DC Resistance

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
It's often said that it's wrong to see DC Resistance as a measure of how hot a pickup is.

Are people who say they being slightly pedantic and saying that other things have a slight effect or is it really no measure and, e.g. an 8k alnico v Strat pickup could be just as hot as a different model that's a 14k alnico v Strat pickup?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I've been told it's how many winds that are important not the readings which surprised me, it can change with temperature apparently 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Ash of Oil City Pickups and Alex of Alegree have both attempted to explain this on numerous occasions.

Bear with me. I’ll post a link to some of those old Discussions. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    DC resistance is a crude indicator of output and tone if all other factors are similar, but by itself it's not a good guide to either.

I've been told it's how many winds that are important not the readings which surprised me, it can change with temperature apparently 
    Basically, the output is determined by a combination of the number of turns in the coil and the strength of the magnetic field. If you wound a pickup with the exact same number of turns of a much smaller wire gauge, the DC resistance would be a lot higher but the output would be the same. (Although the tone would also be slightly different due to the different coil geometry.) If you used a less powerful magnet as well you would then get *less* output, even though the DC resistance is higher.

And yes, the wire resistance does change a little with temperature, although not that much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited June 2019
    *Anecdote alert - not actual science!*

I’ve found its as much a matter of frequency range as it is output - lower resistance seems to result in a lower output but increased clarity and more top and bottom end. In my experience this means distortion and fuzz pedals can do their job better and you might actually get more gain before you get to the point of being mushy and undefined. 

Also, in my experience the size of the coil seems to affect headroom too. For example Jazzmaster pickups seem to have loads of ‘headroom’ even when you dig in hard whereas a Strat/Tele/Jaguar kind of limits and compresses more easily. 

So yeah, beyond how midrangey/loud it’ll be compared to other similar pickups it’s not the be all and end all in my (uneducated) experience!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    *Anecdote alert - not actual science!*

I’ve found its as much a matter of frequency range as it is output - lower resistance seems to result in a lower output but increased clarity and more top and bottom end. In my experience this means distortion and fuzz pedals can do their job better and you might actually get more gain before you get to the point of being mushy and undefined. 

Also, in my experience the size of the coil seems to affect headroom too. For example Jazzmaster pickups seem to have loads ‘headroom’ even when you dig in hard whereas a Street/tele/Jaguar kind of limits and compresses more easily. 

So yeah, beyond how midrangey/loud it’ll be compared to other similar pickups it’s not the be all and end all in my (uneducated) experience!
    Well there is science in that, a pickup is basically an inductor ... an inductor offers a higher resistance (reactance) to higher treble frequencies than it does to low (bass) frequencies. So less windings more treble I would have thought. There's probably a tiny amount of capacitance as well which will increase with more coils of larger surface area
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    The capacitance is actually fairly significant and is one reason larger, flatter coils are brighter than taller, narrower ones - as well as why metal covers dull the tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I seem to remember reading that inductance (whatever that is) gives a more realistic idea of a pickup's power.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596

Inductance and magnetic strength will tell you about a pickups "output".  Resistance is a vague clue.  I think it's become a thing because it's easy to measure.  But I do wish people would stop referring to "a pickups output is x KOhms". Ohms is the unit for the measurement of resistance, it can't actually be an expression of signal level!   It's like saying a car's top speed is 1.6 Litres.  Engine capacity is a clue to speed but many other factors involved.   

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The capacitance is actually fairly significant and is one reason larger, flatter coils are brighter than taller, narrower ones - as well as why metal covers dull the tone.
    Totally ...

Inductance and magnetic strength will tell you about a pickups "output".  Resistance is a vague clue.  I think it's become a thing because it's easy to measure.  But I do wish people would stop referring to "a pickups output is x KOhms". Ohms is the unit for the measurement of resistance, it can't actually be an expression of signal level!   It's like saying a car's top speed is 1.6 Litres.  Engine capacity is a clue to speed but many other factors involved.   

Millivolts output is probably the best indicator of pure signal strength ... but it's out of most people's ability to measure as it requires a signal generator that will feed a test frequency to the pickup. Plucking the strings and reading the millivolts is useless as plucking strength and where you pick on the string will vary the millivolts the pickup is delivering.

I would say that pickup manufacturers are as much to blame as the pickup buying public for persisting with the DCR 'output' myth. If I had my way I would not even quote DCR on my site ... but people keep asking for it ... so I go with the flow!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It's frustrating that there isn't a universal measurement of pickup output.

Buying pickups in general is little more than based on a whim for the majority of people who don't get a chance to thoroughly test lots of different ones but we at least would like to have balanced output (or at least a desired mis match) without having to go for a set of the same kind.

I'm after a fatter sounding Strat bridge and I knew gilmour has that so I checked the specs of his and it's about 13k resistance or so. Bare Knuckle, however, don't have anything that high even in the pickups they class as very high output modern ones.

Hence this question, does it mean the pickup they call hot at around 8k can have just as much output as the 13k Gilmour one?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I thought the Gilmour bridge pickup was an off the shelf Seymour Duncan
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:

Buying pickups in general is little more than based on a whim for the majority of people who don't get a chance to thoroughly test lots of different ones but we at least would like to have balanced output (or at least a desired mis match) without having to go for a set of the same kind.

I'm after a fatter sounding Strat bridge and I knew gilmour has that so I checked the specs of his and it's about 13k resistance or so. Bare Knuckle, however, don't have anything that high even in the pickups they class as very high output modern ones.

Hence this question, does it mean the pickup they call hot at around 8k can have just as much output as the 13k Gilmour one?
    Yes Gilmour uses a 13k pickup (I know I make a version myself)... it's wound with finer wire rather than the 42awg wire that Strat pickups usually are wound with ... and probably is not much higher output than a pokey 8k pickup  ... however it's tone is more middle focused which is what Gilmour is famous for. @Gassage has one of mine ... he can tell you how they sound compared to a 'normal' Strat pickup.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

Yes Gilmour uses a 13k pickup (I know I make a version myself)... it's wound with finer wire rather than the 42awg wire that Strat pickups usually are wound with ... and probably is not much higher output than a pokey 8k pickup  ... however it's tone is more middle focused which is what Gilmour is famous for. @Gassage has one of mine ... he can tell you how they sound compared to a 'normal' Strat pickup.
    Which of yours is similar to the Gilmour one?

I quite fancied the Diamond Geezer just for having the option of a switchable extra sound. Is it available with flat poles instead of stagger?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    The DC resistance is simply a measure of how long the wire is, which translates to how many winds. However, different wires may (will) have different resistance, so it is not a precise measure.

One thing it does do is tell you that the wires aren't broken!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    edited June 2019
    Oh, and don't refer to the resistance as "output"!
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

I quite fancied the Diamond Geezer just for having the option of a switchable extra sound. Is it available with flat poles instead of stagger?
    DG stands for Dave Gilmour right ... DG also equals Diamond Geezer .... and Gillmour was the Geezer that did 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'
    Enough hints? ;-)

And yes you can have it flush pole :-)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

DG stands for Dave Gilmour right ... DG also equals Diamond Geezer .... and Gilmour was the Geezer that did 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'
    Enough hints? ;-)

And yes you can have it flush pole :-)

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    thegummy said:

Contrary to the CS model, the real black strat has a Custom Shop Seymour SSL1C-DG-CS in it.
    Seymour used the spec Ash alludes to.

It's monsterous in output without ever being harsh.

Ash actually rewound the original 1961 black-back in my strat as it was dying anyway.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    DC resistance is a crude indicator of output and tone if all other factors are similar, but by itself it's not a good guide to either.
    if the pick-ups are similar, ie 2 pafs from the same builder then a 7.75k and a 8.2K reading will tell you one is hotter - Only slightly - So a DC resistance reading does have its purpose - Same with 3 similar Strat pick-ups say 5.5, 5.6 and 5.9K - You know which to put in the bridge position etc

But as others have indicated as above, a thinner winding, with more turns will produce  a higher reading but that won't equate to a higher output - So it works when comparing a like for like pick-up, but not if built/spec'd differently
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    ICBM said:
    if the pick-ups are similar, ie 2 pafs from the same builder then a 7.75k and a 8.2K reading will tell you one is hotter - Only slightly - So a DC resistance reading does have its purpose - Same with 3 similar Strat pick-ups say 5.5, 5.6 and 5.9K - You know which to put in the bridge position etc

But as others have indicated as above, a thinner winding, with more turns will produce  a higher reading but that won't equate to a higher output - So it works when comparing a like for like pick-up, but not if built/spec'd differently
    Exactly ... and you have to take account of the magnet too ... a fairly polite 8k P90 with twin alnico 5 magnets could for example have twin alnico 8 magnets installed instead (I have done this fairly often) the result will practically blow your windows out.