Fender Custom Shop values

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3774
edited June 2019 in Guitar
I have a few guitars for sale and, while now reaching GAS overkill (it’s drawing to a close...), I’ve been offered a 2013 ‘63 Relic CS Strat with certificate, case, hand-wound pickups, etc. but I’m clueless on value (I’ll be selling it).

Any of you kind souls advise?

Edit: this is it - and it's absolutely amazing to play.  So much so that, despite listing it, I am teetering on keeping it.  It's the only single coil guitar I own, as it stands, and I've fallen in love with how it feels and plays.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 319
    Circa £2k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1099
    Unless it's a colour/spec someone really wants, you will probally find £18-1900 more the price you will get for it.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3774
    AlexO said:
    Unless it's a colour/spec someone really wants, you will probally find £18-1900 more the price you will get for it.
    Lake Placid Blue. Pretty nice.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Don't 'Heavy Relic' Strats polarise the demand somewhat?......I'm amazed how long they stick around (here at least).

If I had the two grand to flutter around, it's a Journeyman relic or the equiv of a VOS finish......but I could be atypical of the market I fear.

Love the rest of the vibe and specs of the Customshop guitars.  

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry, it’s actually a Relic.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    @imalrightjack  ;YMMV...........just not 'ma thang'........LBP with Rosewood neck looks a peach though.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    @SRich This is rosewood. Looks pretty nice. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    Min £2000 if you're in no particular rush, possibly a little more if you're lucky and depending on where you sell it.  Used CS prices have been edging up because it costs about £3,500 for a new one these days.  I find it's only here where people still expect to pay £1,800 :)   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    If you put it up for 1800 I’d expect it to be sold very quickly.

I sold a relic tele for 2k a while back, I had about 4 or 5 offers at about 1700-1800 over 2 weeks
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2219
    I think the prices of used stuff at Coda/Peach etc is a pretty good benchmark. 
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    Fishboy7 said:
    I’d agree but a private sale price is typically 10% or so less as stores will offer returns, setups and service etc and not all private sellers will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Given the Coda/Peach prices, I think this is a fair starting point for negotiation!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5449
    Fishboy7 said:
    I’d agree but a private sale price is typically 10% or so less as stores will offer returns, setups and service etc and not all private sellers will.
    Plus shops have to charge VAT on their markup...
    Do you only get 60's style oval C necks on CS Strats?  I thought my love affair with Strats was over but this is swinging me right back into wanting one.  Preferably not a relic though!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5449
    edited June 2019
    Do you only get 60's style oval C necks on CS Strats?  I thought my love affair with Strats was over but this is swinging me right back into wanting one.  Preferably not a relic though!
    It's pretty common (often gets used on 60-62 and 64 models), but I suppose that's because it's popular. You can get anything you want if it's your order, otherwise the neck shape is usually dictated by the year it's simulating, which on Strats goes from big (mid 50s, e.g. 10/56 or 57 Soft V) to thin-is (59, 63 - I've seen 63s with both the 60's oval and its own proprietary '63 carve which I believe is thinner), to medium ("mid-60s") back to bigger again once you get to 1965...
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    The colour over colour (lpd over 3tsb) ought to mean you can ask a bit more for it too.  Probably more desirable but more expensive in the first place as more work goes into a finish like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:
    The colour over colour (lpd over 3tsb) ought to mean you can ask a bit more for it too.  Probably more desirable but more expensive in the first place as more work goes into a finish like that.
    In that case, the £2k listed fee is a steal.  But still tempted to keep it!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    I ended up buying @i_b_tulloch  's Tone Machine Strat @2k I considered it a bloody good deal.  I think he did the fretboard a generous favour selling his other strats and a tele for less
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Whitecat said:
    It's pretty common (often gets used on 60-62 and 64 models), but I suppose that's because it's popular. You can get anything you want if it's your order, otherwise the neck shape is usually dictated by the year it's simulating, which on Strats goes from big (mid 50s, e.g. 10/56 or 57 Soft V) to thin-is (59, 63 - I've seen 63s with both the 60's oval and its own proprietary '63 carve which I believe is thinner), to medium ("mid-60s") back to bigger again once you get to 1965...
    My ‘61 has a 65 C neck (as spec’d by Coda) and it’s perfect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72575

Edit: this is it - and it's absolutely amazing to play.  So much so that, despite listing it, I am teetering on keeping it.  It's the only single coil guitar I own, as it stands, and I've fallen in love with how it feels and plays.

Keep it. There's no other sensible option.

Personally I'm not a fan of the colour-over-sunburst thing at all, I think it looks horrible, but I could probably live with it if I'd acquired it by accident and loved the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein