Gibson les paul or Esp e2 eclipse

What's Hot
Nath_R89Nath_R89 Frets: 5
I've got a big birthday coming up in near future, so i've got the perfect opportunity to get a new guitar  =)

I can't decide between a les paul or a e2 eclipse and wondered if any of you knowledgeable folk would be help guide me to make sure I make the best decision. 
  I play metal/rock & blues mainly although I edge towards metal more so the esp would be more suited but i've always wanted a 'proper' les paul that, would be more versatile?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    I would get a lovely les paul. I don't know what an ESP e2 is.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19285
    Hi, welcome to the forum (I'm not an ambassador!).
    Buckle up, you might just be in for an interesting & hopefully informative ride  ;) :)
    Hope your birthday works out well.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    The ESP is very nice - and close - but if you have always wanted a proper Les Paul then you must have one. The 1st one you buy may not be the ultimate...or it might be. Wouldn't be any more versatile and the ESP has what looks like better fret access at the top. But you will always think "what if?" unless you go LP. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nath_R89Nath_R89 Frets: 5
    It's their japanese les paul shape  =)
    I think I'm heading more towards the Gibson as its something i've always wanted but something in back of my mind says that might suit me more. 
    Thank you @Kittyfrisk ;
    @jdgm i guess your right 
    :) thats definitely something that's on my mind 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Get whatever it is you really want. For me, I wanted a les Paul, and it took me years to just suck it up and pay the money for one. In the long run it cost me a lot more than it would have if I’d been honest to myself. 

That said, nowt wrong with a good esp, so if that’s where your heart lies, go for it. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231
    I've owned a real Les Paul, and an LTD EC1000, which is the cheaper (Korean made) version of the Eclipse. The LTD was my main gigging guitar for years; the Les Paul went on eBay after one gig. If I was in the market for a single cut guitar now I'd definitely be going down the ESP route
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    If you want a Gibson LP, I'd definitely look at a LP Custom if you are veering into the Metal category, they sound a bit tighter than a Standard imho, whether that's down to the maple neck and ebony is always open to debate ;) and Happy Birthday btw 
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    The ESP will be more consistent quality.  The Gibson will be a lucky dip (get a good one and they're fine, but a bad one, ooph!).  Also you could get the ESP with 24 frets.  No chance of that with a Gibson LP, still in the dark ages.
    On top of this the thing that stops me ever own a Les Paul again is the headstock fragility.  Risky business, a gamble in itself, not one I want to take again.
    With all that said though, try both and go with the one that speaks to you most.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Get a Les Paul, and trade it for an Eclipse when you grow tired of the headstock logo :)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    For a big birthday, I'd go for the Les Paul if you can afford one. If you buy new, the 2019 Gibson range is supposed to have better QC than recent years. If you buy used, I always suggest trying several as there have been so many variations in specs over the years with ropey QC.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6813
    Are you going new or "pre-loved"?
    I have a great one in the sales corner....  ;)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2939
    For me it's quality, design and consistency over brand name so ESP all the way. I think the upper fret access on the Eclipse is miles better and all the ESP/LTD guitars I've played have been great. Can't say the same for Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7347
    I had this exact choice to make...I have a 2014 traditional :)

FWIW there something about the grunt of an LP that I think the ESP will be missing despite its better ergonomics.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    seems like you want one guitar to satisfy both needs. it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. what do you want the guitar to do? help you write music, play gigs, motivate you to learn to play? both guitars are good in my opinion, the les paul have different models compared to the ESP so you will have to check some out to see what you like. one idea is to get your les paul, but maybe change the pickups so it satisfies the metal side of you, depends how heavy you want to go.  also les paul's have different neck profiles, so that would effect playability.

I would do some research, get yourself to a guitar shop and try the Gibson range, and maybe they may have an eclipse you can try.

in terms of purchasing, do you want brand spanking new, or used. I don't like the word used as guitarists tend to keep their guitars in good condition. I've amassed 35 guitars and I think only one was bought brand new !
    Thanks for replies, :) i've been thinking about what you've all, said & from my own experience and concluded an eclipse is what I will most likely get. It suits the metal, side of me more (although I don't play the super low tuned extreme stuff) it's what I play 80% of time. I think the consistency & better ergonomics will make me wanna play it more longterm instead of chasing the Gibson name. That been, said if I try one & it's the one it will be coming home  ;)

I have no problem with used guitars so will be looking :) also will be visiting some guitar shops soon so will be trying everything & hopefully will have a ngd soon  :) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    My main axe since 1990 has been a les paul custom, I've been lookign for a gigging replacement for years.
    A few years ago I went to see the dictators, I'm a huge ross the boss fan. He was playing LTD guitars on the tour, and as always he sounded fantastic. I though if it's good enough for him ..!!
    I got myself a LTD EC1000 with SD pickups . 
    It really had the feel and vibe of my les paul custom, and it became my gigging guitar. I've wanated to try a "proper" ESP ever since.

The 2 guitars are different, I'd say that the LTD is a kind of "evolution" of the les paul.

Cons-  - It's not a gibson, the shape is slightly different, it's hard to get one without EMG's, the control layout is different, it has a neck volute.

Pros, plays great, sounds great, great value used.

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4231
    edited June 2019
    My main axe since 1990 has been a les paul custom, I've been lookign for a gigging replacement for years.
    A few years ago I went to see the dictators, I'm a huge ross the boss fan. He was playing LTD guitars on the tour, and as always he sounded fantastic. I though if it's good enough for him ..!!
    It really had the feel and vibe of my les paul custom, and it became my gigging guitar. I've wanated to try a "proper" ESP ever since.

The 2 guitars are different, I'd say that the LTD is a kind of "evolution" of the les paul.

Cons-  - It's not a gibson, the shape is slightly different, it's hard to get one without EMG's, the control layout is different, it has a neck volute.

Genuine question, not taking the piss or trying to start an argument: why is a neck volute a bad thing? I never noticed it on my EC1000, apart from when I looked at it - my thumb never went anywhere near it or anything...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    ESP is better built, lighter weight but has worse resale value.

Gibson has the name the logo lickers want, weighs more, has worse upper fret access and won't reduce in value quite so much.

The neck shapes are also massively different. the ESP has their slim U shape with a 42mm nut, and the Gibson has a couple of different neck shapes with a 43mm nut.

The only thing they really have in common is the basic shape.

Having owned a couple of Les Pauls and an older ESP Eclipse, I'd have the ESP again, but I'd buy used to avoid the depreciation.

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344

Genuine question, not taking the piss or trying to start an argument: why is a neck volute a bad thing? I never noticed it on my EC1000, apart from when I looked at it - my thumb never went anywhere near it or anything...
    It's not a bad thing at all, I was just mentioning it something that's different from a current gibson les paul both as a construction thing and a playing thing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom