*** NOW FOUND! *** Guitar left on train, Birmingham area

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
edited August 2019 in Guitar
Chris Helme has just posted this on Facebook. Keep your eyes peeled, please.

"Hi everyone. Please would you mind sharing this?

Like an idiot I left my guitar on a train on Saturday the 22nd of June. I was travelling on the 4:10pm Hamstead (Birmingham) to Wolverhampton train but I got off at Birmingham New street and left my guitar on the overhead luggage rack. It hasn’t turned up in any of the lost property on that route, so I can only suspect now that it’s been stolen.

I am reaching out to any of you who can help share this, as I imagine who ever stole it would want to sell it, so it will probably emerge at some point.

It’s a 1974 Gibson J50. I’ve had it for 22 years, so its pretty special to me. It’s my work horse guitar, I’ve written countless songs on it and I’m totally gutted I had a brain fart and left it on that train.

Here’s a few pictures of me playing it. "

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    What a sickener. I hope it makes its way back to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9550
    Wow, hope it all works out mate 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18802
    Ooft! Sick feeling in the stomach.
    Hope that there are still some good people out there & he gets it back safely.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    what ... the ... feck!?!?! I can't fathom how one could forget a guitar!?!?!

Still, what is done is done, I sincerely hope it gets returned. 

Actually, I say how could you forget ...... When Mrs A was a baby, my mother in law walked 2 miles into the town centre with her in a pram. She went in a shop and left the pram/baby outside, as was the custom back in the early 70s. She came out of the shop, strolled home, let herself in, sat down. Something felt wrong then she realised that she had left the baby back in town!!!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    axisus said:

Easily done, I expect.

Not quite the same, but I recently left my iPad in the seat pocket on a plane. No sign of it, and I've had to buy a new one.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9681
    axisus said:

Not quite the same, but unloaded the car one evening and took everything indoors. Next morning I realised I was a guitar short. Thankfully it was still on my driveway (which considering that I live in Crawley is nothing short of miraculous).

Anyway, hope the OP's turns up.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    axisus said:

You probably hope you won’t do it yourself....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    He needs to knock the old skunk on the head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Was he the Seahorses chap?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    Was he the Seahorses chap?
    Yes, that's him. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited June 2019
    I've left a few things on a train, from uni project work (got it back as its not valuable to anyone) to £80 worth of Hotel Chocolat...that disappeared!

He will never see this guitar again.  Someone most likely took it home and just kept it as an ornament. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    The people of Wolverhampton are good, honest folk he'll be fine (!).
    I don't know about second hand shops but there are a couple of music shops in Wolverhampton so might be worthwhile dropping them a line. 

axisus said:

Actually, I say how could you forget ...... When Mrs A was a baby, my mother in law walked 2 miles into the town centre with her in a pram. She went in a shop and left the pram/baby outside, as was the custom back in the early 70s. She came out of the shop, strolled home, let herself in, sat down. Something felt wrong then she realised that she had left the baby back in town!!!
    I once got the bus back from shopping ( Wolverhampton as it happens) and when I sat down at home remembered that I'd driven to the shops. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18802
    Don't trains have CCTV these days?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    axisus said:

Errr yesss, I did actually manage to do this not once, but twice in a 12 month period with 2 Strats. I still feel sick thinking about it now, 25 years later, especially the Oly White Squier JV Strat
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22916
    I've left a book on a train.  And a Peter Frampton album.  But I can't imagine forgetting a guitar.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    HAL9000 said:
    axisus said:

Not quite the same, but unloaded the car one evening and took everything indoors. Next morning I realised I was a guitar short. Thankfully it was still on my driveway (which considering that I live in Crawley is nothing short of miraculous).

similarly left my favourite guitar on my doorstep after a long weekend and not much brain function left. Didn't realise till I left for work in the morning and tripped over the case.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    sgosden said:
    HAL9000 said:
    axisus said:

similarly left my favourite guitar on my doorstep after a long weekend and not much brain function left. Didn't realise till I left for work in the morning and tripped over the case.
    You don't live in Birmingham do you.  lol
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Hope you get it back buddy, fingers crossed for you and i'll keep an eye out down south.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Nile Rodgers left the Hitmaker on the NY subway and got it back, so it can happen.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    bbill335 said:
    Nile Rodgers left the Hitmaker on the NY subway and got it back, so it can happen.

Peter Frampton lost his guitar for 32 years and got it back. There's always hope!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.