So what's this GigRig new toy...

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    What’s the difference between this and other similar products like for example ... the original gig rig wet box?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24343
    Boss LS-2 = £80

Wetterbox = £229

Aside from the ability use an expression pedal for live blending... meh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    @hotpickups I have a Morningstar for midi. I am willing to bet £20 its much easier to use than the Boss ES

To be fair, neurosurgery using blunt instruments, blindfold, hopping on one leg whilst drunk in a sand storm would be easier than the Boss ES to program. I gave up with mine after two days and it went back to the store for a refund. Shockingly bad menu system. Simple if you dig menus, shit for anyone who wants to do stuff without reading an inch-thick instruction manual to find a simple operation.

Regarding the comment about buffers on the G2... genuinely, I've not noticed any issues or difference in tone whatsoever. And I'm super sensitive about such things, especially with my old Tele. Plus the modular power system is FAR FAR FAR lighter than any of the single box systems on the market that produce similar power (not important to some, massively important to me) and solved all of my ground-loop and noise pickup problems on my board. Horses for courses and all that. I would agree that as a system the Gigrig is expensive but for me, it solved *every* issue I had and is just super-reliable.

But I do agree about this pedal being a bit more than a bit... er... "wtf, you can do that a lot cheaper elsewhere".
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have one of the original ones with the vintage tone
    worth more now
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/2045822-the-gigrig-wet-box
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    My Mrs is struggling with the dryness of her Big Muff. If only she had a Wetter Box...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Lebarque said:
    My Mrs is struggling with the dryness of her Big Muff. If only she had a Wetter Box...
    And there it is everyone the first one to arrive LOL
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    It makes me wonder how much money goes into Dan's R&D and what he actually gets back to make it worth while. Will he really sell many of these?

It's just too impress his famous guitarist mates I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    You've clearly not been paying attention to this thread.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Lebarque said:
    You've clearly not been paying attention to this thread.
    Really? It must've been subtle ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FFS video demos are springing up all over the place with famous musicians using it now. It really is who you know in this industry ain't it ;) Very niche... too niche for me but seems a cool idea.... just not for me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I watched the video. It allows you to do some things, but not things that I am desperate to do. At the moment there are plenty of other ways that I would prefer to spend £229.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    ... and you need the expression pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    FFS video demos are springing up all over the place with famous musicians using it now. It really is who you know in this industry ain't it ;) 
    That’s been the standard new pedal marketing method for a while now, for everyone who has the reach (which probably means "the money"), so it shouldn't surprise anyone.

The pedal itself is a cool idea, I just struggle to see how practical it would be on a "permanent" pedalboard- I can see all sorts of ways it would force you in to compromises- either you're limited to one pair of blendable pedals or else you put multiple pedals in the loops and have to deal with the problems that come along with that...

It seems more suited as a "studio" pedal for experimenting and finding interesting sounds as a one-off rather than anything you'd integrate into to a gigging board. Which in practice probably means that it ends up as an occasional "shits and giggles" pedal.

What would be awesome would be if the next generation Gigrig switcher had the same functionality built in, assignable to different combinations of loops, which would be much more practical for a gigging board.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286

What would be awesome would be if the next generation Gigrig switcher had the same functionality built in, assignable to different combinations of loops, which would be much more practical for a gigging board.
    Great idea but I probably still wouldn't buy one! (1) Sledgehammer, (2) Nut.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    ^ Sure. It would likely be frighteningly expensive and would be more than most players would need. I can get close enough with my ES-5, and the shortfall isn't worth  £229 (almost as much as I paid for the ES-5).

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• @hotpickups I have a Morningstar for midi. I am willing to bet £20 its much easier to use than the Boss ES

@sgosden but you dont have lovely optical switches and a painted finish :-P
    I had the morningstar. Es5 is much easier for me.

Bye!

• impmann said:
    @hotpickups I have a Morningstar for midi. I am willing to bet £20 its much easier to use than the Boss ES

To be fair, neurosurgery using blunt instruments, blindfold, hopping on one leg whilst drunk in a sand storm would be easier than the Boss ES to program. I gave up with mine after two days and it went back to the store for a refund. Shockingly bad menu system. Simple if you dig menus, shit for anyone who wants to do stuff without reading an inch-thick instruction manual to find a simple operation.

Regarding the comment about buffers on the G2... genuinely, I've not noticed any issues or difference in tone whatsoever. And I'm super sensitive about such things, especially with my old Tele. Plus the modular power system is FAR FAR FAR lighter than any of the single box systems on the market that produce similar power (not important to some, massively important to me) and solved all of my ground-loop and noise pickup problems on my board. Horses for courses and all that. I would agree that as a system the Gigrig is expensive but for me, it solved *every* issue I had and is just super-reliable.

But I do agree about this pedal being a bit more than a bit... er... "wtf, you can do that a lot cheaper elsewhere".
    Blows my mind tbh. I find the boss units very easy to use. Only bested by the line 6 helix.

The morningstar had confusing dual press options I could never remember and even at its its eat switching time the messages arrived slowly.

Bye!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    edited May 2019
    Ironically this is making me want to get my Helix back out - parallel blending blocks and controlling them with the pedals is easy to do, and seeing examples of it has piqued my interest again 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    If you have 2 boards…put this in between it to the amp.  That might be fun.

Otherwise it's quite limited what it can do unless you want to constantly re-organising your board or have 2 loopers, 1 on each side and double up your effects just so you can choose what to blend….which goes back to my first sentence…need 2 boards.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    TimmyO said:
    Ironically this is making me want to get my Helix back out - parallel blending blocks and controlling them with the pedals is easy to do, and seeing examples of it has piqued my interest again 
    Yeah, this is easy with Helix.