Frets oxidising while in case?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    edited June 2019
    I’ve got this issue. It’s a Gibson SG that has spent most of its life in the case and look at the colour of the frets compared to a ‘normal’ guitar. They were this colour when I got it. The guitar is mint and it cannot be from play wear. I’ve barely played a chord on it in probably 6 years.

In contrast the one with the shiny frets is played nearly every day and just left uncased and leant up against what ever wall/object/settee it last gets played near.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    Blaendulais said:

@icbm is there anything you dont know about guitars?
    [Peter Sellers] It eez my job to know zeez theengs... [/Sellers]

:)

This one is actually quite well-known and can cause a lot of damage on old guitars - the vapour attacks everything, including the finish if you're unlucky. It would be surprising if Gibson are using vintage-stock celluloid for the pickguard on a modern SG though!

His taste in basses is inversely proportionate to his technical knowledge.
    Now I want to see the basses @ICBM ;
    He’s just having a bit of fun . It’s a Rickenbacker 4001...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom