Pete Thorn: THE SECRET to INCREDIBLE STRAT CLEAN TONES!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    Branshen said:
    Now does anyone have any suggestions for a good germanium fuzz that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? 
    Mooer grey faze?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    tone1 said:
    This is the only pedal I’m using.... :)

https://i.imgur.com/5NhwV5i.jpg
    Tone, a bloody GREAT pedal that ! :)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5192
    edited June 2019
    tone1 said:
    This is the only pedal I’m using....

https://i.imgur.com/5NhwV5i.jpg
    Tone, a bloody GREAT pedal that !
    Living so near to Joe’s Pedals isn’t helping my addiction 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Silicon Fuzz Face works just as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Silicon Fuzz Face works just as well.
    Indeed. I like the Roger mayer axis. 

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Axis_Fuzz/p847124_6532845.aspx

Gain on max, then drop it a smidge so it's not noisy. Crystal clean through to mayhem on volume pot. Easy. 

Germanium ain't all that. I think this is the best fuzz face I've used. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    Some questions for those who use this approach:

- What happens in between those two extreme settings.  Can you also get a nice bitey crunch going on with a slight rolloff?  

- I only ever hear about this method applied to Strats - how would humbuckers fare?

- Does this only work with Germanium fuzzes?
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2970
    tFB Trader
    Yes it goes from mayhem to clean or hairy clean with degrees of filth along the way. I don't use overdrive much on it's own, most of the time it's a base for fuzz, do everything on the vol pot. Depending on your vol pot taper it can be a bit quick going from full-on to drive-ish sounds. But that's ace in itself.
    Si fuzz works just fine.
    Humbuckers can be fine though more chance of flabbing out, depending on pickups and the fuzz itself etc
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3086
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Corvus said:
    Yes it goes from mayhem to clean or hairy clean with degrees of filth along the way. I don't use overdrive much on it's own, most of the time it's a base for fuzz, do everything on the vol pot. Depending on your vol pot taper it can be a bit quick going from full-on to drive-ish sounds. But that's ace in itself.
    Si fuzz works just fine.
    Humbuckers can be fine though more chance of flabbing out, depending on pickups and the fuzz itself etc
    Great info - thanks!

Trading feedback here
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5192
    edited June 2019
  • tweedphantweedphan Frets: 51
    barnstorm said:
    It's a cool sound – if the video sets anyone off on a shopping trip, I'd highly recommend Joe Gore's Cult pedals (germanium OD rather than fuzz) for a similar sort of effect.
    Oh dear - your comment has just cost me a small investment........
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19155
    Branshen said:
    Now does anyone have any suggestions for a good germanium fuzz that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? 
    Read your comment & thought, I have a really nice boutique germanium fuzz pedal that was a great price a few years back, I'll share my good luck & wisdom here  :3
    So I searched for DHA amps 'Fuzzy Feeling' only to find that Dave Hall died suddenly last year  :'(
    http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/dha#

Hope you find your tone.

• timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 273
    Trude said:
    Some questions for those who use this approach:

- I only ever hear about this method applied to Strats - how would humbuckers fare?

- Does this only work with Germanium fuzzes?

MI Audio Neo Fuzz here with a semi-hollow/humbuckers in this way and sounds brilliant. Is my main clean to hairy tone.

Have read that the Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive retains the highs with vol roll off in the same way as a germanium fuzz (think Matt Schofield references this in one of his demo's), but is more of an overdrive sound if you're looking for that rather than fuzz.
    timbuk02 said:

MI Audio Neo Fuzz here with a semi-hollow/humbuckers in this way and sounds brilliant. Is my main clean to hairy tone.

Interesting - I already use a MI Blues Box deluxe and a Crunchbox, so I might keep an eye out for a Neo Fuzz too :)

Trading feedback here
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    tweedphan said:
    barnstorm said:
    It's a cool sound – if the video sets anyone off on a shopping trip, I'd highly recommend Joe Gore's Cult pedals (germanium OD rather than fuzz) for a similar sort of effect.
    Oh dear - your comment has just cost me a small investment........
    Joe Gore's Duh! fuzz is also exceptional. Silicon but very cool.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    edited June 2019
    Zvex pedals like the Super Hard On and Distortron do this sort of thing as well for anyone who wants that clean up sparkle without fuzz.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    edited June 2019
    munckee said:
    Haven't watched the whole video yet but Strat into fender amp with compressor makes the strat clean sound in my head.

Yup, I like that too...what I'd call the Mark Knopfler 'Sultans' tone. But  I also like the slightly edgier glassy tone from using some form of distortion or overdrive and rolling off the guitar volume just as Pete Thorn was doing. Interestingly I can get that same glassiness using my Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive pedal that you can buy for under £25.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Out of interest,

If I was to build a Fuzz Face clone, with a pre volume knob, and post volume knob, could I essentially get this in a pedal in a single click?

I fancy a project