Setzer/Stray Cats/Live Stage Rig

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    Twenty-one tunes in about 90 minutes!  I was surprised they played both Runaway Boys and Strat Cat Strut 1 & 5. 

What a brilliant band though, tight as anything.
    wow Steve -  I never counted - A few songs from the new album as well - Have brought it - Sounds like they had never been away - So nothing new as such, so just more great rockabilly etc
    Neither did I! But this is the same set:
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stray-cats/2019/o2-academy-birmingham-england-7b911ad4.html

Sorry not to hang around for a chat Mark, Pete was driving and wanted to beat the rush!
    No problem - weird lace to bump into each other anyway

Yes a ring modulator on one track - And another Gretsch man as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7072
    tFB Trader

Sorry not to hang around for a chat Mark, Pete was driving and wanted to beat the rush!
    No problem - weird lace to bump into each other anyway

Yes a ring modulator on one track - And another Gretsch man as well
    We must stop meeting in the toilets!

I don't think I've ever heard a ring modulator used before. Apart from the Daleks.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18967
    Saw them at Newcastle Mayfair 1980, really tiny audience, absolutely brilliant performance.
    Great to hear that Brian Setzer still has 'it'. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Well what a gig that was! They were fantastic. I’ve wanted to see Setzer for years. Like 30 or more! Big beautiful sound from 3 very talented musicians. Played 3 Gretsches. Mostly the orange one, but a green and a red sparkle too.  
    tFB Trader
    Saw them at Newcastle Mayfair 1980, really tiny audience, absolutely brilliant performance.
    Great to hear that Brian Setzer still has 'it'. 
    Well what a gig that was! They were fantastic. I’ve wanted to see Setzer for years. Like 30 or more! Big beautiful sound from 3 very talented musicians. Played 3 Gretsches. Mostly the orange one, but a green and a red sparkle too.  
    Yes he still has it in abundance - Glad you enjoyed the show @springhead - Like wise I've wanted to see him for many years
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7372
    Never heard them but I noticed a review in Guitar Techniques that seemed good as well. What should I listen to?
    Rock This Town is quite a showcase track and tells you what they're about.  It was Stray Cat Strut that first grabbed me when it came out.  I remember thinking if I ever learned to play guitar then it would be amazing to play that on stage.  Happily I've now done that a few times.
  • Tikibird44Tikibird44 Frets: 15
    I can only agree, what a fantastic gig. I have waited 40 years to see them. I didn't go with a friend when they played Eric's in Liverpool and then had tickets for The Brian Setzer Orchestra but the gig was cancelled.
    Got to also credit the Techs as they had a whole backline set up in about 15 mins.
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    Never heard them but I noticed a review in Guitar Techniques that seemed good as well. What should I listen to?
    sure you can buy individual early albums - But nothing wrong with Rock This Town - The Collection - ie Greatest hits
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1267
    Jim-Bob said:
    .... Just checked that "Internet" to answer to my own question....Apparently the support are the Living End.
    decent band - Seen loads of poor support acts over the years but this was a decent band - From Oz
    Yes they were great - a bit of The Clash in there too I thought. Was that a ring modulator the guitarist used for one song?
    There was definitely a pitch shifter or octaver in play at one point (on top of all the juicy White Falcon into cranked Marshall action), and yes, they were bloody good and I will absolutely be checking them out on and hopefully buying some of their stuff later on today...

I have nothing to add to the comments on The Stray Cats. Great material, great performances, and great of-fashioned stagecraft and showmanship all round.It’s hugely to the credit of all three of them that they can still be The Stray Cats and not have it end up as Brian Setzer plus a couple of other blokes...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I was supposed to go to the Hammersmith gig, but couldn't, so the mate I was going with took his son instead.

...and, while there, they bumped into Jeff Beck and Johnny Depp.

:/ 
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    Excellent!  for them at least!  I did suspect that Beck would be there, big fan and friend of Setzer.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7072
    tFB Trader

...and, while there, they bumped into Jeff Beck and Johnny Depp.

Yeah but I bumped into @guitars4you at the Manchester gig!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    edited June 2019

Saw the Stray Cats at Worthing Assembly Halls in 1989, when they were touring their "Blast Off" album.

Amazing band, and I was lucky to be right at the front soaking it all up (it was a standing audience, so no issues getting to the foot of the stage).

Not sure I'd want to go now though, too big a venue and too many people!

If I remember correctly Setzer smashed his orange guitar up at one gig in the 80's, threw bits of it in the audience and the roadies had to go and collect the bits from the audience members so it could be repaired!

I'd imagine that one is so much like Trigger's broom now that he just brings it out as a bit of nostalgia.

EDIT: Should have watched the video first, all the stories are in there!