Les Paul Guts

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
If I was to take everything out of my Les Paul Custom and re-do the electronics, what kind of kit/quantities would you recommend?

Bumblebee capacitors are £69!! Which seems crazy to me and I don't know which Les Paul years these apply to.

I'm not a modder and I've kept everything stock before, so this is new ground for me.

Does anyone have any advice? I think I'm going to go for Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells, or a Dimarzio PAF and Super Distortion.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    Schnozz said:

Bumblebee capacitors are £69!! Which seems crazy to me and I don't know which Les Paul years these apply to.

Yes. Yes it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    Why are they so expensive?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    Unless you really want them for cosmetic reasons you don't need repro bumble bee caps. They don't sound any different to any other cap of the same value. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19285
    edited May 2019
    Schnozz said:
    If I was to take everything out of my Les Paul Custom and re-do the electronics, what kind of kit/quantities would you recommend?

I'm not a modder and I've kept everything stock before, so this is new ground for me.

Does anyone have any advice? I think I'm going to go for Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells, or a Dimarzio PAF and Super Distortion.
    Just because it has a stripey jacket, means nothing 
    The caps myth is just that.
    Read this thread, @ICBM & @p90fool are your friends.
    Edit : sausage fingers, forgot to input thread :astonished:    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/155939/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72929
    robgilmo said:
    Because fools and money...

You don't really need to pay more than 69p for a guitar cap, let alone £69. You can pay a little more and get some that are easier to handle, or look nicer if that's what you want, but they all sound exactly the same as long as they're the same value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3307
    tFB Trader
    I've just used a fake 58 bumblebee cap because it was for the look on a vintage spec junior, it was £13.50 and works just great

I also have luxe ones going in another guitar but I'd only use them if it's the look you want

Just get decent caps and you'll be good to go, i also use cheap pio Russian caps, they just look better to me rather than small cheap ones
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    One email to @sixstringsupplies can save you a world of hassle, Ed will be able to advise everything you need :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

You don't really need to pay more than 69p for a guitar cap, let alone £69. You can pay a little more and get some that are easier to handle, or look nicer if that's what you want, but they all sound exactly the same as long as they're the same value.
    Cool, so I'm thinking the usual x4 CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch and I'll have a look around for x2 caps

Is that all I need in addition to the pickups and maybe some shielding paint? 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    One email to @sixstringsupplies can save you a world of hassle, Ed will be able to advise everything you need :)
    Thank you!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

I remember a lot of this carry on within the audiophools circles, re-capping amps with exotic caps then sitting there wondering if it really was their amp or their speaker cable supports that didn't sound right. Ive always thought expensive caps were the ones that cost nearly a quid but were within spec and stayed within spec. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3307
    tFB Trader
    One recommendation i can offer is the svt cts pots from crazyparts have the best taper I've yet come across

I was using linear volumes and log tones before, most cts log pots just seem to be all gone by about 7 or 8
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72929
    Schnozz said:

Cool, so I'm thinking the usual x4 CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch and I'll have a look around for x2 caps

Is that all I need in addition to the pickups and maybe some shielding paint? 
    You don't need shielding paint - if you use all-shielded cable the guitar will be well-shielded without needing any additional steps. If you have caps where the outer foil is marked, connect that end to the tone control not the volume control and it will marginally reduce noise too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    I'd liked to get some aged hardware for mine, basically bridge, the stop thing, and the humbucker covers

Who can I speak to about that please?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31858
    tony99 said:
    I'd liked to get some aged hardware for mine, basically bridge, the stop thing, and the humbucker covers

Crazyparts?

"The Stop Thing" is my new favourite phrase.
    :)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    p90fool said:
    tony99 said:

Crazyparts?

"The Stop Thing" is my new favourite phrase.
    :)
    Sorry, I don't know the technical term, the bit in between the bridge and the lower humbucky.

Would I need any particular specifications? I'm a gibson les paul 2010 tradish.

Thanks for your help by the way.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11503
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

Orange drops are good for that.  Nice long legs made of thick wire that bend nicely and stay where you put them.  Still under £2 if you look around.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the recommendation @IvisonGuitars ;

As others have mentioned your best bet is orange drops. Reliable and not too expensive 

If you’re proficient with a soldering iron you’ll be better off buying a DIY wiring kit (that’s half the fun anyway)

Depending in your model you’ll have to determine whether it’s long or short shaft pots you need. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited May 2019
    Does @shugz ; still post on here?? That'd be what Id get.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19285
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/14533/
    Sadly Shugz has quit the loom business  :'(
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Heard my name been taken in vain :)

@sixstringsupplies is the man I'd recommend. I no longer make them. Fun while it lasted, poor but happy etc etc etc. I will be doing a 335 loom soon right enough but I know that customer well, me.

I don't tend to post on here much and the PMs notifications are a bit random but if your lives are really that empty and want to stay even more bored than you are already then I'm on Instagram (one_z_two_ls). Feel free to ignore (probably for the best...)

Best wishes 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com