SORTED - Best UK Electric Guitar Maker?

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 512
edited July 2019 in Guitar
I am planning on commissioning a bespoke Thinline Telecaster build to celebrate my impending retirement.

Who do you consider to be the best electric guitar/Telecaster builder in the UK right now? I have a very good idea of what I want and I'm looking for supreme craftmanship plus a totally flawless build - I am insanely picky.

Thank you Fretboarders
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Patrick James Eggle.

I'm certain he'll do you a thinline Oz.

I've got two of his and they are both flawless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    Josh Parkin - https://www.joshparkinguitars.co.uk

He only just relocated to the UK at the end of last year, has spent most of his luthiery career in Japan... their loss is our gain. His work is very, very good.

He's got a Tele up on Reverb at the moment so you can see the kind of work he does, but obviously you can go full custom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Thanks @Whitecat ;
    Thanks @andy1839 he's on my shortlist.
  • joleefret1joleefret1 Frets: 60
    damien probett
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @joleefret1 ;
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5070
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you @fretfinder ;
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    Castro said:
    Who do you consider to be the best electric guitar/Telecaster builder in the UK right now? 
    Trouble with a Q like that is that most people are going to recommend the person who built their bespoke guitar.  Obviously, they think that their builder is the best (unless they had a particularly bad experience of course!).

There are a lot of custom builders out there and on here too.

Look at their websites or facebook pages or whatever and look at the style of their builds.  There will be many out there building thinline Teles, but not in the style that you want.  

Narrow it down and then talk to them.  Will they build a properly bespoke, or do they build their variant (and only their variant).  Do they "get" what you want, are you confident that they get your pickiness too?  

Feline make some beautiful guitars, though mainly LP styles, they've done Teles too.
    AndyJr1515 (here) would make you something stunning as a true one-off.
    Crimson Guitars do a few "interesting" variants - and offer you the option to build it yourself (and really make it your hand made).

There are dozens and dozens more, but any of the above would get my money if I was looking for something like that now.

And a word of warning; some small builders have, in the past, taken the money and .... (disappeared).  Not that they necessarily set out to do that, but life can have a tendency to disrupt the small building business, so be careful where you spend.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    Damiam Probett would be my suggestion, if his Meteor model appeals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Just buy this;

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116793/thorn-so-cal-custom-series-guitar/p1

You'll never find a nicer thinline - and it'll have the added bonus of saving me from the existential crisis of forever having to look at the sale ad, while never quite having the money to purchase it.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    TTony said:
    Castro said:
    Who do you consider to be the best electric guitar/Telecaster builder in the UK right now? 
    Trouble with a Q like that is that most people are going to recommend the person who built their bespoke guitar.  Obviously, they think that their builder is the best (unless they had a particularly bad experience of course!).

There are a lot of custom builders out there and on here too.

Look at their websites or facebook pages or whatever and look at the style of their builds.  There will be many out there building thinline Teles, but not in the style that you want.  

Narrow it down and then talk to them.  Will they build a properly bespoke, or do they build their variant (and only their variant).  Do they "get" what you want, are you confident that they get your pickiness too?  

Feline make some beautiful guitars, though mainly LP styles, they've done Teles too.
    AndyJr1515 (here) would make you something stunning as a true one-off.
    Crimson Guitars do a few "interesting" variants - and offer you the option to build it yourself (and really make it your hand made).

There are dozens and dozens more, but any of the above would get my money if I was looking for something like that now.

And a word of warning; some small builders have, in the past, taken the money and .... (disappeared).  Not that they necessarily set out to do that, but life can have a tendency to disrupt the small building business, so be careful where you spend.

Good advice.

If you do got the Crimson route, I'd recommend trying to book a bit of extra time with them for a Thinline.  I did a Crimson course recently, but it's huge amount to get done in 6 days.  I ended up taking it home and wiring it at home.

There was another guy on my course who had booked himself in for the Monday and Tuesday of the following week, which was not a bad idea.  You can do a basic build in 6 days, but if you want to do a Thinline, it's extra work chambering it and doing the F hole.  If you want any nice inlays they will take time as well.

If you do go the Crimson option, you won't be able to get a nice gloss nitro finish if that's important to you (at least not if you want to take it home with you at the end of the week).  It's either their flash coat process, or an oil finish if you want to take it home when you finish.

Having said that, I'd recommend the experience.  I really enjoyed it.

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    Can’t speak to the build quality vs Probett or Feline, but even as something of a Tele-phobe I’m intrigued by Wirebird’s thinlines. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts if you go as far as to visit the workshop (London) and play one, because the clips online are all of the ‘modern’ models being used to play the sort of music I really don’t enjoy.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    tFB Trader
    barnstorm said:
    Can’t speak to the build quality vs Probett or Feline, but even as something of a Tele-phobe I’m intrigued by Wirebird’s thinlines. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts if you go as far as to visit the workshop (London) and play one, because the clips online are all of the ‘modern’ models being used to play the sort of music I really don’t enjoy.

Sam is a fantastic luthier, who used to work for me about 15 years ago . His guitars will be excellent, and not in any way limited to the tech metal circles that have adopted his guitars along with Blackmachines etc

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3006
    Rob Williams also worth talking to.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    barnstorm said:

Sam is a fantastic luthier, who used to work for me about 15 years ago . His guitars will be excellent, and not in any way limited to the tech metal circles that have adopted his guitars along with Blackmachines etc
    Well there's a nice endorsement for you. Definitely worth considering, then.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    No such thing as "best" really. Personally I would go to Mr Eggle but that's no slight on others.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Waghorn well worth considering - I confess I've not owned one (yet) but they look to do insanely nice stuff.

http://waghornguitars.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/waghornguitars/

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Megii said:
    Waghorn well worth considering - I confess I've not owned one (yet) but they look to do insanely nice stuff.

http://waghornguitars.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/waghornguitars/

He really is worth considering, but you might have to wait a very long time, he's a very busy builder.