Sanding a Glossy Neck

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I've got a guitar which has always had problems with the finish. Lacquer could get quite tacky/soft in certain conditions, bit of "orange peel" -ing, and just very dull looking. 
    Have just finished trying to improve it. I used a mixture of couple of different grades of scotchbright, some very fine w n' d on the neck. Then brasso all over, then some silver polishing cloth I found in local hrdwre shop, which is used wet then dry. Then gave it a good buff up with beeswax.

Has worked well. Looks much better, and more importantly feels lush!

Broke the electrics when I took them out right enough. Don't know what I've done. Might just find a schematic and start again. 

It's a Gibson 'THE Paul'...should be same kind of setup as an SG?
    Don't forget that 'The Paul' was originally a satin finish, not gloss.

If you do swap the caps, keep the old ones as there is always a completist that will want them  ;)
    Are the pickups the original T-Tops?
    Hi kf. Yeah they are t-tops. Sounds good. It's a deluxe (in avatar) gold-burst. I'd say it looks way "cleaner" but still well used. Sticky-ness has all but gone. It's around 80/81 iirc.

I've certainly been playing it more already!

I trimmed the leg of the broken one and soldered a new leg on  :o Don't see me selling it anyway  :)

Ah, I see. I was referring to the all Walnut original 1979-81 issue of "The Paul".
    Yours seems to be a slightly later Firebrand "The Paul' Deluxe, all mahogany, so I'm not sure what the finish would be on those (probably nitro?).
    Glad you got sorted though, enjoy  :) 
    Cheers bud  :)

Yeah all mahogany. Seems to be nitro that hadn't hardened properly. 

Heard someone say that there's something in brasso that reacts with nitro to harden it. No idea if that's true, or it was just the very top coat that hadn't went off. Seems cool now anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nah...
    I have zero problems with glossy necks. Just let go of the damned thing when changing hand position. Its quicker and easier.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom