Flat wound strings?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    I used to use flat wounds in a grunge band downtuned on a firebird. Gave a nice sludgy tone with gain and also some extra tension for the amount of downtuning we were doing (C# standard)  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The guitarist in Khruangbin effectively uses a set of skinny flats (3 plain strings) and gets great twangy tones. I'm curious now to also try this kinda setup on a strat...

They can be great for twang in the right guitar. Luther Perkins was using flats on all of the Johnny Cash stuff. Kenny Vaughan of The Fabulous Superlatives also uses flats on some guitars, I believe as a tip of the (Stetson) hat to Perkins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    I use TI flats on everything. I decided a few years back to sacrifice big G string bends for a more stable grip when holding chords and consequent a more in tune sound for the middle three strings - I like the percussive quality which is very reminiscent of a lot of 50s and 60s guitar sounds and although expensive they last for ages - I use the ones with the brass coated plain strings, these in fact https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/sets-c865/electric-guitar-c189/thomastik-js110-jazz-swing-flatwound-10-44-electric-guitar-strings-p2836 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom