Using a trem for the first time

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Here's a thing: The most typical application of the trem arm is for added vibrato on every phrase end, DON'T DO IT!!  - especially when you have a Delay pedal or Tremolo set on your amp at same time!! So many Guitar Demos do this - STOP IT!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Here's a thing: The most typical application of the trem arm is for added vibrato on every phrase end, DON'T DO IT!!  - especially when you have a Delay pedal or Tremolo set on your amp at same time!! So many Guitar Demos do this - STOP IT!
    It’s fun getting polyrhythms going with trem and vibrato though :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2301
    As I play covers, I tend to use the whammy bar where it was used on the original song. However 3/4 of my guitars don't have whammies, and if I happen to be playing one of them when a whammy moment comes up, it's either finger vibrato or nothing.

It pays to think about context - a Shadows number requires controlled vibrato use, not dive-bombing; if you're playing Alright Now and you want to sound authentic (yeah, yeah, I know), leave the arm well alone.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    This. Great starting point.
    Then Jeff Beck

in the less famous category
    Michael Lee Firkins early stuff
    Michael Caswell
    Michael Lee Firkins, great shout - that first album. 

I've pounded the Wisdom icon into smithereens. Love me some MiLF! :) I liked him better when he still wanged with the wanger rather than sliding with an actual slide.

Allow me to add Scott Henderson to the list for Fender vibrato bar stuff, and Reb Beach, Dann Huff and Brad Gillis for more extreme wanging of the wang bar that is still tasty more often than not. 

To this illustrious company I will also add (and summon) our very own @Barney

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/153105/my-bestest-jeff-beck-impersonation/p1

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DLM said:
    Then Jeff Beck

Michael Caswell

I've pounded the Wisdom icon into smithereens. Love me some MiLF! :) I liked him better when he still wanged with the wanger rather than sliding with an actual slide.

Allow me to add Scott Henderson to the list for Fender vibrato bar stuff, and Reb Beach, Dann Huff and Brad Gillis for more extreme wanging of the wang bar that is still tasty more often than not. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/153105/my-bestest-jeff-beck-impersonation/p1

You're not the first to have pounded something to smithereens over milf
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    This is absolutely not what you want, but if you’re talking about the trem bar *at all* this solo must be posted. 2:30ish to 3:00 is subtle trem. Anything after around 3:00 is godlike and shows the absolute peak of what can be achieved by mechanically moving the bridge of an electric guitar while you’re playing it, IMO. 
    https://youtu.be/Q48WYB9bbaQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    edited June 2019
    DLM said:
    Then Jeff Beck

Michael Caswell

I've pounded the Wisdom icon into smithereens. Love me some MiLF! I liked him better when he still wanged with the wanger rather than sliding with an actual slide.

Thanks man....some good company above ..I am not worthy :)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I’d add Reeves Gabrels and David Torn to thelist of interesting trem users.
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    JDE said:
    This is absolutely not what you want, but if you’re talking about the trem bar *at all* this solo must be posted. 2:30ish to 3:00 is subtle trem. Anything after around 3:00 is godlike and shows the absolute peak of what can be achieved by mechanically moving the bridge of an electric guitar while you’re playing it, IMO. 
    https://youtu.be/Q48WYB9bbaQ
    Yes! And here’s an example of not using the trem but sounding like you are - gravity storm:

https://youtu.be/rMH_30_Cp60

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've had my trem set up for a few weeks after managing to get the tuning stable (thanks to those who advised me) but last night I ended up taking the arm out cause I never found a way to use it that didn't just sound cheesy or cliche.