When I go abroad I always get upset stomachs

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Does it only happen after you fly?

I’m going with a delayed motion sickness effect, or a delayed stress reaction after flying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    edited May 2019
    Advice from Tommy Cooper would be don't go abroad then.

Sorry I couldn't resist. One of my favourite comedians. I wish you all the best.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Ice cubes. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    Philly_Q said:
    For me it's kind of the opposite - I have an upset stomach pretty much all the time on workdays, but it largely goes away on weekends and holidays.  I think a lot of it is down to stress and/or my state of mind.
    Me too, and it's worse if I know I'm driving somewhere far or in a situation where I can't easily get to the bog. Must be an anxiety thing but I can't seem to shake it! 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    edited May 2019

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_probiotics_saccharomyces_boulardii?search_string=Swanson Probiotics Saccharomyces Boulardii

This stuff is great .... it helps with a lot  of things as well as travellers diarrhea ...the brand i linked is a good one tooo ... it helped me with some more serious stuff a few years back ....

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24395
    Are you eating from buffet type meals.  They are notorious for bugs.  Not kept hot enough, hundreds of dirty bastards handling the utensils etc.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    It is initially caused by the pressurized cabin. I get bloated and need to fart a lot when I fly. Try travelling in the hold. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2250
    slacker said:
    Imodium
    eh? Someone is bunged up and you prescribe bung-up tablets?

Look at stage 2 of his symptoms. A laxative would be spectacular. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11890
    You mean you are constipated?

Have you tried to poo on a regular schedule, as opposed to wait for it to be blocked up your bum?

I was going to suggest fibre but Japan isn’t great on vegetables, they are very carb heavy with meat or fish.  Vegetables is almost like a garnish in a lot of dishes….

Guess I would take a box of muesli and have that every morning.
  • As already said, make sure they don't put ice in your drinks, and pack pepto bismol as it's a nice "one size fits all" deal for digestive fuckery. That and start the pro-biotics ASAP.

I travel a lot for work and to some sketchy places as well, I've managed to stem the flow (as it were) with that approach.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11890
    I never drink the tap water when i am aboard, in any country.  It's only a few days, so i just buy a couple of Litres of bottled water and keep them in my room for the duration.  

In Japan I tend to stick to green tea (which is normally free and bottomless), or get drinks from vending machines.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    west said:

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_probiotics_saccharomyces_boulardii?search_string=Swanson Probiotics Saccharomyces Boulardii

This stuff is great .... it helps with a lot  of things as well as travellers diarrhea ...the brand i linked is a good one tooo ... it helped me with some more serious stuff a few years back ....

Sounds interesting, I'll look into that.  I've found peppemint oil capsules (also recommended by someone on here) can help a bit with IBS symptoms.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I never drink the tap water when i am aboard, in any country.  It's only a few days, so i just buy a couple of Litres of bottled water and keep them in my room for the duration.  

In Japan I tend to stick to green tea (which is normally free and bottomless), or get drinks from vending machines.

Excellent work sir !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I take a swig of Kaolin and morphine for runs and omeprazole for burning indigestion. 

Philly_Q said:
    west said:

Sounds interesting, I'll look into that.  I've found peppemint oil capsules (also recommended by someone on here) can help a bit with IBS symptoms.
    If it helps i recomended it  to a couple of folks who've had success , i was battling sibo a while ago and with s.bouliardii and few other protocols i sorted myself out  ....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    west said:
    Philly_Q said:
    west said:

If it helps i recomended it  to a couple of folks who've had success , i was battling sibo a while ago and with s.bouliardii and few other protocols i sorted myself out  ....
    I've never even heard of SIBO until you mentioned it now. 

When I read about various gastro-intestinal conditions, the symptoms are all so similar... how on earth does anyone ever get diagnosed in a "no more than 15 minutes and don't ask about more than one issue" GP appointment?
    It is a minefield phil , your right its tough to figure things out but i dont go to drs now unless i break it or cut it .... the thing that has helped me more than anything is  lots of research and a carnivore ( hate this word but ... )  way of eating , meat ( nose to tail )  fish/seafood eggs ... it has been a revalation coming from about a 15 year keto style of eating  think of it as an elimination if you like ... for some folks plants are a bad idea .. oxalates /lectins /saphonins/phytates and indigestable fibre wreak havoc on the gut ....  lots online if you are interested .... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    I often get an upset stomach when travelling, even going on holiday in the UK. I think it's psychological and down to my anxiety. I don't suffer with anxiety as much as I used to, but being away from home does trigger it somewhat. My doctor has prescribed me low-dose beta-blockers to take in anxiety situations, but I need them less and less, it's taken me a year to get through my last prescription.

I know this probably sounds silly. But a decently private loo where I feel comfortable and safe is a must for me on holiday to feel happy with things. By private I meant a nice modern bathroom that isn't somewhere where everyone you're staying with can hear you. 

I'm quite a homebody really. I do like travelling - but I don't like being away from home, something of a paradox. My wife's come to realise I really don't like going on holiday and find the whole thing the opposite of relaxing, she's very sympathetic to this. We're having a little family holiday later this month and we're just going away on a city break for three nights rather than a whole week away, this suits me a lot better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5667

Not at all helpful to your predicament, and I feel for you, but laughter is the best medicine and this is well on topic:

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.