 'strat' neck pickup sound but try getting the full powerful yet biting bridge pickup sound out of a Strat. Even a Telecaster bridge pickup sounds thin in comparison.

Watch this travesty of cliche: cavernous reverb. Playing behind the bridge (arrrgh stop it you cock) and a description of the JM being a 'sound effect' guitar. What a clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oEJgaKJk94

Errrm... is this the same @gringopig ;; of this parish, thread  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/154250/gringos-clean-test-can-you-pass/p1

Prove the tone difference.
    I double dog dare you ;)

Remember I wasn't suggesting they all sound the same, I was suggesting that it was the perception of how a guitar should sound that influences players to use it for that purpose. Ably demonstrated by that Lemmo character.

It's an offset=indie guitar=massive reverb=behind the bridge dicking about.

No! It's a guitar. It sounds different to others but it's not an 'indie' guitar. Why don't people play Les Paul's with cavernous reverb and rinky dink pishy James Bond theme tune stuff?
    They do - Little Barrie
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Still thinking of getting one just to see what it's all about.  To be honest, still unclear what the differences are between the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe versions - is it just about the materials and build or are there other differences worth knowing about?  I have to admit that right now, the whole Squier line up isn't clear to me.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Try the mascis if it still exists. It's the nicest out of the squier line up although it's the least traditional.
    If you are in a shop and you are just trying them for funsies, personally I would go for the Mexican/USA made stuff. It's a better representation. The squier stuff is alright but it's new price is too close to used mim/mij for me
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    dazzajl said:
    My only JM experience made me want to rush to get my Strat. Pretty heartbreaking as I’d always wanted one and thought we’d be a good match. 
    The only good match is a Tele and a Les Paul  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    Look up Lemmo on guitar of the day - Norms Rare Guitars YouTube he'll show you what they can do..