Using a trem for the first time

What's Hot
VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
Yeah...I know. But I have a strat I've recently fixed up (it was my first guitar, and all those Blink 182 covers both took a toll AND meant the whammy never came out of the gig bag), and I'd like to learn the very basics of using the bar without going OTT like a dickhead. What are some great, tasteful trem songs to learn and learn from? Sorry if this should be under 'Techniques' instead.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited June 2019

The guitar on Chris Isaak's 'Wicked Game' played by James Calvin Wilsey is nice trem work on a Strat through a fender Deluxe. The record is a comp of several pieces played by Wilsey edited together but can be played as one easily.

I have read that he died age 61, in December 2018, which I wasn't aware of, due to organ failure caused by prolonged drug use. Apparently he played in a band called The Avengers who supported the Sex Pistols at the San Francisco Winterland Ballroom final gig (before the reformed) in 1978.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Anything pink floyd?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    But the best thing about having a trem is going OTT like a dickhead, you've missed the point.
    :)

Try Eruption for starters...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    And side 2 of Passion and Warfare
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope you get productive with the trem. Me? I have a drawer full of whammy bars...
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    Don’t learn, the whole point of a trem is to express your own individuality surely. Grab it and give it a wiggle as the mood takes you. 
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Christ it sounds cool! Is this how people get hung up on tone and not writing anything? I can totally imagine falling into that hole. Forgot how much I love the Catalinbread Topanga too, everything sounds like I'm on a deserted beach.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14569
    Gentle wiggling into cavernous faux spring reverb will evoke Surf guitar. 

If you attempt to use the vibrato for pitch raising or lowering stunts, aim to arrive at a recognisable note. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Watch some newish Jeff Beck videos for killer bar work. I remember being stunned when I found out he hadn't used a slide on Blaze of Glory.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4580
    Hank Marvin
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    This is a really good lesson from Plini on using the trem creatively rather than just for show:
    https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/using-your-vibrato-bar-creatively-and-tastefully
    Tim
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Hank Marvin
    This. Great starting point.
    Then Jeff Beck

in the less famous category
    Michael Lee Firkins early stuff
    Michael Caswell
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3404
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    Alan Murphy was my biggest influence in using the vib. bar. Sadly there's no live footage of SFX that I'm aware of, but see 2.18 and 4.11 in the Go West clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E_BRGvgtFY

It's not a competition.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Hank Marvin
    This. Great starting point.
    Then Jeff Beck

in the less famous category
    Michael Lee Firkins early stuff
    Michael Caswell
    Michael Lee Firkins, great shout - that first album. 
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    If you can find the footage of him playing when the levee breaks with a trem, that was worth a watch
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    edited June 2019
    As above, anything by The Shadows!
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    timmypix said:
    This is a really good lesson from Plini on using the trem creatively rather than just for show:
    https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/using-your-vibrato-bar-creatively-and-tastefully
    Really enjoyed this one.  Thanks man
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    edited June 2019
    A big +1 for Alan Murphy, Holdsworth technique with pop sensibilities, awesome player and like Holdsworth sadly missed