Gibson R8/9?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14362
    tFB Trader
    Logie said:
    Just to add, I'm not looking for it as an investment but I'd like to get most of my money back if and when I sold it :)
    None of these guitars are investments. If you want to get your money back if you sell it the only way is to wait for a model priced at the lower end and to try and grab as best a bargain as possible. 
    I see where you are coming from - But the best buy is the one that you keep for many many years and thoroughly enjoy playing - The worse buy is the one you are going to sell next month as you have not bonded with it, or indeed find a better example

Granted and thankfully most of the guitar industry is financed by GAS and the perpetual hunt for the be all and end all guitar that suddenly transforms us into something special

Yet equally a used R9, or similar, should not offer to much depreciation in the short term - Long term and prices have slowly risen over the past 10-20 years
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4196
    Not investments ? If you bought the blow out R8 R9’s last year then you can sell for the price paid unless buyers are a little cute about it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    sweepy said:
    Not investments ? If you bought the blow out R8 R9’s last year then you can sell for the price paid unless buyers are a little cute about it 
    I think those 2017's have held their price too. I see a few on ebay with higher asking prices, but they probably aren't selling at a profit, yet.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4196
    I think on principle I wouldn’t pay more than £2k for a 2017 R8, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 444
    I've been looking and the cheapest I've seen an R8 with the slightest bit of flame is 2.3k so I'm stealing myself for that to be the minimum. I didn't mean to suggest I wanted, or expected, to make a profit on it. I just wanted to avoid losing a shitload of money if I try, buy and eventually concede I couldn't justify the extra expense over a good Standard. I'm a tightarse.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    sweepy said:
    I think on principle I wouldn’t pay more than £2k for a 2017 R8, 
    In two years time, they will be the same price as all other R8s - maybe a bit more than the older ones as they have the 59 neck profile.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    I'm going to be contentious and say the R8 2017 necks are not similar to R9.

I had a 2016 R9 and 2017 R8 - the R8 neck felt slightly thicker and more of a U shape imo. 

Guessing there is variance/ tolerance but just my thoughts. Oh and the R9 just felt and played better. 
    I agree with this to some extent - the R8s seemed to have a bit more shoulder. Both nice neck profiles, though, and the R8 necks are definitely slimmer in 2017 than in previous years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Totally agree - the 2017 R8 are way slimmer necks than the other R8 years. 

And Brize is bang on with the comment on the shoulder. 

To add some context on price I sold my 2017 R8 for 2200 cash, three weeks ago.
    There are loads around, meaning choice, supply and demand and people are trying to get more than original retail on ebay, which I find odd. The majority of people know what they were sold for last year. 

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    Totally agree - the 2017 R8 are way slimmer necks than the other R8 years. 

There are loads around, meaning choice, supply and demand and people are trying to get more than original retail on ebay, which I find odd. The majority of people know what they were sold for last year. 

I have a 2017 R8 that I bought before the blow-out. :(
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • david1050david1050 Frets: 2
    Brize said:

I have also 2017 Audi R8.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    david1050 said:
    Brize said:

I have also 2017 Audi R8.
    why dont audi do an R9 ffs

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited June 2019
    Audi R9 is just an R8 with a stripy paint job.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Also maybe a bit lighter and with a thinner steering wheel
  • LogieLogie Frets: 444
    Just had a go on a 60th Anniversary '59! A mate of mine walked into Guitar Guitar in Birmingham and paid £5200 on a take away now, pay in 12 mths deal. On impulse! Maad. I've got a couple of pics and if I can get onto Imgur I'll post them.
    Lovely VOS Royal Teaburst top and the neck carve feels very similar to the 59 rounded I like. There may be subtle differences but I couldn't tell. The flame is nice but I've had a few Standards that were better. I think he said it weighed about 8.5 lbs and it certainly felt like it. The setup is exactly how I'd expect of a guitar costing that much. Perfect all the way up the neck. The fretboard was a bit light in colour for my taste but nothing a little lemon oil wouldn't fix and it is a brand spanker. The odd thing is, to play it felt very similar to my old 2005 Standard Faded which, when you consider I picked that up for a £1000 a couple of years ago, makes me want to buy that bugger again. The main difference as far as fit and finish was the treatment of the fret edge binding. Perfectly cut, none of those little nicks and flat spots you sometimes get on Standards which makes it look like they've attacked it with a scalpel. There was also a lot less of the binding over the fret edges and a very neat job. I never got to play it through his amp as he's practising tonight so I can't say how it sounds. However.... I don't think I could even pay a used price of £3500 which is still 3 times the price of a bloody good Standard. It was a lovely thing but when I opened the case it wasn't like a Holy Grail moment. It was just a lovely guitar and although you can easily see the extra work gone into it, I know now I definitely don't need that level of authenticity to enjoy playing a Gibson. I'll be happy with a good Standard. I must have the chav gene :)