Gibson les paul or Esp e2 eclipse

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ESP is better built, lighter weight but has worse resale value.

Gibson has the name the logo lickers want, weighs more, has worse upper fret access and won't reduce in value quite so much.

The neck shapes are also massively different. the ESP has their slim U shape with a 42mm nut, and the Gibson has a couple of different neck shapes with a 43mm nut.

The only thing they really have in common is the basic shape.

Having owned a couple of Les Pauls and an older ESP Eclipse, I'd have the ESP again, but I'd buy used to avoid the depreciation.

I'd have no hesitation in getting a 2nd hand ESP at all over a les paul, it's just a shame they don't come up often, especially the non EMG ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1332
    Les paul all the way. I owned both, still have the lp. Yes, eclipse was amazing quality but it felt somehow soulless. Generic is probably best word to describe it!
    Chuck some hotter pups into the lp and it'll get you everywhere you want. I have a 490 & 498 combo in mine,  it's a tone machine with the right use of tone and volume pots.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited June 2019
    Cons-  - It's not a gibson, the shape is slightly different, it's hard to get one without EMG's, the control layout is different, it has a neck volute.

Pros, plays great, sounds great, great value used.
    Nope, not seeing any negatives for a metal axe    mrgreen 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited June 2019
    Of the two? Single-cut PRS :). Or the Gibson
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    Why not buy the Gibson High performance LP as a good compromise? Proper LP but with a good neck heal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom