Fake or Genuine?

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
edited June 2019 in Guitar
I'm looking at the following on eBay but something made me think it may be fake.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Gibson-Les-Paul-Double-Cutaway/223564455463?hash=item340d7ade27:g:4aUAAOSwVXpdESfV

I Googled to find a similar model and found this Fretboard sale from 2015:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/37450/sold-2005-gibson-les-paul-double-cut-special-faded-cherry

There are differences (tuners, rear cover), is the eBay one fake?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72584
    edited June 2019
    Genuine.

The tuners have been changed, they're notorious for breaking and the white-button ones are hard to get. Those are Schaller-logo ones, which are otherwise identical to the Gibson ones with the same keys. (Some Gibson ones of that style are made by Grover.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14570
    The keystone buttons on that specific guitar look doubly wrong because they are the “double ring” type. Gibson Standard model guitars usually have “single ring” buttons.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72584
    The keystone buttons on that specific guitar look doubly wrong because they are the “double ring” type. Gibson Standard model guitars usually have “single ring” buttons.
    For some reason Schaller do that - single ring on the Gibson-logo ones they make, double ring (which is like 70s Gibsons) on their own-logo ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein