When I go abroad I always get upset stomachs

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I worked with a guy who travelled a lot. His advice was brush your teeth with the local tap water. He reckoned that swilling it in your mouth and spitting it out helped improve your tolerance to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    west said:
    It is a minefield phil , your right its tough to figure things out but i dont go to drs now unless i break it or cut it .... the thing that has helped me more than anything is  lots of research and a carnivore ( hate this word but ... )  way of eating , meat ( nose to tail )  fish/seafood eggs ... it has been a revalation coming from about a 15 year keto style of eating  think of it as an elimination if you like ... for some folks plants are a bad idea .. oxalates /lectins /saphonins/phytates and indigestable fibre wreak havoc on the gut ....  lots online if you are interested .... ;)
    @west ; Thanks for the info!  I've had IBS symptoms (for want of a better description) for nearly 20 years.  About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I changed my diet dramatically (basically went low carb including, like you, lots of meat, fish, eggs etc, plus lots of green veg), I did loads of exercise and lost a lot of weight.  And the IBS pretty much disappeared.

The last 2 or 3 years I've slipped a bit, due to longer working hours and issues with elderly (now deceased) parents. I've stuck with the low carb but I don't have time to cook "properly" in the evenings and the exercise has basically stopped altogether.  And the IBS has come back.

So maybe for me the exercise was the key thing, but I will do some more research.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    Colofac.......sorts all my IBS within 12 hours 
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited May 2019
    west said:

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_probiotics_saccharomyces_boulardii?search_string=Swanson Probiotics Saccharomyces Boulardii

This stuff is great .... it helps with a lot  of things as well as travellers diarrhea ...the brand i linked is a good one tooo ... it helped me with some more serious stuff a few years back ....

Cheers, I'll give them a try!

Emp_Fab said:
    Are you eating from buffet type meals.  They are notorious for bugs.  Not kept hot enough, hundreds of dirty bastards handling the utensils etc.
    The food in Japan is second to none. No buffet type shite there!

Bye!