0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Inlay says Kay to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Looks like a Kay as well
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14579
    Tap around the arched top. This will probably reveal where the top ply’s connected to the back ply and, hence, where the hollows are.

Could make a fun project, sorting out all of its deficiencies. Could make a garden ornament for HarrySeven.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5175
    70s-80s MIJ of some brand or other, but not one of the better ones.

I'd be quite surprised if it didn't have a bolt on neck.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    Japanese, 1970s, possibly made by Matsumoku.

It will have a bolt-on neck and an arched plywood top. You can just see the gap on the treble side of the neck. The original pickups are single coils inside the humbucker casings, but I think those have been changed - the polepieces don’t quite line up with the holes in the covers, at least in the bridge pickup.

They’re generally a bit rough but can be made into usable guitars with some (usually quite a lot of) work, and have a cool trashy character to them - although it will never be a proper Les Paul. The worst problem is that some of them have poor fretting, but not all - check that first, it’s the one problem that’s hard to fix economically.

They can sell for up to £250-£300 fully fixed, but in unknown condition I would try to pay no more than £100.

I know some people will laugh at the sale price but I know that for a fact, from experience! The problem is that sellers often ask that sort of price for ones that still need the work doing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3604
    But the work would cost more than its worth, if it needed any?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    But the work would cost more than its worth, if it needed any?
    That's exactly why you shouldn't pay too much unless you know it's already been done, or is one of the rare ones that aren't too bad to begin with. They usually need totally stripping down and rebuilding - I would estimate £100-£200 depending on whether the frets need tidying up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    A friend had one which was branded ‘Columbus’ but there were multiple brand names used. I wouldn’t pay much for one - though as as @ICBM says - they can bring ‘silly’ figures these days.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    It looks like the one from that "how to clean guitar" video where a guy's washing it with a bucket of soap and water.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    the work would cost more than its worth
    The economics only make sense if you already have a parts drawer full of leftover hardware from other Gibson copy guitars. Even then, the keen project enthusiast would still be saddled with the ply body. It has potential as a slide guitar.

ICBM said:
    The original pickups are single coils inside the humbucker casings, but I think those have been changed - the polepieces don’t quite line up with the holes in the covers, at least in the bridge pickup.
    I reckon that the neck/Rhythm position pickup is original. Its narrow polepiece spacing looks familiar.

I agree that the bridge/Treble position pickup (or, at least, the cover) is less likely to be original.

ICBM said:
    trashy
    An excellent one word summary. :)

edited May 2019
    Funkfingers said:

I reckon that the neck/Rhythm position pickup is original. Its narrow polepiece spacing looks familiar. 

I agree that the bridge/Treble position pickup (or, at least, the cover) is less likely to be original.
    I think the cover is the original, it's still got the distinctive 'soft' outline and dishing around the polepiece holes. But the pickup inside has slightly closer-spaced polepieces, if you look at the low E one. The neck pickup could be original.

For what it's worth I've rebuilt quite a lot of these by halving the number of them . You can very easily fit two of the original coils inside one casing and make a proper humbucker out of them .

So it's just possible that that's been done to this one as well - both of the original coils now being in the neck pickup.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14426
    tFB Trader
    Eros - Satellite - Kay - Columbus are just 4 of the names you can find on what are effectively the same guitar - Trying to recall, did Rose Morris put their own name on the guitar as well, or a 'branded' name
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Eros - Satellite - Kay - Columbus are just 4 of the names you can find on what are effectively the same guitar - Trying to recall, did Rose Morris put their own name on the guitar as well, or a 'branded' name
    Not *just* Rose-Morris, I don't think - but Avon had the subtitle 'by Rose-Morris' on a raised plastic badge.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31674
    Don't dismiss it if it's playable though. Judged as a Les Paul copy they're pretty crap, but they can still sound great, hollow plywood body, crappy microphonic pickups and all.

This is a similar thing, and one of my favourite ever videos...

Rose-Morris applied the name "Avon" - to name but one.

Within the last eighteen months, I sourced a guitar of similar excellence on behalf of HarrySeven. It carried the brand name Country. The previous owner bought it in France.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14426
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Not *just* Rose-Morris, I don't think - but Avon had the subtitle 'by Rose-Morris' on a raised plastic badge.
    That's it - Avon - I was trying to think what they were called - Thanks
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23137
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    I was looking at it and thinking all those names, they were all available from the Littlewoods and Freemans mail-order catalogues around the time I got interested in guitars, 1979-80.... I've always wondered if they were all made at the same factory (or factories), they're so similar.

I ended up with an "Arbiter" LP copy - no actual name on the headstock - which was the same thing, arched plywood top and weird single-coil pickups.  The Hondos of the time had DiMarzio humbuckers (not sure if they were actually proper USA ones). 

I also remember seeing slightly older, secondhand LP copies at that time with Jedson and Vox brand names.  More of the same?
    Philly_Q said:

The Hondos of the time had DiMarzio humbuckers (not sure if they were actually proper USA ones).
    Only some, and they were ‘under license’ not USA-made. I had a Hondo with the single-coil tin cans as well.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23137
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

The Hondos of the time had DiMarzio humbuckers (not sure if they were actually proper USA ones).
    Only some, and they were ‘under license’ not USA-made. I had a Hondo with the single-coil tin cans as well.
    You're right, of course, they didn't all have them.  But I still have a mental image of those guitars with double-creme, Super Distortion lookalike pickups with DiMarzio stickers.  I didn't really know what DiMarzio was but it still seemed impressive.