NGD and a chip in the fretboard :/

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
Le sigh. 

First off I sold 2 guitars I hadnt touched in months, and paid a little for this from Andertons. 

Yummy mummy... 

But alas. I played the store display model, liked it and like many of us then took home a new boxed one.. in my case sight unseen as it were. Amateur hour. 

Got home and discovered a couple chips in the old fretboard. 

So is it a problem? 
Its a birdseye maple fretboard and it looks to me like a crater where a knot once lived? 

Except just below the big chip, you can see a smaller one, which doesnt look like something natural.. so bit confused by it. 

Cardboard Box it came in hasnt a dent in sight, but it 100% didnt happen on the way home anyway. 

Its noticeable when the light catches it, but playability wise, its not somewhere I can feel whilst playing.. 

I'm currently thinking I'm not actually too fussed about it.. Providing I get a little partial refund if I keep it! (i've emailed Andertons already). 

But if its going to cause issues down the line I'll get it swapped. I didnt know if the wood being exposed or what not would lead to problems, or the fact its near-ish a fret.. 

The big ones obvious, the smaller chip is almost directly below it after the fret. 

But it does have kinda sexy side dots... 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Take it back, it won’t improve with age... the fact you are pointing out suggests it’s bugging you...

andertons will change it in a heart beat!.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Looks like its an imperfection caused by a knot in the wood. They’ll definitely change it, no question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Those are definitely grain tear-outs from the fingerboard being machined. If you can't live with them, send it back.

Disappointing from Ibanez...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Return. If/when you decide to move it on, it will affect resale value.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    Or, you could scollop the fretboard ;)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    JezWynd said:
    Return. If/when you decide to move it on, it will affect resale value.
    Damn didnt think of that aspect. 

True though. 

Cool, I'll speak to them tomo see if they'll arrange a collection and deliver a new one... so can't be arsed to spend saturday on the m25 again haha! 
    I don't have much luck with new guitars haha! Should have checked the boxed one though really... but yeah, how it passes Ibanez's qc then Andertons (the box was opened because the Ibanez tape was cut, and resealed) me no no.. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’m not convinced Andertons QC is at the same level as some other big stores. That aside, there’s no way you should accept that defect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Years ago I saw a strat copy in a Sue Ryder shop that had a complete large knot hole on the fret board .Ist time i had seen a Chinese strat copy .
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4135
    I bought my Gibson sg new unseen from GAK online.   It was perfect.   Maybe their QC is better as a store. 
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Thats a QC issue and shouldnt have left the factory. The box shifters wont spot it as they dont open/ inspect each guitar before despatching.........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339
    Andertons QC does not mean much unfortunately.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7169
    Return it, looks pretty rough, especially on a brand new guitar!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12961
    Not that it in anyway excuses getting a guitar with a flaw but I've never understood why people try a guitar in a shop then go home with a completely different boxed one. Especially when it comes to something with figured wood / burst finish. 

I agree that you should send it back though. Andersons will sort that out for you. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 233
    Not that it in anyway excuses getting a guitar with a flaw but I've never understood why people try a guitar in a shop then go home with a completely different boxed one. Especially when it comes to something with figured wood / burst finish. 

I agree that you should send it back though. Andersons will sort that out for you. 

This - I was trying a guitar in a shop and said I will take it. They were surprised that I wanted the one that I had been playing for 30 mins. I said take the one you have boxed and put that on the wall as I'm having this one.
    Aye true very true. Tbh i decided within minutes that I'd buy it, it felt good, but the display one was pretty gnarly in terms of rusted strings (ok I can change them) little dents etc though. 

But true lesson learned next time the boxed ones being checked and played too! 

Andertons requested the pics so will see when they come back to me. 

Tbh i'm thinking I'll box it up tonight and leave at 8am to get there for when they open and exchange it.. hopefully I wont hit so much traffic coming back.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I like Andersons but I don’t like the pressure they put on to take the guitar out boxed when bought in store (if you don’t take the box you can’t exchange it I’ve been told by them more than once. To which I pithily replied “bollocks”)

I’ve always insisted they take it out of the box for a look at the actual guitar and then I’ll just take it in the case/gigbag

bad luck though. Would def return. 

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    I would definitely return that.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    kjdowd said:
    I like Andersons but I don’t like the pressure they put on to take the guitar out boxed when bought in store (if you don’t take the box you can’t exchange it I’ve been told by them more than once. To which I pithily replied “bollocks”)

I’ve always insisted they take it out of the box for a look at the actual guitar and then I’ll just take it in the case/gigbag

bad luck though. Would def return. 

They were fine with me. Then when I decided which one I wanted, I had half an hour playing the one of the box too, so they can be quite good about it too :)

GLWYRtn 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Annoying when that happens. You'd hope that the vendor would at least inspect the stock before shipping it out