Busking? Worth the effort?

What's Hot
sawyersawyer Frets: 732
Out of work at moment:(. Got enougth cash saved up to keep me ticking over for awhile, but just wondering if anyone done any busking for beer money etc? Is it worth the effort? Thinking lightly amped acoustic stuff to not be one of those overbearing tw4t5. I live near Durham city so this would probably where I would inflict myself on people. Probably just a mad pie in the sky idea but thought I'd ask your experiences.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    Only one way to find out!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    You may well need a license for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    Wonky said:
    otherwise it's the coppers chasing ya as you try to run away with your cymbals crashing between your knees
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    26reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    I’m doing it this summer not for cash but for the fun, walk past buskers every day in glasgow and want to get involved. Plan on giving any cash made to charity or homeless person or even another of the younger buskers who are doing coz they need the cash.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Ah yes the one man band! There used to be one in Durham. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    tony99 said:
    Wonky said:
    otherwise it's the coppers chasing ya as you try to run away with your cymbals crashing between your knees
    Lol I had to chuckle at that image you conjured up for me lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I've been thinking about this too. 
    I was told that I should check with the police to make sure that where I'm planning to do it is suitable and make sure I'm not going to get into trouble or get in anyones way or anything. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Many moons ago my friends older brother who gigged quite regularly would busk in the afternoon and play the gig in the evening usually when  palying out of town. Made Money.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7098
    tFB Trader
    One of my customers reckons he can make £1000 on a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    I busked in Barcelona once, got a lunch out of it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Just want to say that a lot of people hate amplified buskers and having their sound forced on them when they're just trying to go about town.

Whether that affects your decision or not is up to you, I won't say any more about it.

Just in case you might be the type who would want to avoid upsetting a lot of people but just weren't aware of the disdain.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I was just thinking about a small acoustic for simplicity. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    thegummy said:
    Just want to say that a lot of people hate amplified buskers and having their sound forced on them when they're just trying to go about town.

Whether that affects your decision or not is up to you, I won't say any more about it.

Just in case you might be the type who would want to avoid upsetting a lot of people but just weren't aware of the disdain.
    Miserable fekrz! I love to hear live music, even if it's not my kind of stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    No not wishing to be an annoyance. Like I said just an acoustic lightly amped. There's a guy plays slap bass in Newcastle Northumberland Street who's proper loud and annoying.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Bloody love buskers when they’re decent. When they’re not I’d gladly pay them to stop. There’s a guy who busks in Bond St station, and all he does for hour on end is whistle tunelessly. He’s blind so you can’t even give him a hint by walking past with your fingers in your earholes. 

Last summer by Victoria station a 4 piece band decided to give an impromptu performance. They were ridiculously good, and must have made a tidy sum, before the cops told them to do one. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    I love to hear Buskers in town, however, in my local town the buskers just play slow, sad songs, hello darkness, I could have told you Vincent, the streets of London, I mean , WTF? They are good but FFS pick it up a little.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    axisus said:
    thegummy said:

Miserable fekrz! I love to hear live music, even if it's not my kind of stuff. 
    There are probably things you don't like that others love. You probably wouldn't want those things forced on you, doesn't make you miserable.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3141
    Don't think you can just go and busk without a licence? I've even heard that in these parts you also have to be 'vetted' by shop owners to see whether you're good enough and that you'll play the music they find suitable. No rough old version of Anarchy In The UK round here, but a nice, gentle Katy Melua would probably be ok.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19283
    sawyer said:
    Out of work at moment:(. Got enougth cash saved up to keep me ticking over for awhile, but just wondering if anyone done any busking for beer money etc? Is it worth the effort? Thinking lightly amped acoustic stuff to not be one of those overbearing tw4t5. I live near Durham city so this would probably where I would inflict myself on people. Probably just a mad pie in the sky idea but thought I'd ask your experiences.
    Not sure what the situation is in Durham at the moment.
    They did have some kind of random licensing 'Durham's got talent ' type event  :o
    Hopefully it died an ignominious death.
    Just rock up in the Market Place or similar spot, do your thing & wait to see what happens.
    You can only get moved on at worst.
    Thankfully busking is not yet illegal, just don't fall foul of any local byelaws relating to 'begging' by having signs asking for cash  ;)
    Fair playing to you  ;)
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4153
    I went busking once with a mate whilst at uni. After a couple of hours we'd made £4.28.  Fuck that nonsense.  Mind you it was 1996 and cider was a pound a pint so it wasn't all that bad. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom