Setzer/Stray Cats/Live Stage Rig

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
in Guitar tFB Trader
Saw The Stray Cats live last night - 40th anniv tour - Manchester Apollo

He has totally mastered his art - So slick and effortless - I tried a few licks, chords and parts today, yet I'm seriously below par - Part of me says he is so inspirational - Yet equally annoying that I can't get close to where I need to be - Even the bits I can play, I'm not consistent enough to play without the odd error - Totally appreciative of what he delivered last night

Minimal stage rig - No floor pedal - His Fender valve rig + echo unit + a long cable - Plus talent - I think 4 guitars used - All 6120 versions

Not a flash light show, gimmicks, or an extravaganza regarding 'showmanship' - Just 3 guys who delivered a masterful gig

Just found this ref Setzer's live rig - courtesy of premierguitar.com 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HU84CCvST8
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    I'm seeing him tonight in Hammersmith.  He's a very talented player, been wanting to see him for quite a while.  Properly excited!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    I'm seeing him tonight in Hammersmith.  He's a very talented player, been wanting to see him for quite a while.  Properly excited!
    Likewise - I've wanted to see him for years - Wanted to see him with his big band but UK shows were very limited - Decent support band as well - Green Day meets some rock n roll

Enjoy the gig and update later
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    A phenomenal talent, definitely overlooked because he makes it all seem so effortless and easy. 
  • Was there as well. Great gig and what a player. 
      Noticed that the orange Gretsch he started the show with had a hole in the upper bout so having
      watched the video above it must be this one. He also used the green one a fair bit. Whenever I see someone this good
      I always feel like having a bonfire on the back lawn when I get home and burning all my guitars in shame!    :s

tFB Trader
    Was there as well. Great gig and what a player. 
      Noticed that the orange Gretsch he started the show with had a hole in the upper bout so having
      watched the video above it must be this one. He also used the green one a fair bit. Whenever I see someone this good
      I always feel like having a bonfire on the back lawn when I get home and burning all my guitars in shame!    :s

I was to far away to see if it was his old 'un or replica - Link/pic missing from your posting

I know what you mean about the bonfire, but don't agree with 'shame' - I think you have to learn to cover the song to match your ability - doesn't need to be a DNA replica - Yet equally he is a phenomenal talent, so take influences from it and adapt to suit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    I was also there. Absolute consumate proffessionals. The lighting and sound where excellent. If you noticed he has an exact same rig behind the one he was using.     Basmman and re301.       Trouble is my gretsch gas has gone through the bloody roof.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7929
    edited June 2019
    I saw them in Birmingham. Was incredible, three people with little equipment making a massive and beautiful noise.  
    Setzers voice was note perfect and smooth, his guitar playing utterly faultless, appearing effortless.  Bass and drums also spectacular. 
    There was fantastic chemistry in stage, lovely that they seem to get on so well. 
    Only downside was crushing overcrowding at the gig, and merch prices were laughable. 
    Loved it. 
    Wasn’t so keen on the overly trebly ‘hotter’ tones of the new Hot Rods, the 59 sounded wonderful
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Those guys were a big influence for me. In my mid teens a friend's older brother challenged me to learn two album's-worth of Cliff Gallup then, with perfect timing, the Stray Cats burst onto the scene with Setzer much influenced by Gallup's playing. They had such incredible energy and stage presence. For me it was the appealing alternative to punk. Setzer also seemed to be able to soak up every other rockabilly guitar style, bring it forward nearly three decades and then add his own creativity until he owned the genre.

Really good to hear they are still out there rocking.
    tFB Trader
    I was also there. Absolute consumate proffessionals. The lighting and sound where excellent. If you noticed he has an exact same rig behind the one he was using.     Basmman and re301.       Trouble is my gretsch gas has gone through the bloody roof.
    yes I noticed the spare rig as well
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7072
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Twenty-one tunes in about 90 minutes!  I was surprised they played both Runaway Boys and Stray Cat Strut 1 & 5. 

What a brilliant band though, tight as anything.
    Did anyone notice near the end he turned it up a bit. what a sound these guys get for a trio.
    Your in for a treat.
  • Jim-BobJim-Bob Frets: 15
    Not sure that this is much of a contribution to the debate but I am totally excited to be going to see them tonight for the first time!  Especially keen to hear the live tone compared to the recordings.  I play a big Gretsch 6120 and can't wait to see the master.  I really want to see the support act too - consistently excellent way of hearing new stuff - anyone know who they are?
  • Jim-BobJim-Bob Frets: 15
    .... Just checked that "Internet" to answer to my own question....Apparently the support are the Living End.
    tFB Trader
    Did anyone notice near the end he turned it up a bit. what a sound these guys get for a trio.
    yes noticed it got a touch louder as the night went on
    tFB Trader
    Twenty-one tunes in about 90 minutes!  I was surprised they played both Runaway Boys and Strat Cat Strut 1 & 5. 

wow Steve -  I never counted - A few songs from the new album as well - Have brought it - Sounds like they had never been away - So nothing new as such, so just more great rockabilly etc
    tFB Trader
    Jim-Bob said:
    .... Just checked that "Internet" to answer to my own question....Apparently the support are the Living End.
    decent band - Seen loads of poor support acts over the years but this was a decent band - From Oz
    tFB Trader
    Jim-Bob said:
    decent band - Seen loads of poor support acts over the years but this was a decent band - From Oz
    Yes they were great - a bit of The Clash in there too I thought. Was that a ring modulator the guitarist used for one song?
    tFB Trader
    Twenty-one tunes in about 90 minutes!  I was surprised they played both Runaway Boys and Strat Cat Strut 1 & 5. 

wow Steve -  I never counted - A few songs from the new album as well - Have brought it - Sounds like they had never been away - So nothing new as such, so just more great rockabilly etc
    Neither did I! But this is the same set:
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stray-cats/2019/o2-academy-birmingham-england-7b911ad4.html

Sorry not to hang around for a chat Mark, Pete was driving and wanted to beat the rush!
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    I don't like the style of music so much but I find myself listening in awe and appreciation