Why are all Vibes so shite?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Ps the kr uses carbon comp resistors so sounds nice and warm.
    This is simply mojo nonsense.

Carbon comp resistors add nothing but (a little bit of) noise.
    Carbon resistors take the radion element of each terminal and fuse them into an aggregate, so they do actually have an effect on overall tonality
    Now, THAT is one of the most cork sniffing comments I’ve read in the FX section....cap doffed!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

Carbon resistors take the radion element of each terminal and fuse them into an aggregate, so they do actually have an effect on overall tonality
    Now, THAT is one of the most cork sniffing comments I’ve read in the FX section....cap doffed!
    It would be if it wasn’t absolute twaddle! 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 886
    I am using the hxfx I still struggle to get the sound I want. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Gassage said:
    Well the Vibe Bro is, so far, excellent. It is only Friday though
    I’m curious to know what’s inside the vibe bro. The new company was not very forthcoming about the internal circuit so I was a little worried that it might not live up to the original reputation. 
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295

Carbon resistors take the radion element of each terminal and fuse them into an aggregate, which  does actually have an effect on overall tonality
    Thats done it           Now I'll have to run my geiger counter over my resistors
    When logic and proportion
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423

Carbon resistors take the radion element of each terminal and fuse them into an aggregate, which  does actually have an effect on overall tonality
    Thats done it           Now I'll have to run my geiger counter over my resistors
    Make sure you only wave it in a counter-clockwise direction while wearing rubber footwear, otherwise the mojo polarity will reverse.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    Gassage said:
    RIGHT, I refuse to fuck around any longer. Enter the heavy artillery.

I thought the Mayer was too big for you!  :#
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    I think Univibe type pedals are always a bit of a let down on the end of a nice pedalboard into a polite amp.

Stick a 50 quid Nanoverb on the Rotary setting into a pair of amps on the verge of meltdown and all hell breaks loose, controllable from the guitar a la Star Spangled Banner. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    lukedlb said:
    Gassage said:
    I’m curious to know what’s inside the vibe bro. The new company was not very forthcoming about the internal circuit so I was a little worried that it might not live up to the original reputation. 
    Unicorn tears, mojo, goop and a modified mooer
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    As stated elsewhere here, the photocell lovepedal vibronaut is decent. Although I have to say my vibe search was over when I realised what I really wanted was a decent harmonic trem...
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    I'll get me coat.
  • p90fool said:
    I think Univibe type pedals are always a bit of a let down on the end of a nice pedalboard into a polite amp.

Stick a 50 quid Nanoverb on the Rotary setting into a pair of amps on the verge of meltdown and all hell breaks loose, controllable from the guitar a la Star Spangled Banner. 
    I've got a Vibronaut, when I use it it's the first thing in the chain and as long as the gain staging between it, whatever comes after it and the amp is correct it sounds great. 

I only want it to do Hendrix though lol
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    lukedlb said:
    Gassage said:
    Carbon comp resistors lol
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Joking aside, the same applies to carbon-comp resistors as to caps - they *do* make a difference in certain circuit positions in amps where they are under very high voltages in the signal path - the plate resistors on valve gain stages, because the self-distortion characteristics become audible. (Even a modern company like Blackstar specifically uses them for those positions, when every other resistor in the amp is a modern surface-mount type.) But not anywhere else, and not at the voltages in a pedal circuit - although some builders like to use them for authenticity when copying vintage pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Agreed.  Authenticty and cosmetics are the only reason to use carbon comps in a pedal.  They sound no better, arguably sound worse due to increased noise and cost more than modern film resistors.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    I think of the Uni-Vibe effect as a thing in its own right rather than a convincing Leslie cabinet simulation. I have uses for both.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibes pretty cool!
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Nobody has mentioned the Sabbadius Funky Vibe...
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I had @4114Effects build me a univibe clone a few years back and, to my ears, sounds fantastic... however I am no snake oil tone hound... would happily do some faux Hendrix vids if anyone cared...
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited June 2019
    I’ve never been able to afford a vibe so I just employ a group of small children to pick up my amp and run around in a circle at the appropriate moment. They work for crisps and Fanta. Much cheaper. Just as effective.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom