Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The UK Guitar Show - London - Courtesy of Guitarist + Future Publishing

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
in Guitar tFB Trader
https://www.ukguitarshow.com/  - Courtesy of Future Publishing and the Guitarist magazine gang

2019 - Sat + Sun - Sept 21st + 22nd Sept - New venue in Islington - So new venue following Olympia at 2018 - Not sure what parking is like at the venue or the immediate area - Plus congestion fees etc - Any locals update accordingly

check out the ticket options - https://ukguitarshow.seetickets.com/event/uk-guitar-show-london-bass-guitar-show/business-design-centre/1385905 - baffling to say the least

I know I won't be exhibiting at this event - For various reasons - Initial thoughts is it looks more new and corporate and less used - I can't see any list of any dealers who are exhibiting so not sure how you can buy on the day - Looks like none of the used display of exhibitors who exhibit at most other shows - But plenty of workshops, tutorial, repair etc

Thoughts - Comments - Who is going etc etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Not my sort of thing. I find Guitar Shows really dull, especially when they are full of big names and guitar clinics. Prefer little local shows with used gear etc

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Tickets look too pricey
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    It’s on at a weekend, so no congestion charge. I believe the nearest car park is an NCP, so be prepared to pay a comical amount for the privilege of parking nearby.

The building was formerly the Royal Agricultural Hall. I have been there once, and it was so hot inside that I left after about 20 minutes for fear of my underwear perishing.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    It’s on at a weekend, so no congestion charge. I believe the nearest car park is an NCP, so be prepared to pay a comical amount for the privilege of parking nearby.

The building was formerly the Royal Agricultural Hall. I have been there once, and it was so hot inside that I left after about 20 minutes for fear of my underwear perishing.  
    just been told an under ground car park at the venue and yes expensive

Congestion fees will apply to exhibitors for Friday loading/set-up + exhibitors can't finish on Sunday - NO access to break down on Sunday, so Monday break down etc - So 4 days parking fees to exhibitors + congestion charges
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Interesting to see  TPS there after Much said the Birmingham show was much better than the London one. Some quite interesting artists too. 
    Getting to London for me being time consuming and expensive I can't see it happening although my son will be a student in Guildford by then so conceivably I could meet him for the day. Take him food parcels.

SouthpawMark said:

I didn't know the congestion charge doesn't apply at weekends? Does that mean I could go in my old diesel car? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    terada said:
    Tickets look too pricey
    not just the prices but so many options - Like booking a train to Exeter
    tFB Trader
    I didn't know the congestion charge doesn't apply at weekends? 
    ditto
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    edited May 2019
    Interesting to see  TPS there after Much said the Birmingham show was much better than the London one. Some quite interesting artists too. 
    Getting to London for me being time consuming and expensive I can't see it happening although my son will be a student in Guildford by then so conceivably I could meet him for the day. Take him food parcels.

SouthpawMark said:

I didn't know the congestion charge doesn't apply at weekends? Does that mean I could go in my old diesel car? 
    Yes, unless it chucks out so much smoke that it falls foul of the LEZ. 

SouthpawMark said:

Yes, unless it chucks out so much smoke that it falls foul of the LEZ. 
    Ahh, it might do that - never had reason to check. 
    tFB Trader

the buddies act as MT is the former editor of Guitarist

I believe other show organisers have tried on many occasions to invite TPS to various shows but they have shown little interest, for various reasons

the buddies act as MT is the former editor of Guitarist

I believe other show organisers have tried on many occasions to invite TPS to various shows but they have shown little interest, for various reasons
    Weird bit of auto correct - obviously I meant Mick! 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Last year was an OK show.  Well attended the workshops were a little basic but the 'gigs' were OK.  Not as good as the Guitar Show in Kempton Park for buying gear but i preferred the workshop/gig bits.  I cant watch the Huers(is it?) ever again 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited May 2019
    Half price earlybird tix at £13.40 look good. I've just booked now for Sunday.
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    edited May 2019
    Hope this is a better show than last years disappointing event....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

SouthpawMark said:

The ULEZ applies 24/7 but at this point it doesn't go as far North as Islington so you would be ok.

The zone is small at the moment.  It's due to be extended in two years time, which is when it expands out to almost everything within the North/South Circular roads.

The Tory mayoral candidate is making noises about not going ahead with the extension, so we have a choice of filthy air, or the current incompetent mayor.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Interesting so far - The aim is for the organisers to create/run the largest guitar show in the UK in the largest city, supported by the largest magazine in the UK, yet on FB the interest, replies and comments are close to zilch - More about parking and congestion than anything else

Don't get me wrong - It is an observation and not a moan - I won't be exhibiting so no skin of my back - But compared to the buzz on FB regarding the Birmingham Show in Feb, this is like a cup final in Baku so far
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    could it be that the event lacks the smaller, friendlier feeling of the Birmingham one? Also the lacks booth with used/vintage instruments. Despite the workshops, most of us go to these events for the guitars and having a beer or two.

it would cool if something smaller actually happened in central London.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I went to the first one they did in 1984 at The Barbican. I met John Entwistle, Jack Bruce and a young guy from America called Paul Reed Smith who had brought over six guitars he’d made himself and was trying to drum up business. We didn’t like them much, very fancy, and we thought they would never sell.............

Rob
    tFB Trader
    Ossyrocks said:
    I went to the first one they did in 1984 at The Barbican. I met John Entwistle, Jack Bruce and a young guy from America called Paul Reed Smith who had brought over six guitars he’d made himself and was trying to drum up business. We didn’t like them much, very fancy, and we thought they would never sell.............

Rob
    The Barbican was again a pain to get to - I don't think I ever visited that show - One of the early shows I recall they ran was at Manchester - Very small and intimate and think it was at one of the Uni buildings - Think Doug Chandler was there with a couple of PRS Guitars and a Boogie amp - Similar period maybe a year or two later
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2378
    Ossyrocks said:

Rob
    Did you used to go to the BMF @ Olympia too Rob? I found an old programme and ticket from there....entry was £3. My programme is signed by Jack Bruce, Mick Ralphs , Jerry Donahue and some others I don't even remember. Always a good excursion for a Lancastrian teenager. 

http://www.muzines.co.uk/images_mag/articles/es/ES_85_08_the_british__large.jpg