No more Baja telecasters

What's Hot

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've tried a couple of Baja Tel casters and thought they were okay. nice looks and decent sound. Wasn't fussed on necks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1026
    Freebird said:
    Given that they’re better than a genuine 50s Broadcaster and anything ever made by the Custom Shop ever, this comes as no surprise....
    I'm looking forward to owning a collector's item  ;)

Too right, because there can't be many of them about... ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I owned a Baja for a couple of years but never bonded with it. I didn’t like the over complicated electronics and it weighed a ton. Sold it on eBay.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i've got one, sanded down neck and fretboard, just over 7lbs, nicer than the CS Tele I had

• DanDan Frets: 441
    edited June 2019
    I recently got one from a seller on gumtree. Made in 2017 and paid £500 which is pretty much the going rate from what ive seen.

Its absolutely superb. Spot on weight at 7 1/2 pounds and the neck is a great, similar to 10/56 or R9 type of size. Very comfortable.

Holds up really well against my CS 52 tele. Really pleased with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3993
    They’re going to be replaced by something in this new Vintera range then I guess.

I had a Baja and liked it, I think I just prefer a 3-way on a Tele though.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7072
    tFB Trader
    A few years ago I retrofitted a lot of 4-way switches, nowadays I mostly take them out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    tried 3 different bajas at different times thinking "maybe i just had a bad one",all sounded meh..over complicated switching ,my 100% stock classic vibe custom blew all 3 of them away .
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    A few years ago I retrofitted a lot of 4-way switches, nowadays I mostly take them out.
    yep, the std wiring is bollocks, replaced mine with a normal 3 way switch loom

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    yep, the std wiring is bollocks, replaced mine with a normal 3 way switch loom
    Can't believe anyone would get rid of a guitar because of it, or even judge one on the stock electronic setup, when it's so easy to change it to anything one can think of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The people who are saying the baja is as good as their custom shop tele, does that not make you question the wisdom of buying a several thousand quid guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2531
    Lucked out on mine. 6lbs something, lovely and resonant, neck is a beaut and sounds great with a mojo in the bridge ;)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18966
    thegummy said:
    The people who are saying the baja is as good as their custom shop tele, does that not make you question the wisdom of buying a several thousand quid guitar?
    Like that's ever going to happen. ROFL  :)
  • bluenilebluenile Frets: 48
    Looks like all the classic series models are going to be replaced by the Vinteras. The 70s tele deluxe looks great in that cream colour

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2333
    I honestly think the Baja is one of the best Teles available under £1000.

I currently have one, and a AV 69 Reissue Thinline...the 69 is a beautiful and light instrument. Probably easier to play. Gorgeous nitro finish.

The Baja is more of a classic Tele build...mine isn't too heavy but I'm used to bass guitars.

The neck is pretty damn huge...it's fun to play, sounds fantastic (those pickups!) and looks the part for an incredible price.

No doubt Fender think they can discontinue to make more money with the higher end guitars based on a similar spec.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited June 2019
    Love mine... picked up cheap on eBay as the seller had listed it as “butternut squash telecaster”... stripped the body and neck and refin’d, ripped out that awful switching system and added a set of mojo ‘59’s

spare gigging guitar after my ‘61!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2019
    poopot said:
    Love mine... picked up cheap on eBay as the stellar had listed it as “butternut squash telecaster”... stripped the body and neck and refin’d, ripped out that awful switching system and added a set of mojo ‘59’s

spare gigging guitar after my ‘61!

Lovely  3
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited June 2019
    ^ that does look very nice.  But that's more credit to you rather than Fender.  It's come a long way from the way it left the factory!  From your description all that's original is the wooden bits, tuners, and maybe the pickguard.

I confess I've never met a Baja I liked, although there is clearly considerable variation in examples.  What's the appeal?  The pickups?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    ^ that does look very nice.  But that's more credit to you rather than Fender.  It's come a long way from the way it left the factory!  From your description all that's original is the wooden bits, tuners, and maybe the pickguard.

I confess I've never met a Baja I liked, although there is clearly considerable variation in examples.  What's the appeal?  The pickups?
    For me it was the neck profile. Really nice... and the price (£300 from evil bay)

pickups for me were a bit “meh” tbh! But that’s an easy change!... that said a lot of folk rave about them...
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    So, the full details of the Vintera range are now officially out. The modified 50's Tele's get a U profile neck with modern frets/radius. That's a shame as for me it was the soft V neck which really sold the Baja Tele. Anyway, there are plenty out there second hand, so perhaps it was time for a change.