Crackling vol/tone controls

Both the volume and tone controls on my guitar have started crackling (when rotated) and I was hoping that someone might be able to offer a suggestion for the most likely source of the problem. 

This is a recent development; they both function fine besides this and it doesn't seem to momentarily 'cut out' completely.  I have next to no experience in this area of maintenance but I'm guessing that either the shafts on the pots or some soldering which has seen better days are possible candidates?

This is how the cavity looks:

https://imgur.com/a/aXvKstn 

It's a Wolfgang with a pair of humbuckers, one volume and one tone control 

https://imgur.com/a/VgTfE1x 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited June 2019
    Get some Servisol Switch/Contact cleaner spray and spray it into the opening on the side of the potentiometer next to where the logs are soldered to the wires., then give the pots a twist.

Usually crackling pots are just dirt and debris, plus static making them noisy.

This stuff will clean them and not damage the lubricated contacts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-10-switch-cleaning-lubricant/dp/B001DQ1FHM

DO NOT USE WD40 FOR THIS JOB.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375
    What are you plugging it into? A DC leak from the first preamp valve in the amp is a common cause of this if the guitar is connected directly to the amp, or via mechanically-switched pedals that are all off. The simple way to test for it is to use a pedal that's turned on in between them. If the crackle stops, it's the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited June 2019

Thanks both.

@stonevibe I've ordered up a can of the contact cleaner you've suggested and hopefully that will do the trick. It will be handy to have around anyhow. Lucky you mentioned WD40 being off limits as I have some of that knocking about somewhere. I'm leaning towards this or something like it being the answer to be honest. Other than when I adjust either of the controls all is well.

@ICBM

>>> "What are you plugging it into? "

It's one of those Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister mini stack jobs. Admittedly I haven't tried it in anything else (I have a Vox which tends to be more sensitive) but I didn't manage to reproduce it with either of my other guitars/cables. I'll revisit this and drop a pedal in between too. I only have the less fashionable buffered Boss ones but I'm guessing that won't matter?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72375

I'll revisit this and drop a pedal in between too. I only have the less fashionable buffered Boss ones but I'm guessing that won't matter?
    The less fashionable buffered ones are the best for this test.

And for everything else :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    If you spray cleaner into the pots just use a tiny tiny amount, dont flood them out. Some pots have a thick grease in them to give the switch a nice solid feel when you turn it, if you wash it out they feel all loose. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.