Sitting with a Les Paul

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
A lot of Les Paul hounds on here...I wonder how you all feel about it as a “sitting” guitar.

I think they are the most beautiful solid body guitar design and in many circumstances the best sounding.

But I’ll be damned if my R8 isn’t a pain to sit with. It probably gets overlooked too much for home playing as a result. Needs a strap when seated really. On the right thigh it tends to slip backwards so without a strap I’m too tense and distracted. Between the legs and the position is kind of shifted too far to the left, more so than when standing.

Very comfortable standing to play but an awkward bugger sitting down. Strat, tele, firebird, SG all much more comfortable to sit with. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5431
    Waist over right leg and angle the neck forwards. Works for me. But I have long legs and arms. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    I've always found them very comfortable to play sitting down, except when they're so heavy they leave a dent in your leg. (Right one.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    always play mine sitting down no probs
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Snags said:
    Waist over right leg and angle the neck forwards. Works for me. But I have long legs and arms. 
    Just tried. You’re right it works better holding the neck forwards, although kind of relies on the guitar body being trapped under the right elbow, which I think I’d find restricting after a while.

My R8 is 9lbs dead so not ridiculous. The relatively forward shifted waist on the Les Paul no doubt shifts the weight to the rear when balanced on a thigh.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    youre overthinking it man
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3115
    I find my R8 a little awkward to play sitting down as well. So it’s not just the OP.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    If your strap is correctly adjusted, when you assume a seated position, it will take some of the load off your leg. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Ergonomically they just don’t work for me - I’ve owned five over the years - so I’ve given LPs a good go.... 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    It's less about the overall weight and more about how balanced the guitar is. 

My best Les Pauls are about 7lb15, 8lb12 and 9lb dead and with no hands balance on my right thigh.

Quite often though Les Paul bodies feel like they want to fall down to the right. I've passed on some great sounding Les Pauls because they do this. Almost like reverse neck dive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    youre overthinking it man
    Not really, I’ve had a Les Paul of some description for nearly 10 years and always found this. There’s obviously a design related reason for this happening, no doubt a combination of weight/weight distribution and shape. No doubt influenced by individual player shape too!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    Yup, my big fat belly doe4snt help when sitting with an LP.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2015
    I found a PRS SC a pain to play seated, but I'm usually fine with Les Paul and use a strap if it's a heavy one.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 617
    I can't play any guitar seated without a strap. I play with the neck at approximately the same angle as a classical player or my hand is cramped. The strap controls the guitar and doesn't force me to contort my legs with diffident guitars or use a footstool.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1049
    I find sitting with a LP fine - standing I find the lack of tummy cut means that the guitar leans forward - which is really just a sign I need to lose the belly :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Guitars are for Rock & Roll, not bloody chamber music. Get up, stand up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Sassafras said:
    Meh. Guitars are for whatever people want them for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    terada said:
    Sassafras said:
    Meh. Guitars are for whatever people want them for. 
    Exactly. The LP was partly designed by a Jazz guitarist after all!
    Was just a “musing” really. We’re all different shapes etc. Love LPs too much to let it go for this reason, it just stays in a strap.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    Sassafras said:
    Get up, stand up.
    Stand up for your rights!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 617
    edited June 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Depends on age and lifestyle - a few great players have taken a seat in later life. Also the practicalities, I'd love to jump around like early Townshend, it would cost me a fortune in house insurance :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom