Metallica for Glasto

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308
    Bonus for Kirk.He can play as crap as he likes and no one will know because hippies don't like Metallica ;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Wife is going to be proper vexed. It's her first year and she doesn't like Metallica. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    joneve said:
    Wife is going to be proper vexed. It's her first year and she doesn't like Metallica. 
    I have only been once but there is so much going on you just create your own festival, the Headliners are just what make it onto the tv.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I'm pretty sure they have other bands @joneve ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    joneve said:
    Just have to make do with the 17 other stages !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5535
    Metallica and Dolly Parton.

That's got to be better than Metallica and Lou Reed.
    Or Metallica and Lang Lang. 
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Jalapeno said:
    joneve said:

I've only been once. Beyonce was headlining the final night. Fortunately so were QOTSA on The Other Stage.
    Yep, we were there too that year, we watched Imelda May and then The Kaiser Chiefs

Feedback
    If you just stick to the Pyramid stage you miss a lot - record that while you're away

Feedback
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 264
    imalone said:
    Jalapeno said:
    joneve said:

I've only been once. Beyonce was headlining the final night. Fortunately so were QOTSA on The Other Stage.
    Me and the girl I used to do an acoustic duo with had a daily set in the hospitality area at Glastonbury that year and the year before that. My tent leaked and was also right next to a dance tent that went on til 3am every night. I went home early on the Sunday because I needed sleep, which was a shame because I missed QOTSA (although to be fair, for me the line up that year was horrendous, the year before was much better for me - Coheed and Cambria, Slash ft Myles Kennedy, Muse, pre-bad times Rolf...)

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited May 2014
    Bonus for Kirk.He can play as crap as he likes and no one will know because hippies don't like Metallica ;)
    Hippies at Glastonbury...hardly any these days. It's over-run teenagers hah ;-)

We're going. Missed going last year cus we got married. It was the only one we've missed in a 13 year straight run although my first one was 1992.  I've been 17 times in total. 
    I've been at some of the high and low points of the festival. High being Jeff Buckley, Pulp (when they filled in for Stone Roses) - Low, the year that nobody paid and it was over-run by scallies and people got beaten and robbed, the really bad flood year wasn't fun.

Love Glastonbury.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Metallica playing Glastonbury is almost like Oasis playing Download.

Wrong band for the wrong crowd.

IMO

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:

IMO

I don't see it like that - Download is a metal festival, Glastonbury is a music festival, all genres.

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I thought they were shit when they headlined Reading - one of only two headliners I've ever walked away from, the other being arctic monkeys. And I'm not close minded, for example I dislike Iron Maiden a lot but still saw out their whole set.

I like the quote I got from somewhere about Kirk; "It's like he's slowly unlearning the guitar".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2014
    The BBC coverage will be awful (I predict). We'll have Fern Cotton or whoever that c**k is that does the R1 breakfast show fawning all over them, then they'll show the same two song footage again and again (Nothing Else Matters and Sandman obviously).
    mike_l said:

IMO

I don't see it like that - Download is a metal festival, Glastonbury is a music festival, all genres.
    Very, very little metal/ heavy rock in the Glasto history as I recall it - the news release on this certainly says first heavy metal band to headline. The festival does pop, blues, reggae, folk, jazz, novelty ( ie Rolf, Tom Jones,etc) and loads of stuff but heavy rock and metal have always been catered for elsewhere.

I think a non metal audience will find them incredibly dull and whoever is playing at the same time can expect big crowds!
    mike_l said:

IMO

Very, very little metal/ heavy rock in the Glasto history as I recall it - the news release on this certainly says first heavy metal band to headline. The festival does pop, blues, reggae, folk, jazz, novelty ( ie Rolf, Tom Jones,etc) and loads of stuff but heavy rock and metal have always been catered for elsewhere.

I think a non metal audience will find them incredibly dull and whoever is playing at the same time can expect big crowds!
    2010 had Slash on the Sunday afternoon, Coheed and Cambria on the Friday (I was at the front for both). Granted, neither were headlining (and the crowd for C&C wasn't huge), but I can't see why you can't have a mix.

mike_l said:

IMO

2010 had Slash on the Sunday afternoon, Coheed and Cambria on the Friday (I was at the front for both). Granted, neither were headlining (and the crowd for C&C wasn't huge), but I can't see why you can't have a mix.
    Well, I think Slash has a wider cross over appeal than Metallica. No, I don't see why you can't have a mix although the tv coverage tends to make it seem like a big Indie + ageing popstars fest whereas there is clearly more going on. But Heavy Metal/ Rock has had its own festivals and not needed Glasto and I do think non fans will find Metallica really dull quite quickly.

How many Metallica songs would a non metal fan recognise? I think Oasis( as a random example) are a bit shit but they have had hits and I would recognise most of their set so I might stick around. If I went to Glasto with MrsTheWeary she would be tugging at my sleeve to go elsewhere after ten minutes of Metallica. She patiently sat through Black Sabbath with me last year and was suprised how many she knew. I just don't think Metallica have that wider reach.*

Actually, Sabbath would have been a genius headliner.
    \m/

*IMHO of course
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5535
    edited May 2014
    Radcliffe & Maconie have just been discussing this (and ribbing Lars which is always fun) on 6Music and then played...

Holier Than Thou!

Good on them for not going down the obvious route.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    From some of the reaction here you'd think Metallica were an extreme metal band.  They are now a mainstream band.

They're one of the best selling artists ever.

They got alot of time on MTV, and have done for decades.

Harvester or Sorrow, One, Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, Sad but True, Until it Sleeps, Hero of the Day, Mama Said, The Memory Remains, The Unforgiven II, St Anger, Frantic and The Day That Never Comes all got into the UK Singles Top 20.

Their last six studio albums (Going back to 1988) charted in the UK Top 5, two at Number 1.

Consider also their song on the Mission Impossible II soundtrack, loads of their songs being used in wrestling, and other TV. They've been in an episode of the Simpsons.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom