Show us your siblings!

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:

I think it looks a little more like one of the newer LP studios there, the tangerine colour ones, very smart.

Proper fuming I can't put me pic up here.
    I changed all the trimmings/knobs etc. to black and loved the way it looked then I saw the new model they brought out that looks similar and I was raging they'd stolen my idea! lol

Same thing happened with Precision basses, I have one of the honey blonde 50s reissues that come with a gold pickguard but I changed it to white and loved the look. Then when the Player range came out, there's one with a similar off-white body and white pickguard.

Maybe the companies browse forums to steal people's mods!
    Lol, wouldn't surprise me if they did. That looks ace though.
    Cheers man :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    Non identical triplets. 
    https://i.imgur.com/ESU51ia.jpg
    What’s the one in the middle? Is that a production line Tele? I want one!
    Glad you like it. I stupidly sold it as I was enamoured with the Deluxe, but I’m considering building another. 

They’re all Partscasters,
    L-R:
    Oiled Ash body, maple neck, Eldred Esquire with Oil City Alligator 90, custom pickguard cut from an old 12” Springsteen Single. 
    Guitarbuild cabronita body (painted, reliced and oiled) Baja neck & Filtertron pickup
    Guitarbuild Deluxe body (stained & oiled), chunky RW neck, Blues Engine/Dirty Torque pickups- my take on a Shiflett tele. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Firebirds cosying up, there'll be another along later but the sunburst has to go

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/2fbs.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

My Fender and my boy's Crafter, which he stripped when he was 11, repainted, did the pickups, wiring, the lot. We had a job sorting out a paint mask cos he was way small for most of 'em

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/2strats.jpg

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109

buying guitars that match the carpet, good thinking
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3027
    A triptych of brown baby’s.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113

2reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:

buying guitars that match the carpet, good thinking
    I have enough trouble finding picks on my carpet without that kind of trouble! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    AlexC said:
    Non identical triplets. 
    https://i.imgur.com/ESU51ia.jpg
    What’s the one in the middle? Is that a production line Tele? I want one!
    Glad you like it. I stupidly sold it as I was enamoured with the Deluxe, but I’m considering building another. 

They’re all Partscasters,
    L-R:
    Oiled Ash body, maple neck, Eldred Esquire with Oil City Alligator 90, custom pickguard cut from an old 12” Springsteen Single. 
    Guitarbuild cabronita body (painted, reliced and oiled) Baja neck & Filtertron pickup
    Guitarbuild Deluxe body (stained & oiled), chunky RW neck, Blues Engine/Dirty Torque pickups- my take on a Shiflett tele. 
    Thanks. Have a Wow! And you’re right - you shouldn’t have sold it!
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Twins? Not quite...
    https://i.imgur.com/kBzUc5L.jpg
    To whomever my phantom loller is, please lol this one too ;) 

4reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    terada said:
    To whomever my phantom loller is, please lol this one too  

Might seem like a weird question but why would you want that many of the same guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    thegummy said:
    terada said:

Might seem like a weird question but why would you want that many of the same guitar?
    In honesty, this is the same question that many non guitarists ask about owning more than one electric/acoustic guitar full stop. The audience can rarely tell the difference.

Moreover, recently in a discussion with a close friend who is not a musician but loves music, I was told that they regarded Bowie, Queen, Neil Young and ACDC as exactly the same artists, with no difference between them to their ears. There was no artistic difference between them at all to them. I was shocked. 

Back on topic, ulnar nerve problems mean that a very specific neck profile is all I can really play regularly in order to avoid imminent surgery. Those guitars mean I can play guitar, and over time I've come to really appreciate their differences. I'm down to three now, but if I'm honest I shouldn't have got rid of one of them. They are all unique.

:)
    terada said:
    thegummy said:
    terada said:

In honesty, this is the same question that many non guitarists ask about owning more than one electric/acoustic guitar full stop. The audience can rarely tell the difference.

Moreover, recently in a discussion with a close friend who is not a musician but loves music, I was told that they regarded Bowie, Queen, Neil Young and ACDC as exactly the same artists, with no difference between them to their ears. There was no artistic difference between them at all to them. I was shocked. 

Back on topic, ulnar nerve problems mean that a very specific neck profile is all I can really play regularly in order to avoid imminent surgery. Those guitars mean I can play guitar, and over time I've come to really appreciate their differences. I'm down to three now, but if I'm honest I shouldn't have got rid of one of them. They are all unique.

Well there are levels of obscurity - some people will just love the music in its whole and not even really know what each instrument sounds like. Many others will know what an electric guitar sounds like but not be able to tell between the different types.

I'd think a lot of people who are deeply in to music will hear that, say, a Strat does sound quite different to a Les Paul for example, maybe they wouldn't know which was which.

When it gets to different types of the same pickup (e.g.different single coil strat ones) that's an even smaller niche and the differences are quite subtle even to the guitar geek playing them, never mind an audience.

But having loads of guitars that are the same model - is there any discernible difference really between them?

Or is it not even about tonal options for a sound pallette and you just like to be able to change each time?

Appreciate you replying and glad you didn't take the question the wrong way. I think I'm just so much in the mindset of buying multiple guitars for the sole reason of having another tone to choose from.

I kind of go through phases of sometimes embracing that my guitars all feel different and might inspire me differently, then sometimes wishing they would all feel exactly the same while just being able to change sounds (like the world of MIDI keyboards where you play a single master keyboard that controls various different synths for sound options). A number of times I've came up with the idea of getting another Strat with the same specs as my current one but installing humbuckers on it but then always decide against it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    A couple of 2008 "thin skin" '62 AVRIs. I bought the Jazzmaster brand new right at the tail end of 2008. The Jaguar came later. I'd been given some money for my 50th birthday and had wanted a Jag for some time. It took maybe a month of searching but a random thread on here pointed me in the direction of someone fairly local who was selling a thin skin Jag in the exact same colour as my Jazzmaster. It's hard enough to find a thin skin in the UK, and considering how few were made in each colour (I read somewhere that it was just 25), finding one in a matching colour was an absolute fluke.

Jazzmasters. The red one is a '94/'95 CIJ and the white one is an '86 MIJ (with Mojo pickups).

Then there's the Rickenbackers. The 330/6 is from 1990, the 4001 from 1973 and the 330/12 from 1989.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    A couple of 2008 "thin skin" '62 AVRIs. I bought the Jazzmaster brand new right at the tail end of 2008. The Jaguar came later. I'd been given some money for my 50th birthday and had wanted a Jag for some time. It took maybe a month of searching but a random thread on here pointed me in the direction of someone fairly local who was selling a thin skin Jag in the exact same colour as my Jazzmaster. It's hard enough to find a thin skin in the UK, and considering how few were made in each colour (I read somewhere that it was just 25), finding one in a matching colour was an absolute fluke.

Very cool!!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    thegummy said:
    terada said:
    thegummy said:
    terada said:

Well there are levels of obscurity - some people will just love the music in its whole and not even really know what each instrument sounds like. Many others will know what an electric guitar sounds like but not be able to tell between the different types.

I'd think a lot of people who are deeply in to music will hear that, say, a Strat does sound quite different to a Les Paul for example, maybe they wouldn't know which was which.

When it gets to different types of the same pickup (e.g.different single coil strat ones) that's an even smaller niche and the differences are quite subtle even to the guitar geek playing them, never mind an audience.

But having loads of guitars that are the same model - is there any discernible difference really between them?

Or is it not even about tonal options for a sound pallette and you just like to be able to change each time?

Appreciate you replying and glad you didn't take the question the wrong way. I think I'm just so much in the mindset of buying multiple guitars for the sole reason of having another tone to choose from.

I kind of go through phases of sometimes embracing that my guitars all feel different and might inspire me differently, then sometimes wishing they would all feel exactly the same while just being able to change sounds (like the world of MIDI keyboards where you play a single master keyboard that controls various different synths for sound options). A number of times I've came up with the idea of getting another Strat with the same specs as my current one but installing humbuckers on it but then always decide against it.
    Personally speaking I've owned multiples of the same type of guitar in the past, they had different pickups and pots but the outcome was always the same. I picked up the best one every time.
    I've since sold the other 2 

I cant imagine owning 5 that are pretty much the same guitar and the same colour. Medical condition or not, if you have the money for 5 R model gibsons you can get something else with a custom neck profile to match those les Pauls. My opinion of course
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom