My favourite Prince performance - The Brit Awards 2006

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3663
    Loved the 'Undertaker' power trio live video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14002
    edited June 2019
    thegummy said:

That's Tamar Braxton isn't it? Toni Braxton's sister.

That's not Ashley Támar Davis who was backing singer with Prince in 2006

Glad you put the full name there - I was watching the video assuming you were meaning the woman in the white suit with the Telecaster and was thinking you were a very odd guy but better not say anything lol

That's Wendy Melvoin in the white suit, Princes 2nd guitarist from his backing band The Revolution, she played the clean opening guitar on the Purple Rain original recording.

She, err, how do you say it, "bats for the other team" so to speak.

From Wiki:

Melvoin met Prince in 1983, one night when she was practicing guitar in Lisa Coleman's room. A few days later, when guitarist Dez Dickerson didn't show up at soundcheck, Prince asked her to play his guitar; that same night, Prince invited her to join the band.[2] Melvoin's debut show with The Revolution was a benefit concert for the Minnesota Dance Theatre at the First Avenue nightclub in Minneapolis on August 3, 1983. This concert was recorded, and some of the tracks ended up in Prince's next record, most notably the title track. Melvoin was 19 at that time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 751
    She and Lisa were/ are lovers

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    From their cracking debut album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sv5juVIhfw
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    I've posted this before, but here from Prince are some top guitar stagecraft tips - 

1) 2:56 pick-scrape and fretboard slide combo
    2) 4:03 bend a note and hold with arm raised aloft
    3) 4:31 360-degree spin
    4) 4:41 put so much into the bend that you turn the guitar upside down
    5) 4:56 pluck the note with your picking hand as though playing a forehand topspin tennis shot
    6) 5:22-5:38 hold a sustained note for 15 seconds in front of the monitors and let it blossom into feedback
    7) 7:13 Use the guitar as a VU meter needle to indicate how much you are bending the note.
    8) 7:27 point the guitar at the floor between one's legs as a variant on the usual phallic symbolism
    9) 7:57 pogo the guitar up to the side of one's head and back while doing the can-can
    10) 8:10 end the song with the guitar over your shoulder!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Decided to have a wee read about Prince since I've only recently paid attention to his music.

Apparently he was against the internet as was one of the worst offenders for removing content from YouTube and trying to sue file sharers etc.

Much worse than that, he met and groomed his first wife when she was 16 and he was 31.

Eek.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    I don't think anyone will argue he wasn't weird  =)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    He was really one of a kind, one of my huge regrets is not seeing him live :(
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • misterpetemisterpete Frets: 36
    That Brits clip was excellent, I’m a lifelong Prince fan, but never seen that. The man was special, music just poured out of him, such a shame he has gone.