No more Baja telecasters

What's Hot
riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
Well, I was a bit surprised to learn that apparently Fender are discontinuing the Baja, with a replacement to be announced at NAMM in a couple of weeks. 
I've owned one of the 50s (liked the neck carve but not keen on the gloss of most maple boards) and one of the 60s, and thought they were both great guitars.
This info gleaned from the telecaster forum but seems like it's legitimate as it sounds like it came from Fender.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what the replacements might be like and whether there will be a chunky necked rosewood option.
I had a Classic Player 60s strat for a while too, was really nice, wonder if they'll also be getting the refresh/replace treatment?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    I've been trying to stop myself going for the pink baja that's bobbing about on a few sites, this thread won't help.

Also thought the other Vintera thread was about the classic players replacement.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5865
    I heard it's this:

The new Fender Bwahaha

Full front R9 Les Pauljpg

Nice, but looks familiar :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    tony99 said:
    I've been trying to stop myself going for the pink baja that's bobbing about on a few sites, this thread won't help.

Also thought the other Vintera thread was about the classic players replacement.
    Ah, sorry, missed that thread before I posted.
    tony99 said:

Ah, sorry, missed that thread before I posted.
    No need to apologise, actually yes you should as I'm probably gona be best part of £800 lighter soon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Given that they’re better than a genuine 50s Broadcaster and anything ever made by the Custom Shop ever, this comes as no surprise....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    tony99 said:

I really had to fight the urge to buy a pink baja but ultimately it was finding out the neck is chunky, more than sanity or responsibility, that stopped me.

Still admire the look of it every time it comes up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    tony99 said:

I really had to fight the urge to buy a pink baja but ultimately it was finding out the neck is chunky, more than sanity or responsibility, that stopped me.

Still admire the look of it every time it comes up.
    I'm gonna try one if there's any close to me. But don't know if the discontinuation might mean price drops soon. We'll see.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Given that they’re better than a genuine 50s Broadcaster and anything ever made by the Custom Shop ever, this comes as no surprise....
    I'm looking forward to owning a collector's item  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    I found the Baja to be the opposite of the other very talked about tele. 

I was sure I’d love it, it sounded everything I’d want but when I got to play one, it didn’t talk to me at all. 

I’d still like to check out the pink one though and be made to think differently 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    I liked the Baja but could never find a lighter one. Owned one for a while that was around 9lbs but it was too much for a Tele and had to move it on. I know they exist, but I guess they get hoarded because a Baja that was around 7-8lbs would be a spec monster...
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2019
    Whitecat said:
    I liked the Baja but could never find a lighter one. Owned one for a while that was around 9lbs but it was too much for a Tele and had to move it on. I know they exist, but I guess they get hoarded because a Baja that was around 7-8lbs would be a spec monster...
    I've got one, it's a limited edition white blonde model with a maple neck.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12416
    dazzajl said:

I was sure I’d love it, it sounded everything I’d want but when I got to play one, it didn’t talk to me at all. 

I’d still like to check out the pink one though and be made to think differently 
    Yep me too tried a few. Really meh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    Freebird said:
    Whitecat said:
    I've got one, it's a limited edition white blonde model with a maple neck.
    Treasure it!!!
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    munckee said:
    dazzajl said:

Ditto, nut width unnecessarily tight (around 41mm)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18967
    munckee said:
    dazzajl said:

Double ditto.  Fender Lite Ash (Korean) utterly blew it away in every aspect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    munckee said:
    dazzajl said:

Now that’s a tele I’ve always wanted to try 
  • elkayelkay Frets: 78
    I recently bought one very cheaply (7½ lbs), and it was fairly awful. However, the setup was very poor, so I put on a new set of strings, set it up the way I liked it, and raised/balanced the pickups quite drastically (they were way too low), and suddenly the guitar came to life with truly extraordinay resonance. Now chuffed to bits with it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18967
    elkay said:
    I recently bought one very cheaply (7½ lbs), and it was fairly awful. However, the setup was very poor, so I put on a new set of strings, set it up the way I liked it, and raised/balanced the pickups quite drastically (they were way too low), and suddenly the guitar came to life with truly extraordinay resonance. Now chuffed to bits with it.
    7½ lbs? Bugger, that's cheap.  ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elkayelkay Frets: 78
    elkay said:
    7½ lbs? Bugger, that's cheap.  ;) 
    That's not half bad for a guitar that weighs £350! :3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3672
    munckee said:
    dazzajl said:

vive la différence

I've owned both (not at the same time) and have kept the Baja