DC Resistance

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    prowla said:
    The DC resistance is simply a measure of how long the wire is, which translates to how many winds. However, different wires may (will) have different resistance, so it is not a precise measure.

One thing it does do is tell you that the wires aren't broken!

It's not just how long the wire is.  It depends on the diameter of the wire as well.  A thinner wire of the same length will have a higher resistance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    It's frustrating that there isn't a universal measurement of pickup output.

Buying pickups in general is little more than based on a whim for the majority of people who don't get a chance to thoroughly test lots of different ones but we at least would like to have balanced output (or at least a desired mis match) without having to go for a set of the same kind.

I'm after a fatter sounding Strat bridge and I knew gilmour has that so I checked the specs of his and it's about 13k resistance or so. Bare Knuckle, however, don't have anything that high even in the pickups they class as very high output modern ones.

Hence this question, does it mean the pickup they call hot at around 8k can have just as much output as the 13k Gilmour one?
    Yes Gilmour uses a 13k pickup (I know I make a version myself)... it's wound with finer wire rather than the 42awg wire that Strat pickups usually are wound with ... and probably is not much higher output than a pokey 8k pickup  ... however it's tone is more middle focused which is what Gilmour is famous for. @Gassage has one of mine ... he can tell you how they sound compared to a 'normal' Strat pickup.
    Which of yours is similar to the Gilmour one?

I quite fancied the Diamond Geezer just for having the option of a switchable extra sound. Is it available with flat poles instead of stagger?
    DG stands for Dave Gilmour right ... DG also equals Diamond Geezer .... and Gilmour was the Geezer that did 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'
    Enough hints? ;-)

And yes you can have it flush pole :-)
    DG stands for the most prominent virtuoso guitarist of the entire decade of the 90s - DimebaG darrell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    prlgmnr said:
    DG stands for the most prominent virtuoso guitarist of the entire decade of the 90s - DimebaG darrell.
    Who?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    It's frustrating that there isn't a universal measurement of pickup output.

Buying pickups in general is little more than based on a whim for the majority of people who don't get a chance to thoroughly test lots of different ones but we at least would like to have balanced output (or at least a desired mis match) without having to go for a set of the same kind.

I'm after a fatter sounding Strat bridge and I knew gilmour has that so I checked the specs of his and it's about 13k resistance or so. Bare Knuckle, however, don't have anything that high even in the pickups they class as very high output modern ones.

Hence this question, does it mean the pickup they call hot at around 8k can have just as much output as the 13k Gilmour one?
    Yes Gilmour uses a 13k pickup (I know I make a version myself)... it's wound with finer wire rather than the 42awg wire that Strat pickups usually are wound with ... and probably is not much higher output than a pokey 8k pickup  ... however it's tone is more middle focused which is what Gilmour is famous for. @Gassage has one of mine ... he can tell you how they sound compared to a 'normal' Strat pickup.
    Which of yours is similar to the Gilmour one?

I quite fancied the Diamond Geezer just for having the option of a switchable extra sound. Is it available with flat poles instead of stagger?
    DG stands for Dave Gilmour right ... DG also equals Diamond Geezer .... and Gilmour was the Geezer that did 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'
    Enough hints? ;-)

And yes you can have it flush pole :-)
    Nice one thanks - I've put an order in.

Wish it Was Here already...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @OilCityPickups got the pickup today and installed it after work. Got the tap on an S1 switch and first impressions are extremely positive.

For some reason I had guessed I'd mainly use the tap and occasionally switch to full for a boost but on the first wee play about the full output is what I loved most. As you said, it doesn't really seem to increase output, it fills out or fattens the sound.

One thing though - position 2 sounds strange. Rather than the typical Strat inbetween hollow sound it kind of sounds a bit "wah" like. Is that anything to do with the phase being wired differently to Fender CS pickups or is it just a symptom of the bridge being so much hotter than the middle?

In all honesty I don't think it would bother me as I always find both inbetween positions very functionally similar and almost redundant and I do generally use position 4 most of the time anyway, but would be good to get any fixable issues sorted if that is what it is.

Must thank you for another great pickup, this is my second order and both times it's been better than I expected. Fender are missing out by not having anything like this stock - it already seems the most useful use of the S1 switch I've come across (which I highly recommend to anyone modding a Strat, it's so clean and neat compared to an additional toggle or a push-pull.)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    The slightly “wah” effect of the full output bridge and centre pickups is almost certainly the product of them being out of phase with each other.

Normally, the solution to this is the swap the hot and ground conductors of the most recently added pickup.

With the OCP Diamond Geezer, this will mess up the coil tapping arrangement. In low output mode, you would be left with a weedy 3 or 4k from the outer coil turns of the pickup.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    The slightly “wah” effect of the full output bridge and centre pickups is almost certainly the product of them being out of phase with each other.

Normally, the solution to this is the swap the hot and ground conductors of the most recently added pickup.

With the OCP Diamond Geezer, this will mess up the coil tapping arrangement. In low output mode, you would be left with a weedy 3 or 4k from the outer coil turns of the pickup.
    You could do it by switching the tap to ground instead of hot, or reverse the other two pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    We wind our single coil 'Fender style' pickups to the 'Seymour Duncan/old Fender' standard for winding direction and polarity. That doesn't always agree with the winding direction and polarity of other manufacturers (fender have changed direction and polarity several times) but it seems to be the prevalent way of doing things. I'd recommend every guitarist who thinks about mixing brands on a guitar gets a polarity tester ... they are dead cheap ... and they save hassle in taking stuff apart and re wiring.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Thanks guys.

Does wiring the pickups in reverse affect the sound at all?

It seems to me it wouldn't but just double checking.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Thanks guys.

Does wiring the pickups in reverse affect the sound at all?

It seems to me it wouldn't but just double checking.
    Not at all
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message