Frets oxidising while in case?

What's Hot
PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
Hiya,

got a weird one... I'm currently storing my SG in its case, taking it out every few days for a quick play. The case is in a room that doesn't seem particularly humid to me.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the frets were getting a bit oxidised (especially towards the body) so polished them out with steel wool as per usual maintenance. Couple of weeks later, the oxidation is back...

Never had that before, and I'd rather not polish the frets every single time I change strings (I usually do it a couple of times a year).

Have you had that issue before, and what did you do to avoid it? I'm more aware of not enough moisture in a case (so having to use humidifiers, etc) vs the opposite...

Thanks!
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited June 2019
    Do you give it a wipe after playing before you put back in the case. Ooops you say towards the dusty end. sorry just ignore.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    Does it have an old celluloid pickguard?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Nope, I assume plain old boring plastic (it's a 2013 standard)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7864
    edited June 2019
    Is it a particularly realistic Chibson?
    I'd assume case moisture.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Silica gel in the case and a good wipe down with fastfret or Xlr8.
    Is it a particularly realistic Chibson?

How dare you, sir =)
    I thought about the silica gel packet(s) but was worried of swinging too far the other way around.

Mind you we're not talking about a finely handcrafted acoustic here...
  • Weird. Nickle is very rust resistant.

If silica gel packs don't work, then air seal your case and pump all the air out. ;)
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8831
    Is it oxidation, or reacting with something else? Sulphur for example?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Very good question... This is what the frets look like at the upper end:

https://i.imgur.com/VYMSMbU.jpg

And towards the headstock (still a bit grimy but less so)

https://i.imgur.com/xmnIdDc.jpg

They were polished about 3 weeks ago.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    That’s why I was asking about the pickguard - that sort of corrosion at the body end is commonly caused by nitric acid vapour from a degrading celluloid guard.

If it’s not that, it could be moisture in the case lining possibly. Try putting a duster over the fingerboard in that area when you close the case and see if it stops.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Great shout! Will do
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    ICBM said:
    That’s why I was asking about the pickguard - that sort of corrosion at the body end is commonly caused by nitric acid vapour from a degrading celluloid guard.

If it’s not that, it could be moisture in the case lining possibly. Try putting a duster over the fingerboard in that area when you close the case and see if it stops.
    @icbm is there anything you dont know about guitars?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:

His taste in basses is inversely proportionate to his technical knowledge.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9738
    I’ve long suspected that the plush lining of a typical guitar case could hold a lot of moisture. Too much for a puny silica gel sachet to deal with. In that case, I might try gently blasting it with a hairdryer, or maybe leaving it open, outside for a few hours on a dry sunny day.
  • ICBM said:

Some of us recall that cases used to have a shroud (maybe CS still do?). I keep a cloth over the entire fretboard inside the case.

If there is moisture in the case, it wouldn't hurt to air it out. I would just leave it outside (opened up of course) on a sunny day.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    try charcoal pad you can get off ebay and a microfibre cloth for a quick wipe before playing
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Yeah, on a prs se tremonti. 

The entire fucking hardware would 'tarnish' within a week.. dunno what it was, none of the other guitars suffered it. Stored out on a rack.

Dunlop polish would sort it and bring it back to as new, but obviously wouldnt want to use that on the frets. 

Try leaving your guitar out the case for a while, if it goes away then least you'll know what causes it.  

My patch leads still do the same thing weirdly. 
    Not the actual male plug part, but the metal barrels and metal right angle bits.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2708
    ICBM said:

His taste in basses is inversely proportionate to his technical knowledge.
    Now I want to see the basses @ICBM ;
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 666
    This Mockingbird also needs some attention (not mine, I hasten to add).