Is there a Jaguar or Jag-copy with...

What's Hot
GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
(1) A flat neck
(2) Jumbo frets

There's a long-story behind this but what it comes down to is I really like my JM which I've been playing for years but have only just noticed Jaguars.  Colour me curious.  So I thought I'd tap the knowledge base here first.
My favourite necks ever are the Ibanez Wizards.  I like their flatness, skinniness, and fret size.  (I also like 24 frets but I know that's an ask too far.)  But I'm interested in a shorter scale length too.
Is there a Jag or a Jag copy which approaches ticking the boxes? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9742
    The Fender Classic Player Jag has 9.5” radius and medium jumbos if that’s any help.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3007
    I reckon your best bet would either be a self build or buy one and swap the neck out.
    And the bridge for the correct radius 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Coda generally spec their cs jags with bigger frets and a 10" radius
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    This is a long shot, but it would actually be possible to fit a Jaguar with a 24-fret neck.

Bear with me ;).

The difference in fret positions between a Jaguar (24"-scale/22-fret) and a Jazzmaster (25.5"-scale/21-fret) neck is actually one full fret at the *headstock* end. Fender always used the same overall fret spacings, but adjusted the start and end points to fit the different models.

So that means that a *23*-fret, 25.5"-scale neck will fit on a Jaguar body perfectly. Now imagine the same thing with an extra-fret overhang like a modern Strat, and you have a 24-fret, 25.5"-scale Jaguar.

The bad news is that you'll almost certainly have to have such a thing custom-made, but if you did it could also have a Wizard profile, large-radius board and big frets...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    Cheers for the info.  I'm gonna save this to Evernote cos I'll only forget it if I don't act on it!
    Looks like some kind of customisation is ultimately going to be necessary.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    ICBM said:
    a *23*-fret, 25.5"-scale neck will fit on a Jaguar body perfectly.
    I agree with this statement.

Unfortunately, on a regular Jaguar body, the bridge, mute and tailpiece positions will be at the wrong distances from the end of the neck pocket to work with the 25.5" scale length neck.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    a *23*-fret, 25.5"-scale neck will fit on a Jaguar body perfectly.
    I agree with this statement.

Unfortunately, on a regular Jaguar body, the bridge, mute and tailpiece positions will be at the wrong distances from the end of the neck pocket to work with the 25.5" scale length neck.
    No they won’t. That’s the whole point of what I said...

A 23-fret, 25.5”-scale neck would be the same as a Jaguar neck but with an extra fret at the headstock end. The bridge will still be in the correct position.

It’s the same as the 24”-scale/22-fret and 22.5”-scale/21-fret necks used on the ‘student’ guitars - they’re perfectly interchangeable. I swapped two of them and didn’t even need to adjust the intonation on either guitar!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein