To Bigsby or not to Bigsby?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I've been toying with the idea of adding a Bigsby to my Goldtop Les Paul 70's tribute, BUT, I don want to have to drill into my guitar, so is there a Bigsby that'll fit without the need to drill? If so should I do it or should I just fit the aluminium Faber ABR-1 bridge and tail piece I have laying around? The vote is down to you good people, yes or no to the Bigsby?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    Always Bigsby.

Use a Vibramate, removes need for drill holes. 

Bigsby B7 is a popular model for LP’s, if you go for a B7, then also look to get a Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser (and squishy spring).  This mod maximises the wigglesome potential of the B7, but removes all the stiffness from the tension bar setup. Transforms a troublesome Bigsby in an awesome Bigsby. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    https://youtu.be/-42G8P7niZs

Not the exact video for the B7, but explains what the Tuning Stabiliser mod does.
     https://youtu.be/jpNIAIYSDkE

The mod: https://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/bts5712/

Squishy Spring:
    https://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/sss/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    edited June 2019
    Depends if you are going to stand up with it, they weigh half a ton anyway without adding a load of steel to it!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2019
    It’s your guitar so if you want to go for it. 
    munckee said:
    Depends if you are going to stand up with it, they weigh half a ton anyway without adding a load of steel to it!
    Bigsbys are made from Aluminium, not steel. They are not as heavy as you think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Vibramate- the only issue is they decrease the break angle on bridge. And Yay.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    TheMarlin said:
    munckee said:
    Bigsbys are made from Aluminium, not steel. They are not as heavy as you think. 
    I tried a 335 in a shop once then one with a bigsby the second one was so much heavier, it may have been heavier anyway of course. 

I was was joking anyway yes to the bigsby. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    Be aware that on a nitro-finished guitar, even the pressure from the felt pads on the Vibramate can mark the finish - it may polish out, but don't count on it being completely invisible.

The Vibramate also has the advantage of raising the front of the Bigsby by about 1/8", which helps with tuning stability without needing the raised tension bar, and the disadvantage of moving it backwards by about the same which both looks surprisingly odd, and sometimes make it difficult to get the guitar into the case.

In fact, the first thing I would do is check the bridge height on the guitar - Gibsons are notoriously variable, and a Bigsby is going to cause much more trouble if the bridge is high than if it's low, no matter what you do with a Vibramate or a Tuning Stabiliser.

Personally I would avoid softer springs, in my experience they make any tuning problems worse not better, but some people seem to find the opposite. (And I dislike the feel of them too.) More important is making sure the arm bolt is properly tightened - many Bigsbys come with one washer missing which makes it work loose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    TheMarlin said:
    Always Bigsby.

Bigsby B7 is a popular model for LP’s, if you go for a B7, then also look to get a Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser (and squishy spring).  This mod maximises the wigglesome potential of the B7, but removes all the stiffness from the tension bar setup. Transforms a troublesome Bigsby in an awesome Bigsby. 

Thank you for your very helpful reply, I take it from a quick search that I'll have to order the V7 LP mounting kit too? Also, what do I do about the strap pin screw, I have Schaller strap locks to go on but am worried they won't be long enough to accommodate the extra thickness of the Bigsby, is  this the case or am I worrying about nothing? Sorry for all the questions but if I go for this I want to make sure I have all the right gubbins to make it easy for me to install.

munckee said:
    The weight isn't a problem, at 6' 4" and just under 22 stone I prefer a hefty guitar, it feels more natural in my hands having some weight to the guitar.ICBM said:
    Be aware that on a nitro-finished guitar, even the pressure from the felt pads on the Vibramate can mark the finish - it may polish out, but don't count on it being completely invisible.

The Vibramate also has the advantage of raising the front of the Bigsby by about 1/8", which helps with tuning stability without needing the raised tension bar, and the disadvantage of moving it backwards by about the same which both looks surprisingly odd, and sometimes make it difficult to get the guitar into the case.

In fact, the first thing I would do is check the bridge height on the guitar - Gibsons are notoriously variable, and a Bigsby is going to cause much more trouble if the bridge is high than if it's low, no matter what you do with a Vibramate or a Tuning Stabiliser.

Personally I would avoid softer springs, in my experience they make any tuning problems worse not better, but some people seem to find the opposite. (And I dislike the feel of them too.) More important is making sure the arm bolt is properly tightened - many Bigsbys come with one washer missing which makes it work loose.
    A great reply as always from you @ICBM Thank you. There is no nitro to worry about with the 70's Trib it's a satin Goldtop finish so will be safe. If I go for it I may still mount the Faber ABR-1 aluminium bridge, why not!?

Again thank you to you all for your help and advice.
    Most Bigsby tuning issues are nut related.  You need to make sure the nut is properly cut (attention paid to string entry and exit points of the nut), and properly lubed.  Tension bar Bigsbys can cause some tuning issues, but the Tuning Stabiliser addresses all of these issues. 
    The best Bigsby is the B6, but I don’t think LP’s have the break angle to make a B6 work. 
    TheMarlin said:

The best Bigsby is the B6, but I don’t think LP’s have the break angle to make a B6 work. 
    Usually not unless the bridge is really high. Even then it will alter the tone and sustain a lot and make it sound a bit 'Gretschy'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3216
    B3 with a towner is another reversible option -if it was me I’d go down this route over a b7. Worth a look.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    zepp76 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Always Bigsby.

Thank you for your very helpful reply, I take it from a quick search that I'll have to order the V7 LP mounting kit too? Also, what do I do about the strap pin screw, I have Schaller strap locks to go on but am worried they won't be long enough to accommodate the extra thickness of the Bigsby, is  this the case or am I worrying about nothing? Sorry for all the questions but if I go for this I want to make sure I have all the right gubbins to make it easy for me to install.

munckee said:
    The weight isn't a problem, at 6' 4" and just under 22 stone I prefer a hefty guitar, it feels more natural in my hands having some weight to the guitar.ICBM said:

A great reply as always from you @ICBM Thank you. There is no nitro to worry about with the 70's Trib it's a satin Goldtop finish so will be safe. If I go for it I may still mount the Faber ABR-1 aluminium bridge, why not!?

Those 70s tributes are still nitro. 
    B3 with a towner is another reversible option -if it was me I’d go down this route over a b7. Worth a look.
    The B3 is nice, but if you go for that option, the. You might want a longer Bigsby arm. 
    https://youtu.be/Z2ntM3I-90c

I may have a set of these knocking about somewhere....
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited June 2019
    I'm actually pondering whether to add a bigsby to a 59 Gibson Memphis ES-330 wildwood spec I just got, but the guitar is so perfect in every way with the trapeze tailpiece, that I might just leave it for now.
    brooom said:
    I'm actually pondering whether to add a bigsby to a 59 Gibson Memphis ES-330 wildwood spec I just got, but the guitar is so perfect in every way with the trapeze tailpiece, that I might just leave it for now.
    You have to.

Coolest guitar ever.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    brooom said:
    I've fitted one to my ES-330 59RI. A B7 adds so much more fun, it should be mandatory.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited June 2019
    @brooom you will not regret it. 

I tweaked the tuneomatic, (rounded the height adjuster contact points to have a rocking bridge, see pic) changed the way I restring to have less downward angle on the nut and it works a charm. Adding shimmer on that clean neck pickup is beautiful. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Whitecat said:
    zepp76 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Always Bigsby.

munckee said:

Those 70s tributes are still nitro. 
    I don't mean to be argumentative but are you sure? It's a dark back so no lacquer there and the top doesn't seem to have any kind of lacquer at all just a satin gold paint job.