Battered, but plays well (Vintage Strat Content).

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
edited June 2019 in Guitar

Someone I know has pulled this from a very long sleep in a wardrobe.

It's pretty battered, as you can see...plays really well though, despite being in dire need of a refret.

They've owned it for 30-odd years, but it's spent a long time tucked away.

When purchased, it was some non-original colour, which they stripped. At least they didn't add a Floyd or Humbuckers...

They reckon that the splits in the body have been that way for ages.

When I saw it, I didn't have time to whip the neck off and take a look in the pocket, etc.

No S-prefix serial on the headstock, so before, what? '76-ish?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7131

No S-prefix on the headstock, 

Fender Tratocaster?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18964
    ^  You having the fixed price mexican menu or a la carte USA sir? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    It’s like that classic Japanese movie - “One of our knobs is missing”
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

Someone I know has pulled this from a very long sleep in a wardrobe.

It's pretty battered, as you can see...plays really well though, despite being in dire need of a refret.

They've owned it for 30-odd years, but it's spent a long time tucked away.

When purchased, it was some non-original colour, which they stripped. At least they didn't add a Floyd or Humbuckers...

They reckon that the splits in the body have been that way for ages.

When I saw it, I didn't have time to whip the neck off and take a look in the pocket, etc.

Yes - depending whether the pickups and plates are original it looks like a 75.   
    Hard to tell in the pics but staggered pike pieces would be 73/74 and flat pole pieces 75 on and black pickguards cane in around 75.   
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    John_P said:

staggered pike pieces 
    Don’t tell him, Harry...
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    A nice wardrobe find Harry!

I love the '70's natural look even though it has been stripped.

Re the stripping, perhaps somebody dropped the body in an acid bath (very common for pine doors in the '70's) or used some harsh chemicals that affected the glue and caused the body joints to come apart? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574

But no number on the neckplate either, so it's a put-together. You'll need to take it apart to see if there are any dates anywhere, but the best you can say at the moment is that the neck is pre-'77 and the neckplate is later.

Bridge is non-original, and obviously either the pickguard or the pickup covers aren't... or both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7160
    edited June 2019
    I remember laughing in the '80s at these '70s Fender guitars and making jokes about "How one day people would consider them vintage and collectable".

Should have bought more of them at £200 a pop and stuck them in my wardrobe!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    I remember laughing in the '80s at these '70s Fender guitars and making jokes about "How one day people would consider them vintage and collectable".
    You have more foresight than I did if you even thought of it as a possibility!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    My mate’s 1976/77 Stratocaster has the serial number on the headstock. The 76 prefix is part of the decal. The other digits are applied before the later clear coat is sprayed.

For 1975, the serial number ought to be stamped into the neck anchor plate, between the two screws.

The bridge saddles are not original but you probably already knew that.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    My mate’s 1976/77 Stratocaster has the serial number on the headstock. The 76 prefix is part of the decal. The other digits are applied before the later clear coat is sprayed.

For 1975, the serial number ought to be stamped into the neck anchor plate, between the two screws.

Yup, it’s a bit of a dog’s dinner.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    Possibly, the halves of two different dinners, fastened together?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14355
    tFB Trader

agree - just looking at same pics + info ref serial numbers

Any date info on the neck pocket, possibly the pick-ups if any, + butt end of the neck will be useful
  • Regardless of abuse/damage, it looks terrific
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm going to pop back next week with screwdrivers. ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The whole bridge is not, unless the body is a lot earlier, since it has three bolts holding the plate to the block. Mid-late 70s Fenders have a single-piece alloy casting - which is notorious for the arm thread stripping or seizing, so often replaced.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    edited June 2019
    Without having it in hand to properly assess, I'd suggest a fret dress rather than a refret. Those maple fingerboards can splinter and delaminate the finish if the refret is not done by a very competent luthier.

Does it still have the three way switch? The body contour suggests 70s and the neck socket (from the photos), suggests it's not the second half of the 70s where they got a bit ...erm...loose.

Edit.
    I can't believe anyone hasn't asked how much it weighs?

Weight-wise, it's actually OK...

Switch is 5-way.

• NPPNPP Frets: 236

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14355
    tFB Trader
    You can make some of these projects into a good players grade Strat and at sensible prices and end up with a decent player and plenty of mojo/character - especially once you get any date info of the body/neck