Guy selling used guitar same price as new

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
There's a chap selling a HB Tele locally via Facebook Marketplace. "Harley Benton Vintage Telecaster, only a few months old from new, plastic still on pickguard, sale also includes stand, condition 100% immaculate, no marks or scratches."

He asking £120 and adds "No timewasters please and no offers accepted. Thank you for looking."

It looks like HB TE52. It retails at a price that translates at just over £120!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12499
    Yeah but do you get a free stand?
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    You stand there while he's telling you how great the guitar is
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11696
    tFB Trader
    So don't buy it - simples!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 30reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    I'd be very happy with a 1958 strat at the same price as new.....
    When logic and proportion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Guy *advertising*used guitar same price as new 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9738
    He’d get more for it if he’d taken that pesky plastic film off the pickguard.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited May 2019
    He’d get more for it if he’d taken that pesky plastic film off the pickguard.
    No, you don't find them used every day with the film still on it. That makes it extremely rare and we all know that rare means it's worth loadsamoney.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    He is just forward thinking, in 2032 when he eventually sells it they will cost considerably more new.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Send him a message and make him aware of what he's doing wrong. If you don't he'll never learn.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited May 2019
    Come on.
    He's just trying to get back what it "owes" him... AND you're saving delivery costs... AND you can try before you buy, none of that online buying risk. 
    He SHOULD be charging more really. 

Send him a message and make him aware of what he's doing wrong. If you don't he'll never learn.
    Aye & post his response because that always goes SO well. 

I'd look elsewhere, or wait a week or two (till he's wondering why it hasn't sold) & make an offer. 

This is assuming he wants to sell- I've "heard of" ads (obviously not mine. How dare you suggest it) where the price is obviously ambitious. "I know it's one in one out dear, I've got the other one up for sale... It's just not selling yet!"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Just buy the new one then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231

This is assuming he wants to sell- I've "heard of" ads (obviously not mine. How dare you suggest it) where the price is obviously ambitious. "I know it's one in one out dear, I've got the other one up for sale... It's just not selling yet!"
    Dammit, why have I never thought of this before?!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3165
    Just curious, are you actually interested in buying it?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    @maltingsaudio to be honest, no. If it was priced better, perhaps. Just pointing out how something that was probably only used for a photo opportunity can be sold for the price of something new.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    @maltingsaudio to be honest, no. If it was priced better, perhaps. Just pointing out how something that was probably only used for a photo opportunity can be sold for the price of something new.
    Can be put up for sale...

Doesn't mean anyone will buy it.

It could be as simple as his wife is demanding the sale and he is trying to keep it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1711
    Its there ,you can inspect it and  see it if s any good ,which is more than you can do by buying from Germany where you could buy a finger  ripping clunker  .Sure you can return it but its a load of pissing around so I can see a certain logic for chancing your arm ,the word chance being the operative word .As fretmeister says he may be making a meaningless gesture .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I’ve noticed that sellers seem to ask stupidly high prices for Harley Benton guitars on eBay, don’t know why. I’ve got four of them to get rid of, (just don’t like them). I’ll start them at a low price on eBay, it’ll be interesting to see what they fetch.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I’ve noticed that sellers seem to ask stupidly high prices for Harley Benton guitars on eBay, don’t know why. I’ve got four of them to get rid of, (just don’t like them). I’ll start them at a low price on eBay, it’ll be interesting to see what they fetch.
    Is there anything specific you don't like about them?

I like cheap guitar's if they have potential as I don't mind taking on some work. I only had one HB guitar, which was a resonator that basically had the biscuit bridge in the wrong place in relation to the spider cone and wouldn't intonate. This has put me off Harley Benton.
    edited May 2019
    I got a HB shortscale P about ten years ago new for £60 or something. I set it up and it sounded alright. i assume it was poor or fake rosewood on the fingerboard I didn't like feel of and eventually got my VM Jazz which is amazing. When I was without for a month while the Jazz got a pro set up I realised the HB was more than just quite good. Ten times better than the plywood thing I banged on in my twenties!
  • A TE52 has been my main guitar for about 2 years now. I may have been lucky, but it's a great (albeit heavily modified) guitar.