Fender Elite Thinline Telecaster 'Suspension' bridge

What's Hot
bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 898
Has anyone owned a Thinline Telecaster Elite?
The bridge is a screwless mount with compensated saddles.

Wondering if it is any good and, if it is, why only on the Thinline and no others.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    edited May 2019
    Because it needs the body routing from the inside to make the recess, so it can only be done on a semi-hollow.

It's a solution in search of a problem - it looks awful, it's very difficult to restring without chewing up the finish on the back edge of the hole, and when have you ever heard of a standard Tele bridge lacking tone or sustain?

Even worse, it's going to be quite difficult to replace it with a proper bridge when people get fed up with restringing them.

It's the Freeflyte of the 21st century, and will completely kill the resale value of the guitar in the long run.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 898
    Wise words.  My thoughts were that it would be difficult to change to a standard 3 saddle if desired.

The rest of the guitar appeals, but the bridge might make a bit of a white elephant. (No disrespect to any other colour of elephants)

Would have to be very cheap to be worthwhile considering
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 624
    I have one. It's basically fine. I'd probably prefer a standard bridge but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a problem, or will "kill" the resale value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    Love to have been at the meeting where they passed that one through...

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3255
    JezWynd said:
    Love to have been at the meeting where they passed that one through...

Never noticed that before, what a ridiculous design. The exec responsible needs his pay docking.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18942
    @ICBM ; "It's a solution in search of a problem..."
    That's all that needs to be said about it.
    edited May 2019
    Thanks all.  That has put the final nail in that coffin.

Any other recommendations for a Thinline with single coils, preferably Fender?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3058
    Guitarbuild will make you a Fender spec Custom body....just a thought....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

If you like that guitar why don't you go and try it?
    Its your opinion that matters
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Agreed. I can't help but feel this thread has blown this way out of proportion. In terms of playing I honestly haven't noticed any difference at all against my standard tele.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    I could maybe understand the concept if you're trying not to put screw holes in the top of a semi hollow guitar. But then they've put a plate round the bridge pickup with 4 screws, so it's obviously not that. Why not just use a top-loading normal Tele bridge?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited May 2019
    Epsilon said:

In terms of playing I honestly haven't noticed any difference at all against my standard tele.
    How do you find string changes? I admit I haven't actually physically tried it, but I've looked at one and it looks like a nightmare - you can't get at the ball ends properly, and dragging the strings in and out is bound to chew up the lip of the recess.

And if it's exactly the same in terms of playing, what's the point at all? The original bridge design is a masterpiece of simplicity, reliability and ease of use. This new one solves no problems - because there aren't any to solve - but causes them.

Fender '69 Thinline reissue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I am in Northern Ireland so very limited choice of guitars generally.

Fender '69 Thinline reissue.

The AVRI Thinlines seem to be reasonably rare but there is one on eBay now.
    ICBM said:
    Epsilon said:

In terms of playing I honestly haven't noticed any difference at all against my standard tele.
    How do you find string changes? I admit I haven't actually physically tried it, but I've looked at one and it looks like a nightmare - you can't get at the ball ends properly, and dragging the strings in and out is bound to chew up the lip of the recess.

And if it's exactly the same in terms of playing, what's the point at all? The original bridge design is a masterpiece of simplicity, reliability and ease of use. This new one solves no problems - because there aren't any to solve - but causes them.
    When changing strings you just pull the suspension bit off the body, string it through, and slot it back in. Admittedly not as easy as top loading, but probably no more annoying than the fact that Tune-o-matics fall off when you take the strings off, or dealing with the frustration of trying to guide a string through a backplate when it doesn't want to go through (I'm sure we've all been there).

With regards to the second point I'm not saying that this bridge needed to exist, simply that it doesn't detract from the performance of the guitar (and I don't think it really causes any problems either). I do prefer a standard tele bridge  but there's absolutely no way I'd let such a small thing put me off a guitar I otherwise like. I actually prefer it to the ashtray bridge I had on my Highway One, which I did find quite offputting as my hand would occasionally whack the bridge. At least the suspension is low profile.

In summary I don't think it's an issue, but I also don't think it's a necessary innovation.

Epsilon said:

When changing strings you just pull the suspension bit off the body, string it through, and slot it back in.
    What do you do when you just need to change one string, if you've broken one?

edited May 2019
    You can just push it through like a top loader. If you're changing all strings it is easier to just take the bridge off though.

Just gave it a try on mine and it took about 5 seconds.

Epsilon said:

You can just push it through like a top loader. If you're changing all strings it is easier to just take the bridge off though.

So the edge of that recess is going to look a mess if you do it more than a couple of times... the string is clearly dragging against the finish.

Sorry, I just don't see this as a 'small thing' at all, I see it as a complete deal-breaker. It's just a really pointless, unnecessary design change which achieves exactly nothing other than making it harder to use and easier to damage the guitar. It does not improve the tone or sustain as claimed - there's nothing wrong with either of those on a standard Tele bridge, as you said yourself it's no different to play.

The really big problem is that if you do decide you don't like it, it's going to need extensive woodwork and probably refinishing to fit a conventional Tele bridge.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not really, you just hold the string by the other end as you pull it through and there's no contact with the recess.

Right I think I've spent enough of my day defending a bridge! OP I suggest you try one out for yourself. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ICBM said:
    Epsilon said:

So the edge of that recess is going to look a mess if you do it more than a couple of times... the string is clearly dragging against the finish.

Sorry, I just don't see this as a 'small thing' at all, I see it as a complete deal-breaker. It's just a really pointless, unnecessary design change which achieves exactly nothing other than making it harder to use and easier to damage the guitar. It does not improve the tone or sustain as claimed - there's nothing wrong with either of those on a standard Tele bridge, as you said yourself it's no different to play.

The really big problem is that if you do decide you don't like it, it's going to need extensive woodwork and probably refinishing to fit a conventional Tele bridge.
    In the next episode, ICBM goes outside to yell at clouds

So much moaning over something you don't even own
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    meltedbuzzbox said:

So much moaning over something you don't even own
    But will one day have to work on, most likely. And probably have to find a way of removing the damn thing and patching the hole without refinishing the whole guitar.

I agree with JezWynd, I'd love to have seen how Fender not only came up with this dreadful piece of design but actually tooled up for it and put it into production...

On the bright side, I have found something to rant about that's even more stupid than Gibson's robot tuners . At least they do have a useful purpose for some people, even if they don't always work properly .