Metallica for Glasto

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5534
    They're only using AxeFX live now, is that right? No amps?
    It'll be interesting to hear how good/bad that sounds tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited June 2014
    I think the fact you have to buy a ticket before the lineup is announced really says it all. The people I know who religiously go to Glastonbury don't actually give a flying fuck about the music. It more about "the atmosphere".
    It says it all, but not the way you're suggesting. There will be bands on you like at any given moment. I've been once, 2011, and struggled to see all the bands I wanted too, and I worked quite hard at seeing bands (even in good weather dashing between stages is optimistic). Even early morning you think surely there's nothing, but hey, Flipron are on the avalon stage if you can get out there...
    Looks like today Goldfrapp were on West Holts mid afternoon. Really, who would miss that? Possibly the dance music crowd who've been up to some silly hour of the morning. It's a real festival, it's not a headliner gig with big-name support the way most music festivals are.
    I look at the London festivals, which are all handily at weekends and sell one day tickets, any of which I could go to easily, and struggle to see anyone I care about (except the Somerset House gigs, which sell out fast too). Glastonbury don't need to tell you what the line-up is, it covers so much there will be someone you want to hear at any given moment if you're into music. Want to see a bunch of guys doing tuvan throat singing without treking to the remotest bit of central asia? You're not getting that at sonisphere.
    And besides all that, they bill themselves as a performing arts festival, so that bit about the atmosphere is half the point.
    Lastly, it was Glastonbury that thrust Pulp into the limelight, so its work is pretty much done.
    Metallica, it wont be a disaster, I'll bet there are a tonne of Enter Sandman fans there, but I doubt it'll go down as one of the greats, they're not of the moment the way JayZ or Beyonce were or all-time legends like the Stones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Not knowing the lineup is fine if you really, really give a flying fuck about all music. ;)

I saw a couple of comments on Facebook last night from members of the Download tribe who are bitter about the Glastonbury normos appropriating their culture. Here's one:

Yep that's it. I'm finally done with Metallica. It's a shame. It really is a sad day for metal to see them finally meet their end with a terrible performance at a place they don't belong 
    "Our home is at Glastonbury" way to show respect for all those metal festival goers that put you on that stage James
    Flipron are a splendid way to start any festival, though twice at Glastonbury the first musical act I've seen were Hobo Jones & The Junkyard Dogs at the Avalon stage. Both times yer-man-there cried, and we left filled with a love for music and humanity that set the tone for the weekend.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    There's a reason metal fans live in a ghetto :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    In short, if you're bothered about the tickets-before-lineup thing, I'd say it almost certainly means you haven't been yet. ^_^
    Watching the coverage with the gang, our favourite thing so far has been MIA, though Arcade Fire put on a fantastic show, Goldfrapp was wonderful as always, and watching the crowd have THE BEST time to "You Could Easily Have Me" in Metronomy's encore is well worth finding. 

Also, check out Royal Blood - the guy's playing a bass through a POG or a Whammy or something - it sounds like 2 octaves up, and maybe 2 octaves plus a 5th too. The fundamental bass note plus a distorted guitar double of the same note out in front. Just the reverse of the same thing that guitarists have been doing for years, but it sounds HUGE. A thousand guitarists saw that and thought "why didn't I think of that??". I can't wait to try it. It'll go something like this:

Bass > SHO with two outputs >

1. > Bass amp
    2. > POG or something > dirt pedals > guitar amp

Eeeeeee!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    EdGrip said:
    Not knowing the lineup is fine if you really, really give a flying fuck about all music. ;)

I saw a couple of comments on Facebook last night from members of the Download tribe who are bitter about the Glastonbury normos appropriating their culture. Here's one:

Yep that's it. I'm finally done with Metallica. It's a shame. It really is a sad day for metal to see them finally meet their end with a terrible performance at a place they don't belong 
    "Our home is at Glastonbury" way to show respect for all those metal festival goers that put you on that stage James
    That's a pretty disappointing reaction. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited June 2014
    PolarityMan said: That's a pretty disappointing reaction. 

Yes.

It's reminiscent of the narrow-mided reaction from the metal fraternity to "Load" - "This is a poor album because ... err ... [clearly not the songs, which are amongst the best the band have ever done] ... because they've cut their hair."

Boys and their metal :))

"I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    EdGrip said:

Also, check out Royal Blood - the guy's playing a bass through a POG or a Whammy or something - it sounds like 2 octaves up, and maybe 2 octaves plus a 5th too. The fundamental bass note plus a distorted guitar double of the same note out in front. Just the reverse of the same thing that guitarists have been doing for years, but it sounds HUGE. A thousand guitarists saw that and thought "why didn't I think of that??".

Because if it catches on the bassists will take over!
    6Music have been playing them for a few months now, good to see their set was packed out.