My favourite Prince performance - The Brit Awards 2006

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    Sexy, and surrounded by milf, he does tend to throw his guitar at someone behind him after the show though, Ive seen him do that before. Hes reminds me of Hendrix a little, only way more sexy and way cooler.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    that was v cool :)
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 426
    I always forget how insanely good Prince is as a guitarist. For some reason he just never springs to mind. Some of my earliest guitar memories come from listening to the Purple Rain album on tape in my parents car back in the 80s.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Good lord he was so good. Sheer effortlessness. Thanks for that.

Came across that one the other day too, if you're bored of by-the-numbers white-boy blues... ;)

"We'll get this thing straight" what a dirty fucker :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    edited June 2019
    From a purely guitar perspective - the George Harrison memorial is it.

All round genius and meastro, hard to pick just one - I saw him 3 times on the 1999 and Lovesexy tours, and again at the O2 residency (2nd row !!!) and all were amazing.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Jalapeno said:
    From a purely guitar perspective - the George Harrison memorial is it.

All round genius and meastro, hard to pick just ne - I saw him 3 times on the 1999 and Lovesexy tours, and again at the O2 residency (2nd row !!!) and all were amazing.

Where did that Tele land?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    Good lord he was so good. Sheer effortlessness. Thanks for that.

Came across that one the other day too, if you're bored of by-the-numbers white-boy blues... ;)

"We'll get this thing straight" what a dirty fucker :)
    I've got the DVD this is on (Live at the Aladdin Las Vegas), and the whole band is incredible - I'm sure a lot of the gimmicks are rehearsed, but it still seems he keeps them on their toes, James Brown-style. Some of the funkier numbers in particular... jeez! 
    "Take your cellphone out, call your next of kin, we 'bout to get funky!"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Great write up! Now I want to see it (I'm at work though). Must come back later.

I always wished that Prince would rock out and do a pure guitar album one time. Such a shame he never did. 

He was a very sad loss to us. 
    Prince Fact - Whilst everyone assumes he payed a cheapo Hohner Tele copies, they were custom Telecasters, he had a fleet of them made by Roger Sadowsky in New York.

Feedback
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:
    Prince Fact - Whilst everyone assumes he payed a cheapo Hohner Tele copies, they were custom Telecasters, he had a fleet of them made by Roger Sadowsky in New York.
    Not quite - Sadowsky made 2 Hohner clone backups, 2 prop ejaculating Teles and a few other similar but different flower models that were played on stage around 85/86.

His main Hohner is easy to identify with the large cavity cover on the back where it was routed out for a wireless system in the 80s.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14002
    edited June 2019

Yep it's the Hohner. He changed the pickups but they had white covers which were then painted over with black which you can see is wearing off.

Plenty of info about Prince's Hohner in this TDPRI post:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/princes-hohner-finally-good-clear-detailed-pictures.768749/

tFB Trader
    Yeah, you'll see me in those Hohner threads (gsh1968).
    I used to be a moderator on the now sadly defunct Housequake forum so have had the benefit of the knowledge of some very intense detective-types back in the day.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    edited June 2019
    Tamar reminds of a black Maria Carey. Which is the colour Maria Carey wishes she was.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14002
    Sassafras said:
    Tamar reminds of a black Maria Carey. Which is the colour Maria Carey wishes she was.

That's Tamar Braxton isn't it? Toni Braxton's sister.

That's not Ashley Támar Davis who was backing singer with Prince in 2006

Yeah, you'll see me in those Hohner threads (gsh1968).
    I used to be a moderator on the now sadly defunct Housequake forum so have had the benefit of the knowledge of some very intense detective-types back in the day.
    Did I dream it, or did RS do work on the Hohner as well ?

Feedback
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    What RS Guitar works in the US? Not that I've heard.
    EDIT>>I just realised you probably mean Roger Sadowsky. Duh.
    I've only heard of him making guitars fro Prince, never working on Prince's guitars.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I saw him live six times; on the '1999' tour, the 'Sign Of The Times' tour, twice on the 'Lovesexy' tour, once on the 'Diamonds & Pearls' tour - and once (thanks to my girlfriend of the time, who worked for his European distribution company) at an after show club party at Koko in Camden, I can't remember what tour that was, but I didn't go to an actual gig on that tour.

All of those gigs were some of the finest musical experiences I've ever had - and the club night was even more extraordinary than that ...but mainly because I was so blown away by seeing him in such a small venue. I kept imagining myself in the club from Purple Rain. It did my head in, actually - it was quite overwhelming.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2911
    Makes me laugh how many folks Didn’t know his extreme guitar skills.  Genuine Legend. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    That was lovely.

I reckon Prince and Jeff Beck were/have been breaking equality employment laws for decades.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

That's Tamar Braxton isn't it? Toni Braxton's sister.

That's not Ashley Támar Davis who was backing singer with Prince in 2006

Glad you put the full name there - I was watching the video assuming you were meaning the woman in the white suit with the Telecaster and was thinking you were a very odd guy but better not say anything lol